Carroll Main Weak ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Seems like Carroll's main 33.94 has been broadcasting a rather weak signal for sometime now. I thought it was just my radios,but, Berk's county Pa is coming thru just as clearly as Carroll even at the fire station. The paging frequency seems to be coming thru loud and clear. (BTW, I live a mile from a tower). Anyone know what's going on? I'm thinking that it's all coming off the South Carroll tower and not much is coming north.

ianbarry

I live in Carroll also and I seem to get alot of interference from 867.4250. Do you seem to have the same problem. I also seem to have a weak signal off the channel that you are talking about.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
No problem with the 800's since the new tower went in.
If you are off from a tower you'll get crackling reception.
What makes you specify 867.4250? During trunking the broadcast freq
could be any of their dozen or so?

ianbarry

That freq I always seem to have more interference on then any other one. But I think that it depends on where in the county that I am.

flafiretwo

33.94 Replaced with 155.055

Our NEW Main Pager Alert Frequency is 155.055. Frequency 33.94 will continue to have a simulcast of the alerts, but it is no longer home for the majority of pagers.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I know paging has moved there, but, many other receivers including the ones set-up at the firehouses to receive dispatch are 33.94, these are used for siren control. I'm just curious why the signal is so weak; my guess is that they are using the southern tower many times and the northern tower is not broadcasting.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Spleen said:
Slightly OT, but does 33.94 transmit from the new tower in Lineboro?
Well, I'd a thought so, but, since the firehouses near this tower are receiving it so weakly I'm guessing not, at least not when it is coming thru poorly. 800 Mhz certainly comes off the new tower 5x5.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'd speculate that Carroll will replace the low band receivers as they die with hi band units for station dispatch audio / siren activation.

CA
Annapolis

mikev10

Feed Provider
There are 5 sites remaining on the Carroll system with low-band simulcast. There was a problem with the Quintron at the prime site a few weeks ago but it has been corrected, you guys may already see a difference. Already looking to phase the sirens at the stations over to VHF and many in station alerting systems have already been changed over. Will probably keep 1 transmitter on low-band at the prime site for sentimental purposes in the end, moving it to an antenna at the top of the site for better coverage. When the TRS was installed and we went to a 6 site low-band simulcast, the LB antenna at the prime site was mounted lower on the tower. Mike V.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Sorry Mike, No Joy.
Just tried on several radios.
Barely readable up here in the most north-eastern corner of Carroll.
Everything else is coming in off the new tower at 5 bars.

mikev10

Feed Provider
There is no low-band transmitter at the new site in north-eastern corner of the county, only VHF. I suggest using 155.055 up there as there are no plans to add 33.94 to that site. Sorry.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much thought that, where is the nearest low band xmitter?
On one scanner I'm kinda stuck.....don't laugh, it has a crystal.
It's only used in the garage.

mikev10

Feed Provider
There is one just east of Manchester near Rt 27. I will have its output checked next time we get to the site it may have degraded. I'll try and let you know.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I figured that it was still hot on that tower.
It's probably just me.....I'll put more tinfoil on the scanner's antenna:wink:
The low band seems to make it a long distance usually.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.