Can You Splain This To Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobs415

Just ordered a Pro-106 and thought I'd brush up on my radio knowledge. Wow! Things have changed since the days of my "programmable" Pro-2005 with 400 channels!

Can you help me define the following terms in common English, perhaps telling me what one term has to do with the other? These are terms that describe various groups of frequencies (I think!). I checked the Wiki section, found a few of these, but they're described in terms too technical for this old man! Have also screened some home video on YouTube. (Other sources?)

1. Bank
2. Scan List
3. Talk Group
4. Talk System
5. Channel
6. Object
7. System Type
8. Wild Card
9. Control

THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

N8IAA

Just ordered a Pro-106 and thought I'd brush up on my radio knowledge. Wow! Things have changed since the days of my "programmable" Pro-2005 with 400 channels!

Can you help me define the following terms in common English, perhaps telling me what one term has to do with the other? These are terms that describe various groups of frequencies (I think!). I checked the Wiki section, found a few of these, but they're described in terms too technical for this old man! Have also screened some home video on YouTube. (Other sources?)

1. Bank
2. Scan List
Bank is the old term, Scan List is where the frequencies are placed: 1-20.
3. Talk Group
Used on trunked systems for FD, PD, SO, city services. It kind of is like what different frequencies were used for: tac channels, etc..
4. Talk System
5. Channel
Still a conventional term for frequency: Disp: car 20 go to channel 2. On old scanners where the frequencies used to go.
6. Object
What TGID's and conventional frequencies are programmed into on GRE made scanners.
7. System Type
Motorola, EDACS, LTR
8. Wild Card
An in system way of finding new TGID's when done as a group. Or, when designated as Private, individual radio id's.
9. Control
You are probably refering to Control Channels. These are the trunking frequencies the scanner decodes so that you can hear the Voice Channels. These are the frequencies that TGID's are transmitted on.

THANK YOU!!

I know this seems like a lot, but it is still very similar to what conventional radios used to do:)
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

wyomingmedic

Larry did an excellent type up. Hopefully that answered exactly what you were asking. But since you were asking for definitions, I am wondering if you know much about "trunking" radio systems in general?

To truly understand what all of those terms are, in relation to scanning, you need to understand HOW the systems operate.

Take a peek here

Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

If you already knew all of that, then disregard. If not, hopefully it will help a bit.

WM

bobs415

Thanks

I am somewhat informed about trunking - ie the PROCESS of how the radio works, but the terms are difficult to keep track of! I just downloaded the manual for the 106, which attempts to explain much of what I'm asking. Loads of thanks to both of you for your assistance! -Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.