Can't Register Scanner...Serial Number Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
OK, first off - I have searched for the last 30 minutes, using different terms to try to find if this was covered before. If it has been it is buried in another thread and I didn't see it. The one I found that did address it basically said it magically just started working so that didn't help.

Here's the issue - I'm trying to register a 536 on my.uniden.com

I added the physical serial number but when I go to add the ESN so I can do the DMR upgrade...no good.

I enter all the digits (the last 9) and it gives me this error:

Check Sum passes. in Please go back by clicking your back button and enter a valid 8 digit serial number using integers.

You must enter 8 digits and only 8 digits for the scanner's Serial Number.

OK, let's go back and drop a digit. Nope!

The ESN number you entered is not 9 digits in length. Please recheck your input to ensure that you have entered the last 9 digits of your scanner's serial number into both serial number fields.

Please go back by clicking your back button.

Endless loop of back and forth with the same errors.

Someone else posted that they'd had this exact problem but they are the one who, when Paul posted a question in response, just said it started working for them and they didn't know why.

I've tried multiple times and, yes, searched for the answer here and haven't found it as of yet. And yes, I've entered it carefully, etc., etc.

If it's a simple fix then take it easy on me...I'm usually pretty good at this stuff but this one has me stumped and getting frustrated.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Which serial number did you use, the one found via the menu/firmware version or the one shown on the sticker on the back of the scanner?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Which serial number did you use, the one found via the menu/firmware version or the one shown on the sticker on the back of the scanner?

The first step I used the one on the scanner, then I went into add the ESN so I could get the DMR upgrade and that is where the error occurs, when trying to add the full ESN from the scanner menu.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You did see this post? https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/333436-serial-number.html

If that isn't helpful, perhaps Upman will see this in the next day or two.

Yes, sure did. And the instructions on the Uniden page linked to in that thread are what I followed...that's why I'm baffled. Since there was another thread from someone saying the exact thing I'm experiencing I know I'm not the only one to ever have an issue but that thread, unfortunately, just ended with the OP saying "it just worked now" and so there wasn't really any input from UPMan there like I was hoping there would be.

I've done the process before for someone else who isn't tech savvy and asked me to help (been awhile, though) so I was familiar with the process but when I helped them it worked like a charm so it giving these errors is throwing me off...

Last edited:

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
I have registered a few scanners and purchased DMR or ProVoice updates for a few people and I don't think the registration process is very straight forward when it comes to the serial number. I have seen a lot of others on here with trouble entering the SN.

I went back and looked at one of mine. After selecting "Radio Scanners" on my.uniden, I inputted the SN. I think this may be where your trouble is, based on my experiences and what I have read in your first post. The SN number I entered starts with a "Z260" and is 12 digits. So in my cases, I dropped the 376 (before Z) at the beginning. I entered (for example) Z2607800xxxx.

I think Uniden made a good product. I wish the engineers could have dumbed it down for me, though.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Looked at your registered products to see what the issue is...but no products are registered (used 03msc for account).

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, I found your other account. But, I cannot determine the complete serial number (under serial number it is missing 2 digits).

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Ok, I found your other account. But, I cannot determine the complete serial number (under serial number it is missing 2 digits).

Well, I noticed that but I typed the full one in on registration because I typed it then stopped and verified digit by digit because I know it is critical. Not sure what happened. So...do I need to add another and see if it takes the full one?

I know what to put where but it's like it just glitched. Username on there is my ham callsign so I assume that's the second one you found.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Be sure to verify that I entered the correct ESN/Checksum before you use that record to purchase an upgrade. If I misunderstood and entered it incorrectly, the key you get won't be correct.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Be sure to verify that I entered the correct ESN/Checksum before you use that record to purchase an upgrade. If I misunderstood and entered it incorrectly, the key you get won't be correct.

Copy that, thanks. Not sure why that happened - I'd done the process in the past so I knew what to expect and what to put where but something didn't go right, either my error or something else. Anyway, I appreciate it and sorry for the trouble. Hope you're doing better health-wise, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.