CB skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
The CB skip is horrendous since April. It is hard just to talk to regular base stations within 20 or 30 miles or truckers just a mile or two away with a quality Antron!!! There is almost always skip on every channel including channel 9.

KF4ZTO

Freeband has also been really active lately, namely 26.715 and 26.915 rolling in on AM. Channel 6 is also extremely jammed with the skip rolling in.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
KF4ZTO said:
Freeband has also been really active lately, namely 26.715 and 26.915 rolling in on AM. Channel 6 is also extremely jammed with the skip rolling in.

I managed a quick connect with Tennessee the other night....I'm hoping the VHF lowband kicks up soon though...

KF4ZTO

Lowband has been on and off for me...I actually use the 31 and 33 MHz bands to see if CB is going to be open or not...however, hearing spanish-speaking stations on 30-31 MHz generally means 27 MHz is going to be jam-packed with high power Central/South American stations :(

sacscan

CB skip has been going on here in CA for the past 3 days. Hamsexy.com's "Geeky HF Info" says that solar activity is normal, so I wonder if this is sporadic E or some other kind of skip I don't know about. The only kind of skip I've ever heard of is from sunspots and sporadic E.

sacscan

KF4ZTO

fathers day

CB skip is going INSANE right now in Richmond, VA...the superbowl on 6 is nothing more than a S-5 noise floor and channel 19 is unusable. channels 11, 20, 22 and the upper 30s are all really active. Maybe lowband will fire up soon...hearing Mississippi, Kentucky and lots and lots of Virginia and West Virginia stations booming in

as much as some people like to hate on the 27 MHz band...its actually interesting when the band opens up. he with the biggest radio does in fact win.

Last edited:

freqhopping

CB skip is going INSANE right now in Richmond, VA...the superbowl on 6 is nothing more than a S-5 noise floor and channel 19 is unusable. channels 11, 20, 22 and the upper 30s are all really active. Maybe lowband will fire up soon...hearing Mississippi, Kentucky and lots and lots of Virginia and West Virginia stations booming in

as much as some people like to hate on the 27 MHz band...its actually interesting when the band opens up. he with the biggest radio does in fact win.

I hear some guy on Ch11 saying Mobile. Plenty of other channels active too for me.
Try 52.80 and see if you receive HAMs as much as I have been today.

KF4ZTO

I've been scanning 10 and 6 meters pretty often, 10 is active with a lot of sideband stuff which I can't listen to on my scanner (my trusty HTX-100 fried itself long ago) but 6 is dead dead dead down here.

KF4ZTO

Of course not...I rarely use my CB anymore anyway, except for long trips and its parked on 19 for those. Its got a better receiver than my scanner for 27 MHz so when I actually wanna listen I use it.

SCPD

QRT
wow, people actually use Citizens Band still? I did a web search and its hard to even find a CB with SSB capability anymore. well for under $400.00,

when you say "Free Band" is that below CB Ch-1 or above CB Ch-40? "Outlaw" Channels? I know 10 meters has been jamming recently so no supprise to see 11 meters or "CB" to be rocking. Back in the 80's I had a Groundplane 40 feet up and Talked to Montigo Bay Jamacia on CB durning weather quite like were having this year.

People (Non-Truckers) actually listen to CB - Amazing!

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I'm not big into CB's as I was back in highschool, almost 15 years ago, but whenever the skip starts rolling in, I don't mind actually mind getting on there an acting like an idiot an doing some skip shooting. I'll talk with the locals the odd time, but usually just sitting back sandy baggin'

wow, people actually use Citizens Band still? I did a web search and its hard to even find a CB with SSB capability anymore. well for under $400.00,

when you say "Free Band" is that below CB Ch-1 or above CB Ch-40? "Outlaw" Channels? I know 10 meters has been jamming recently so no supprise to see 11 meters or "CB" to be rocking. Back in the 80's I had a Groundplane 40 feet up and Talked to Montigo Bay Jamacia on CB durning weather quite like were having this year.

People (Non-Truckers) actually listen to CB - Amazing!

KF4ZTO

11 meters

A lot of radio people I know are still into CB. I've got a Galaxy DX-949 (yes, that is an FCC type accepted CB radio, not an "export" or "10-meter" radio...like a lot of other Galaxys are). It does SSB fairly well. When the band gets open, listening to 38LSB is amazing...along with the freeband stuff which is always fun to listen to....next time the band opens up tune your radio to 26.915 AM. Funny stuff.

It was open to central VA just now (about 3pm eastern time) with skip rolling in from FL and TN on 38LSB.

Edit:
yes, "freeband" and "outlaw" channels are both below and above the legal US (and most of europe) CB band, 26.965 to 27.405. When I hear "11 meters" I think in terms of 26 to 28 MHz, which includes the US CB band, the UK CB band (the US 40 channels and 40 more channels at 27.60125 to 27.99125), the other weird european specs (Germany has 80 channels, the US 40 and then the 40 below the US legal band) and a few others. Now that lowband is opening up again...CB is getting more interesting than ever to listen to...and occasionally transmit on ;)

Last edited:

DiGiTaLD

Solar Cycle

The CB skip is horrendous since April. It is hard just to talk to regular base stations within 20 or 30 miles or truckers just a mile or two away with a quality Antron!!! There is almost always skip on every channel including channel 9.
'Cause of the solar cycle heating back up, that's what it is. Time to get my HF radio on the air to get back on 10 meters.

n2kej

Was wondering what you are hearing on 52.800? That is in the repeater input allocation.

When the band has been open on 6, I have been hearing more activity on the repeaters than on simplex.

Last cycle it was the other way around.

Steve N2KEJ

I hear some guy on Ch11 saying Mobile. Plenty of other channels active too for me.
Try 52.80 and see if you receive HAMs as much as I have been today.

KF4ZTO

I've got 52.525 and 29.600 programmed in for low band openings (can't forget 146.520!, always scanning that one) ...but I would have to agree with kej, I always end up scanning around and finding more repeaters than simplex (nearly always on 10m, however).

Status
Not open for further replies.