• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CAP PLUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIOGUY2002

So maybe someone can help me out with this,the system i need to access a channel for what Im setting up for cap plus keeps telling me Im out of range. But yet im not out of ranage, any idea on what im doing wrong.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
All the trunking radios I have programmed say out of range if the radio does not hear the control channel.
I would go back and look at my programming and make sure you have all the control channels for the right site if not you will get out of range.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Could be the wrong color code, channel numbers not set correctly in the Capacity Plus Voice list, channels not assigned to a site, channels assigned to the wrong sites, site list not assigned to the channel, etc, etc.

N1GTL

Database Admin
So maybe someone can help me out with this,the system i need to access a channel for what Im setting up for cap plus keeps telling me Im out of range. But yet im not out of ranage, any idea on what im doing wrong.

If all the other suggestions do not solve your issue, look at the RADIO ID. The ID cannot be higher than 65535. If you have a ham radio DMR ID in the radio, which is 7 digits, you will get an UNPROGRAMMED message, not OUT OF RANGE.

What kind of radio? With the exception of the XPR5550, press the navigation button three times to the left then three times to the right. This will display your RSSI. How well are you receiving the repeater?

Last edited:

N1GTL

Database Admin
Didn't know about the rssi trick, the radio is a xpr6550. I was aware of the id / groups and that's not the issue.

RSSI - press the left arrow 3 times then the right arrow 3 times in quick succession. If it is a CP system, it will beacon about every 2 seconds. When not receiving anything, the number should be around -125.00, give or take.

What is the RSSI threshold set in the radio? If it is set for say -100 but you're receiving the repeater at -108, you may get an out of range.

Is your antenna good?

How many repeaters are there? It can be a single site system but have multiple repeaters. All the repeaters need to be in the channel pool and they have to be assigned to the site in the correct order.

Bottom line... OUT OF RANGE = you're not hearing the repeater as it is programmed in your radio.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
Is this a new repeater being added to an existing system? If so, make sure it's been added to the Channel Pool in the subscriber. Otherwise, when it goes to the new repeater as the Rest Channel, the subscriber won't see it and will go OOR.

Larry

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
If you want to send me repeater and radio codeplugs, i would be happy to look at them. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.