Cap Plus multi color codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Color codes are by frequency, so a separate freq for each color code should work.. Haven't seen a system like that yet..

D

DaveNF2G

I found this (apparently self-contradictory) information on the Whistler website:

"All DMR frequencies use Color Codes from 0-15 and all frequencies for a site will have the same color code. Each transmitter can have only one color code. Con+ and Cap+ systems can use different color codes on different frequencies."

I am still looking for a source of the official DMR standard and its specification for what is possible with color codes. So far a Google search only turns up hobbyist websites and Whistler.

D

DaveNF2G

A few minutes after posting the above, I found the ETSI documents.

"A Colour Code (CC) is present in the embedded signalling field and data/control burst to provide a simple means of addressing radio networks or a specific repeater, so that co-channel interference can be rejected."

Still looking for a "best practice" summary of how color codes should be used in a system.

D

DaveNF2G

One more quote from ETSI. This seems to indicate that two different color codes can be used on a single repeater pair.

"6.2.2.2 Colour Code
TDMA direct mode channels shall be provisioned with a colour code, similar to other modes of operation. Both timeslots operating on a particular carrier frequency may or may not use the same colour code. Additionally an "All Site" colour code is defined (F16) for use in TDMA direct mode systems. Receiving colour code F16 on a TDMA Direct mode channel shall be considered a qualified colour code. The "All Site" color code shall only be used when transmitting channel timing CSBKs on the MS unit's provisioned time slot, which may be either Timeslot 1 or Timeslot 2. An MS shall decode a channel timing CSBK with the "All Site" colour code in its provisioned time slot and its non provisioned time slot. This reduces the number of CSBK transmissions required to support wide area timing on an RF channel."

Emphasis added.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Multi color codes

Ok so color codes are by freq, that's seems to be the case on the system I'm monitoring. Same company using many freqs on one license and using several color codes for seperate departments.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ok so color codes are by freq, that's seems to be the case on the system I'm monitoring. Same company using many freqs on one license and using several color codes for seperate departments.

Yes...if you're seeing different talk groups on the same frequencies and different color codes come up, program accordingly. I have a system that has a DMR One Channel included (Referred to as Channel 7) but the rest of the system is CAP+. MotoTRBO has a lot of variables.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I didn't find an answer here, but this is the Motorola System Planner for MotoTrbo systems. It's about 390 pages long. I was surprised to see that Mototrbo repeaters can operate in analog mode.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/792940/Motorola-Mototrbo.html?page=3

From the manual,

As Capacity Plus is a single site trunking system, all the repeaters should use different
frequencies. Their color code can be the same or different. A Capacity Plus system has the ability
to share RF channel(s) with other systems, but it is necessary to ensure that all channels in all
overlapping systems have a unique frequency pair and color code combination

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Sure the same Cap+/LCap+ site can have frequencies with different color codes. It's not the norm but it can happen. There are several sites in my area that do this. For example:

System ABC, Site 1
Freq 1 CC 1
Freq 2 CC 5
Freq 3 CC 2
Freq 4 CC 7
Freq 5 CC 3

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As Capacity Plus is a single site trunking system, all the repeaters should use different
frequencies. Their color code can be the same or different. A Capacity Plus system has the ability
to share RF channel(s) with other systems, but it is necessary to ensure that all channels in all
overlapping systems have a unique frequency pair and color code combination

My inclination would be to read that as other systems in the area that have overlapping coverage with your systems and that are operating on the same RF frequencies need to use a different color code than the one you are using on your system.

I don't see anything in that quote regarding the repeater being used in analog mode.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The analog comment was an aside, unrelated to color code. There is more about overlapping repeaters and using cap codes to avoid interference in the manual. The manual has a lot of information, some of which helps scanner users as well DSD+ users.

My inclination would be to read that as other systems in the area that have overlapping coverage with your systems and that are operating on the same RF frequencies need to use a different color code than the one you are using on your system.

I don't see anything in that quote regarding the repeater being used in analog mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.