Can you add a new prefix "SOLVED" or some other way to mark a thread as Solved, when there is a question answered and or problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimab

Various sub forums here have prefixes that can be added to a post, great. But there is not an easy way to indicate a question has been answered or a solution has been found in that post. I can't edit the original title to indicate this, and I don't see a "Solved" prefix as an option.
Can we add a "solved" tag, OR a way to mark it as 'answered' or 'solved' ?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Or, after the original problem has been solved, just ask a moderator to consider locking the thread.

dimab

locking the thread doesn't provide the context I was trying to convey.
I would find it way more helpful to look at a list of threads (that maybe match a search result) and see ones that have an indicator that show it's been solved/fixed. "Locked" doesn't tell me the status.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Various sub forums here have prefixes that can be added to a post, great. But there is not an easy way to indicate a question has been answered or a solution has been found in that post. I can't edit the original title to indicate this, and I don't see a "Solved" prefix as an option.

A problem I have seen is often the "solution" is wrong, and locking out further comment prevents that from getting fixed. In addition, many solutions are only partial. I would not do that and have found myself blocked by "Locked" even this week in a tread where I had significant information that other will never see.

prcguy

I think this is a really good idea. When browsing for something to fix a problem this would indicate there is an answer.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Is an answer the correct technical answer? Who will oversee all the verification required and devote the time to respond to the additional workload?

The mods and admins have more than enough work updating databases and watching for conflicts.

It may be a laudable idea, but I can see conflicts arising from antenna opinions, simulcast issues, and other non-empirical topics.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Who would be in charge of assigning it as "resolved"?
Exactly...… What is a solution for one person may not work for another (different OS versions, different firmware, etc.). Also, there may be more than one solution for a given circumstance that works equally as well (different programming strategies etc.), and some folks may understand one better than the other.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
It should work just like it does on StackOverflow with accepted and upvoted / downvoted answers; the community decides. Doubt that's a capability here.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Frequently, for many problems, there will come along a solution that is cheaper, quicker, easier or more thorough. With a closed thread, there would be no easy way to pass it along for everyone short of starting a new thread.

Leave it alone.

dimab

Don’t lock it. The original poster can mark is solved. Like many places on the internet do this. Whatever specific question was asked and a solution is found, and is acceptable to the original poster, it deserves to be indicated it’s solved.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is there really that great of a need or demand for such a feature? Sounds like piling on to the already overworked mods (most of the stuff they do keeping this place running no one ever sees or realizes the extent of). I'm all for progress, however this idea seems more suited towards a customer support or highly technical site vs this place. And let's be honest, it's not as if marking a thread "Solved" is going to stop anyone from coming in and starting a thread asking the same questions that have been asked/answered dozens and dozens of times. Heck, that happens almost daily even when threads with the exact same subject are still on the first page of each section! :rolleyes:

mitbr

Everyone deserves input to solve a thread but because the OP of the thread is the owner, only they should be able post problem solved. This removes the burden off of any moderators.
Tim :cool:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I noticed that some folks just read the last post before making their post, and then make a post that is verbatim to a viable solution already made on post 3 and they are doing it on post 30. I try to read the whole thread before contributing.

How many times have we seen the original poster say "thank you everybody that solves my problem, I've got it working now. Thanks for all the help everybody" and they're doing that on Post Number 9 and you never hear from them again yet the thread goes on for five more pages often beating a dead horse.

This is a tough call, interesting suggestion, just don't know if it's feasible.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Unfortunately without an add-on, it can’t be done. Prefixes are added when a thread is created so adding a Solved prefix after the fact wouldn’t be possible.

It would also replace the original prefix which would make it harder to search for specific topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.