Channel 6 & Fire Paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited

Hello, I have a very little issue with my scanner. It seems to be when I scan just Channel 6 for fire dispatch onl. When they get dispatched I hear 900 come across the dispatch channel saying like "905 responding on that" or something. I know they use their own channel and it is patched over to the RM channel as well as fire. Then the fire crews switch to channel 1 to say "entroute". Anyway, I was wondering why would I be getting Rural Metro chat on the fire channel? I have it setup like this:

23552 5c0 D SFLS FIRE 6 Sioux Falls Fire 6 Fire Dispatch

It's not a big deal really, just would be nice if I could just get it like to scan just the dispatches only. Instead of getting 900 chat on it sometimes after a medical comes over. Might be the way I have it scanning as well. Metro never says like "905 you are on SIoux Falls Fire 6". like Ive heard sometimes

Also, I use the fire paging tone on that freq. and is there an option to have a talkgroup cut out on a freq. if it detects it be being used? The pager tone goes off on the scanner and sometimes it cuts half of the dispatch audio. I would use PRI but just one thing I don't like with that is if you are listening to something else it cuts out every so often then resumes. Which I guess is ok if you just want to listen to that and it isnt that hard to turn it off/on either.

Thank you for reading this.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
If you are listening to paging on VHF conventional, could you use another scanner for that so it doesn't take away from the trunking ??

Unlimited

Yes I listen to it on VHF. This one to be exact:

155.88000 WNNB457 B CSQ SFLS FIRE PG Fire Station Paging and Dispatching FM Fire Dispatch

You can usually tell if it is a medical or a fire call just by how long the tone on that goes off for. Usually medicals are cutout within 3 seconds and fire calls can last up to 8 seconds of the tone.

I would use a second scanner I just don't have much money to buy another one yet. Would leaving PRI on while I just scanned it work still or can you check someone in the programming that cuts out a freq. when a talkgroup becomes active?

Unlimited

That would be another way to do it. But then you still would need another power supply to power up the secondary scanner. And if you want to take it with you, you would have to take both scanners just to hear the paging? I understand what you mean, but I use the Pro-106 so I can take it with me if around the house if something interesting is happening.

Basiclly since how the fire department pages, you only would need it for fire calls because scanner listeners only get voice unless Rural/Metro is paged along with them.

That is why I was asking if there was an option in the scanner programming that you can check that will cut out a freq. if a talkgroup became active during that time.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
You can prob get a scanner for 10 bucks at a pawn shop to listen to 155.88000

No, you can't get a cheap scanner at a pawn shop. They sell them at ridiculously high prices, typically 3-4 times what you can get them for on Ebay or a hamfest. I buy/sell locally and on Ebay and it is so rare that I find a scanner deal at a pawn shop that I rarely bother looking. As an example, I recently saw a Uniden BC560 at a local pawn shop for $99. Probably could have talked them down to $75, but that's still 3x what I can get it for on Ebay, from a reputable seller, with shipping. I pretty much only deal in digital anymore. I recently got a like new BCD396XT for $230 shipped, and a BCD996XT for $240. Admittedly deals like that are rare...

Status
Not open for further replies.