• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cdm program help

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9police

Hi All, Hoping Some One Can Help Me. I Have A Motorola CDM1250 in my car. I Bought A Prolific Programming Cable The Other Day. I Have The USB Plugged Into My Computer and The Cable Plugged Into The Radio. When I Try To Read The Radio, It Is Telling Me It Couldn't Open Port. Check Whether Device/RIB are powered on or not, and The Device to RIB, and The RIB To PC are ok.
Do I need a driver of some sort or something along the lines. I have never programmed the CDM with this computer. Please help if you can.

I have already downloaded prolific driver PL2303 and still nothing. I have Professional Radio CPS Version R06.12.09. I still cannot get it to read the radio. Any help please.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
CDM1250

What version of Windows are you using and are you using a USB 2 port or USB 3? Some of the older Motorola radios are not capable of using the higher speed of a newer computer and USB or serial port. I have 6.11.05, but my cable has a RS232 connector and requires a true serial port and I use Windows XP.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
What version of Windows are you using and are you using a USB 2 port or USB 3? Some of the older Motorola radios are not capable of using the higher speed of a newer computer and USB or serial port. I have 6.11.05, but my cable has a RS232 connector and requires a true serial port and I use Windows XP.
The CDM's are NOT prone to the legacy slow computer problem.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I am using Windows XP and i believe I am using a USB 2, however not a 100 %.
Follow these steps exactly:

1. Connect the USB cable to the computer.

2. Control Panel --> System --> Hardware tab --> Device Manager. Scroll down to Ports (Com & LPT) and click on the +. Read the line that shows your USB-to-Serial cable and make a note of which ComPort it is. (Should be Com3 or higher.)

3. Close up all the control panel windows.

4. Fire up the CPS and turn the radio on. Remove the mic.

5. Plug the RJ-45 end of the cable into the mic port of the radio.

6. DO NOT click on the button for reading the radio. Instead, on the very top line, click on File and then on Read Device. When you do that, you should get a little window titled Select Port. Use the drop-down to pick the same port that you identified in the Device Manager. Then click OK.

If all goes well, it should read the radio. The very first thing you should do is save a copy of the codeplug. Click on File, and then on Save. Call it whatever you want, but make sure you can identify it as the original working codeplug from the radio.

Now, if it does not work and you still can't read the radio, it's not the end of the line. You'll want to get a serial programming cable for the CDM's and use the serial port on the computer. I had that exact problem with the older Panasonic Toughbook that I just set up for programming. It runs XP Pro and wouldn't recognize the USB cable either. I already had several of the Serial programming cables for these radios so I just switched and it works beautifully.

An odd point is that I also have the Commercial Series CPS on the same computer, and it recognizes the USB programming cables just fine. Weird, but it is what it is.

BTW, the serial programming cable for the CDM's will also program older Motorolas like the GM-300's, SM-50's, M1225's, and a lot more. Something like this should do the trick if you have a DB-9 serial port: Programming Cable For Motorola Radius Maxtrac GM300 M1225 CDM1250 CM200 CM300 Please note that this listing is the first one I found, and I am not specifically endorsing it. If your computer has a DB-25 serial port, there is a version for that, too.

Search tags: The Professional or Waris
Series of mobile radios includes:

CDM750 CDM1250 CDM1550
CDM1550LS+ CDM1550LS

It may be helpful to search using wildcards.
If someone asks a question about one model,
the answer usually pertains to most, if not all.
They are all programmed with HVN9025 CPS.
The last version of the CPS released before the
product line was discontinued is R06.12.09.

If you need a blank codeplug, there is a folder
full of them, one for each possible model
number on your hard drive. The folder is in
the Program Files where your CPS is installed.
It is labelled SAMPLES.

joemoor

Feed Provider
I use the prolific USB programming cable on Win 10 x64 running on a MacBook Air (it's my radio programming PC).

CPS will only work with the OLDER version of the USB drivers Prolific USB Drivers 3.2.0.0 (7/31/2007). It works like a charm with my CDM1250.

If you can't find the drivers via Google PM me and I can send you a copy. If you need more help I'm glad to offer assistance.

Joe

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I use the prolific USB programming cable on Win 10 x64 running on a MacBook Air (it's my radio programming PC).

CPS will only work with the OLDER version of the USB drivers Prolific USB Drivers 3.2.0.0 (7/31/2007). It works like a charm with my CDM1250.

If you can't find the drivers via Google PM me and I can send you a copy. If you need more help I'm glad to offer assistance.

Joe
That is a Win 10 issue. It has nothing to do with the CPS itself. The OP runs XP which does not automatically upgrade drivers. As I pointed out, I have an XP computer that behaves the same way, and and I made double-double sure it used a 3.2.x driver. It still would not recognize the cable thus my advice to him to use a serial cable instead of a USB one.

And the issue you point out is only for cloned Prolfic chips programmed via Win 10 machines.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.