Can scanner signal be too strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMaine

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro-651 and Whistler 1065. Both scanners will not pickup any analog signals with my rooftop antenna. They get digital signal just fine. Can the signal with the antenna be too strong.

MDScanFan

You are not able to pick up any analog signals?
- What bands are you trying to listen to?
- What outside antenna are you using?
- Do you get analog signals with an antenna installed on the radio itself?
- If VHF, then NOAA from 162.4-162.55 are usually great test signals to try.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are using ARC500 or Win500 software, please attach your programming file and I will check it for problems. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped file.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro-651 and Whistler 1065. Both scanners will not pickup any analog signals with my rooftop antenna.
Hi & welcome to the RR forums. What specific analog stations are you unable to pick up? I gave your county's database page a quick glance. Looks as though your police and fire departments once operated on analog VHF, though they now operate on the state's P25 Phase-II system here. If you're reporting no activity on the VHF frequencies, they are most likely no longer in use. Do you have a local NOAA weather frequency you can tune to & if yes, are you picking it up?

TMaine

Premium Subscriber
The weather frequencies were the first analog frequencies I tried. I can’t get them. I can put the rubber duck antenna on and they come in. The digital frequencies are programmed in and they come in fine-just can’t get analog signals. Aircraft and Railroad won’t come in at all. I can hook the rooftop antenna to a twenty year old analog scanner and aircraft and railroad comes in fine.

TMaine

Premium Subscriber
If you are using ARC500 or Win500 software, please attach your programming file and I will check it for problems. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped file.
The digital frequencies were programmed using software but the analog frequencies(aircraft and railroad) I entered manually. Both digital and analog signals work fine with an antenna mounted on the scanner but when I plug in the rooftop antenna only digital works. Would the type of coax I used cause this. I used RG6.

TAbirdman

So with the "Stock" antenna the unit basically works fine - weather and other signals are picked up? What is the signal meter show on the strongest and weakest NOAA stations when the unit is on the stock antenna?

Is there a FM radio station antenna close to you? Its possible that with the external antenna the FM signal is interfering with the scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.