• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cell system failures in CA fires

Status
Not open for further replies.

12dbsinad

More name calling from the one who gets butt hurt when they're weakness is exposed. There you have it folks. This is why we don't move forward, and attitudes from the high and mighty who don't want to consider that things might be going a direction they can't handle because they DON'T KNOW. Rather than develop those skill sets, this what they degenerate to. This is why the "I do only RF crowd" fail interviews. Miserably. And they know, their future is limited as their lifespan. Maybe if they'd take a course or two or three on LTE rather than posting negative crap on forums, they would get that skill set and remain relevant to the future. There are those that adapt, learn and grow. Those that insist on living in the past get left there when everyone else moves on.
Nobody is living in the past. Go ask any radio shop what their biggest hurdle is and 90 percent will probably say competent radio techs. It isn't on the networking end. Making things work on the RF side is step number 1 and it's becoming increasingly difficult. It's the foundation to any radio system, and without it the system simply cannot function at all. I've retired twice, and I STILL work for a radio shop almost full time just getting sh** to work properly. The RF world is not "plug it in and it should work" type of scenario. That's why half of systems don't work worth of beans to begin with.

by the same logic, as most modern LMR systems (especially trunking) are 90 percent IP, you need ALL the appropriate skill sets to manage the network. You can have the best tuned combiner/duplexers/multi-couplers but if the network is unusable because some "mouth breather" doesn't know how to fleet map, properly provision and configure a console, map talk groups to an IP logging recorder, configure a HD CCGW to bring in other resources, that "finely tuned" radio system will the functional equivalent to a lawnmower with no blades.
I deal with modern LMR systems daily. I can tell you exactly what the weaknesses are if you'd like to start a thread on that. No problem. It's the IT guys trying to be radio techs that are forcing me not to retire. I'll retire when I'm dead at this rate.

BTW, you don't need to be an AH to be good at something. and anytime you want to set me loose with a tracking gen and set of cans, I'll prove you wrong. Bad breath can really make someone take their car to another mechanic, even if the guy is an old pro. Time for a swig or two of Listerine 12db.
Well that's good. I'll send you up to the prudential building in Boston and let you figure out some RF issues there to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.