• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM 1550 backlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonacg

I have a CDM 1550 whose backlight and TX LED would work intermittently, and have since stopped working altogether. I swapped a known working control head and ribbon cable from another radio, and the problem remains. The original head also lights up when moved to another radio. I do have a brightness key programmed, and that doesn't help, either.

So, I'm convinced that the issue is within the body of the radio, but the fact that it's intermittent makes me doubt that it has anything to do with a fuse. If I get the urge to open this thing up, can someone point me to the area of the board that handles the lighting, and what to look for? Also, has anyone successfully fixed this issue on their own?

It's not by any means a life-or-death issue...but would be nice to have it working again.

Thanks.

jtsjc1

I'm no expert but I believe the CPS can program the LED and backlight. My backlight is not programmed to go on when I receive but it does work. I guess when it was programmed it was not done correctly and I don't have the CPS to do it myself so I've learned to live with it.

K2NEC

I'm no expert but I believe the CPS can program the LED and backlight. My backlight is not programmed to go on when I receive but it does work.
The display should always be on, it's a mobile

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There's a fuse on the FLT A+ line that may have opened. It's on the circuit board, as in it's a trace that opens. The manual recommends replacing it with a 0Ω resistor. From the manual (spelling mistake and all):

Note: Fuse is part of PCB
In case fuse is blowen, replace it with R0410 P/N 0662057B47

You can download the service manual here: The Motorola CDM Mobile Radio Index page

jtsjc1

The display should always be on, it's a mobile
Thanks do you know how I can get the backlight to stay on? It goes on briefly when I power on but doesn't stay on. When I go into the menu and turn it on ,it will stay on for a short time but then goes out. If I go back in the light menu I can turn it on again no problem but it won't stay on. It also doesn't go on when I receive either. It is an HT1250 LS+.

K2NEC

Thanks do you know how I can get the backlight to stay on? It goes on briefly when I power on but doesn't stay on. When I go into the menu and turn it on ,it will stay on for a short time but then goes out. If I go back in the light menu I can turn it on again no problem but it won't stay on. It also doesn't go on when I receive either. It is an HT1250 LS+.
What you should do is program a button for the light so you can press the button to turn on the display. There is no way to keep the display on all the time. It would drain your battery pretty quick if it was on all the time. The radio also won't light the display when you receive.

jtsjc1

What you should do is program a button for the light so you can press the button to turn on the display. There is no way to keep the display on all the time. It would drain your battery pretty quick if it was on all the time. The radio also won't light the display when you receive.
Appreciate that thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.