• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Central TG Registry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
In several large professional 2-Way systems I see Talkgroups with long numbers: eg a series from 6100001 thru 6400301, a series from 2001001 thru 2901060, with occasional oddballs (perhaps roamers) like 4271890 or 14548084.
Other smaller systems with only a dozen or so TG include TG numbers like 1048578.
This seems more than random and makes me wonder if there is some sort of TG registry - formal or informal - kept by 2-Way standards or industry group. Yes, there are hundreds of smaller stand-alone systems with TGs sequences like 101,102,103, but these large systems seem more coordinated.
Does anyone know if there is a "TG registry?"
thanks
W

a417

U+0000
My question is...why?
For the scanner enthusiast, maybe. If someone was hellbent on tracking TGs in a geographical reigon they could do that, but it serves no purpose for competing companies (which is essentially what every company is doing) to make each others job easier. Considering that nearly all trunked modern systems are encrypted and in most cases geographically separated, you wouldn't have a reason. One TGID on one system can be exactly the same on another system in close proximity, if they were encrypted differently and had different protocols...they'd each be none the wiser.

I'm sure someone somewhere has an informal list for their area, but why would the industry need a master list of say phase 2 systems for a region if they were in competition with each other? Past practices often dictate how people do things informally, like company 1 may have seen how company 2 'traditionally' programs it's police mobiles starting with 5 and its portables starting with 7, and they may choose to do 6 & 8...but it doesn't affect how they operate. They're not sharing system keys and codes, so why worry about talk groups?

I'm also pretty sure that each system administrative group has an excel spreadsheet of TGIDs and unit IDs, but that's basically for internal tracking. Why would they worry about the competitors a couple of miles down the road, they're probably more worried about making money than they are about overlapping TGIDs on incompatible systems.

nd5y

Texas Dept. of Public Safety has a statewide coordination plan for public safety P25 trunked radio IDs but it doesn't mention talkgoups.

Texas and some other places have wide area DMR trunked systems run by various 2-way shops. They probably have to coordinate TGs and RIDs but I haven't read anything about it.

slicerwizard

Other smaller systems with only a dozen or so TG include TG numbers like 1048578.
This seems more than random
It's not random. decimal 1048578 is hexadecimal 100002. In a DMR XPT system, the 10 is not part of the ID, so it would be ID 2 - a typically small ID found on a small system. On some other systems, but especially DMR TIII, it would very likely indicate that the system operator is using the CPS-P3 numbering scheme, where OTA 1048578 = radio 328-20-201; 20-201 is the lowest CPS-P3 radio ID available and is often allocated to the operator's staff, i.e. radio techs. 328 is the "network ID" used by that operator, 20 is the lowest available fleet ID and 201 is the lowest unit ID (radio ID). OTA 1048578 is also used for TG 328-20-901 (fleet 20, subfleet 901); 20-901 is the lowest fleet-subfleet available, so again is often assigned to the operator's staff or to the first customer.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Thank you Slicerwizard for the tutorial and unlocking some of the mystery of seemingly random TG numbers. Kinda what I hoped might come from the post! Where could I read up on this?
And the other TGs on this specific small rural system now makes much more sense: 2097154=200002, 1048586=10000A and 2097162=20000A, which is a much more logical numbering system!
w

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.