DSDPlus Changing Talkgroup color in Channel activity window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shajoe44

I found that, what I was wanting was to change the colors of the talkgroups themselves. Say one agency to show as red, another green, another blue, etc.

a417

U+0000
I was playing around with (I know this was primarily a DSD+ thread) OP25 and colorizing TGIDs, never finished...maybe I'll have to dive back into this.

a417

U+0000
Tell me how copyright applies to open source software?

wtp

just like uniden could not keep the backlight lit when a talkgroup keys up.
that is why it turns off, someone else had that patent.
you can do it, but then you have to pay.

a417

U+0000
So, you're telling me that I can't have an open source program display text in different colors due to copyright?

Please, show your work.

a417

U+0000
Start here.

Then go down to the section "Other Types of Protection" then "Summary".

Summary
Only works of artistic — not utilitarian — expression are eligible for copyright protection. Works must be set down in a fixed and tangible format, which means that ideas themselves are not protected.
The program you are running is utilitarian, and provides a utility to you that allows you to scan yadda yadda yadda. It's output is expression of information, it cannot be protected.

I am not a lawyer, but I can read, and those of us in the relevant fields do know this.

I've also suggested that everything from post #7 be moved to the tavern under a separate thread, as this is spiralling OT.

u2brent

OAMPT
Does said "Company" even pay/obtain rights to legally decode/tinker with those proprietary codes/signals? Probably not, Why sweat the small stuff? :ROFLMAO:

u2brent

OAMPT
Yep, I'm talking about a software developer (location & author(s) unknown) who develops and distributes said product for some sort of personal income and does not recognize those proprietors who own the code.
Why does Uniden charge a fee to decode Provoice, NXDN, DMR? :unsure:
Does DSD+? How would you tell? Why would they care about adding a feature that allows colors that are owned by a different company :unsure:

Not knockin the product, I love it/Use it. Are we not all guilty just by using this product? Continue chasing that tail.. :whistle:

a417

U+0000
Why would they care about adding a feature that allows colors that are owned by a different company :unsure:
Please prove to me that one company owns a copyright on colors being used to differentiate data on a computer screen.

u2brent

OAMPT
Please prove to me that one company owns a copyright on colors being used to differentiate data on a computer screen.

I can't, What I meant was.. It's a good idea.. I hope the author(s) can actually implement such a feature.
I'd also be interested in some sort of viewer that would allow you to review older event logs and have them appear as they do in the active event windows (with the Reds, Yellows, and those custom colors if they become a reality), yada yada.. (y)

a417

U+0000
Right. Have a good night!

I'm going to get back on my horse about implementing that in OP25, which is open source and uses prior art to allow data to be displayed in any number of ways, which may or may not include color formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.