cb placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I have a 1997 Jeep grand cherokee laredo. I am looking to place a small CB in side. I want it hidden, but the mic semi available. I am also putting a small descrete antenna. Any suggestions on placement?

car2back

wesm1957 said:
That's the one I am using in my Alero, good wroking radio!

I was thinking about purchasing one of those, but was a little scared too by it's unconventional-ness.

Are you pretty pleased with it's preformance?

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I've got one as well, and can't complain about it. It's running into a Midland glass mount CB antenna and works better than I expected for such a low-profile setup. It's not gonna talk for 20 miles, but it is more than adequate for close-in use on the highway. The NOAA channels even work fairly well.

Last edited:

cschmit

JMR3865 said:
Hello,
I have a 1997 Jeep grand cherokee laredo. I am looking to place a small CB in side. I want it hidden, but the mic semi available. I am also putting a small descrete antenna. Any suggestions on placement?

If you want it hidden do you want easy access to the front pannel or not? If no then go for an under the seat install. I had a cherokee sport so I don't know the laredo to well but if you have a center console with a space under the arm rest you could mount it in their too.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
wonderful, i am thinking inside the console, looking for a small antenna now. There have been a few changes with the install. I may already have rear strobes installed, if i do, ill install the 2nd set if there is room. looking for a speaker and some brackets for my kenwood in the back. the right front strobe needs to be reinstalled, hole is there. and that's about it. Thanks.

TooLate

JMR,
When you decide on the discreet antenna, let us know...I've been looking in that direction as well...heck...just show us pix of the whole install...if you would.

And, to the earlier response...approx how far does that through-the-glass antenna "hear"? (assuming nominal conditions etc) What does it look like?..cell phone?? Will it double as an adequate scanner antenna (I know...not broad band tuned...but I was hinting along the lines of a coat hanger principle)?

Really fine forum folks!!
TL

policeMonitor

oooooooo my kind of subject! =)

1st off glass mount antenna's are junk there is no ground plane and the whip is to little for the 11 meter band and they wont hold the watts.

2nd the all in one hand held is ok for line of sight but when in the city or in a wooded area they are junk also,

as with all transmitters the most important part of the setup is the antenna the longer the antenna and or higher the better rx/tx it will have.

if you want a good small antenna for your jeep go with a k30 mag mount

http://cgi.ebay.com/K-30-Magnetic-M...ryZ48692QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

^^ k30
it says it holds 600 watts but it really only holds 300

if you want even better performance the wilson line antennas are good

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/

now about radios if you want a good small radio i would get a cobra 25 or a uniden pc 68

stay away from sound tracker radios they are garbage also

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
yea, i will definetly post pictures but it's gunna be a while until the install in finally complete 100%. I still need to do 2nd rear strobes, grille led's and a bigger LED, i have the small phantom which works great but I want one all the way across.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
TooLate said:
And, to the earlier response...approx how far does that through-the-glass antenna "hear"? (assuming nominal conditions etc) What does it look like?..cell phone?? Will it double as an adequate scanner antenna (I know...not broad band tuned...but I was hinting along the lines of a coat hanger principle)?

Working with this quote below...

1st off glass mount antenna's are junk there is no ground plane and the whip is to little for the 11 meter band and they wont hold the watts.

The glass mount antenna in no way performs as well as a base-loaded 1/4w 27 MHz antenna, but for it's size it has adequate performance if you only want to hear things going one within a mile or so of you. It is not a DX antenna by any stretch!

As for "holding the watts", mine is tuned to Ch 19 and "holds" all 4 watts that the 75WX puts out. There is a grounding strap attached to the inside coupling box, which should be grounded to the vehicle body. "policeMonitor" is correct that the antenna is far too small to be an efficient radiator at 27 MHz, but the antenna is tunable and you can achieve a decent SWR...it's just that most of the RF is lost in the thru-glass coupling and small antenna. Besides, with 4w of AM RF the SWR is just a formality...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.