Chemical Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmoutdoors

hmoutdoors

Kennie Bass
WATERGEDDON 2014 Here is some information about the chemical that spilled into the Elk River... MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET Methylcyclohexane Version 1.4 Source: Chevron Phillips Chemical Co. 1.4 Revision Date 2012-03-05 MSDS Number:100000014163 2/13 GHS-Labeling Symbol(s) : Signal Word : Danger Hazard Statements : H225: Highly flammable liquid and vapor. H303: May be harmful if swallowed. H304: May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways. H315: Causes skin irritation. H320: Causes eye irritation. H336: May cause drowsiness or dizziness. H361: Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child. H411: Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects. Precautionary Statements : Prevention: P210 Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking. P243 Take precautionary measures against static discharge. P261 Avoid breathing dust/fume/gas/mist/vapors/spray. Response: P301 + P310 IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/ physician. P331 Do NOT induce vomiting. P370 + P378 In case of fire: Evacuate area. Use manufacturer/supplier or the competent authority to specify appropriate media for extinction. Carcinogenicity: IARC No ingredient of this product present at levels greater than or equal to 0.1% is identified as probable, possible or confirmed human carcinogen by IARC. NTP No ingredient of this product present at levels greater than or equal to 0.1% is identified as a known or anticipated carcinogen by NTP. ACGIH No ingredient of this product present at levels greater than or equal to 0.1% is identified as a carcinogen or potential carcinogen by ACGIH.

kyguy

What really stinks is that the spill happened yesterday, and they are just now getting the word out!

K4OM

Premium Subscriber
Charleston odor

The news media failed to associate the stench with the fact that the West Virginia Legislature was meeting in joint session to receive the State of the State message from the Governor.

It happens every year about this time. Stink and speech.

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
They notified everyone in a timely matter.

There is a lot of procedures you have to go through when you have a chemical spill.

There will be lots of things that will change in procedures as there is every time a event happens. Just glad that no one was hurt of this. These folks in that area have several opportunities to be trained for what to do during emergencies.

hmoutdoors

We were not notified in a timely manner. The procedures are in place but some were ignored my Freedon and Wv American did not act in a timely manner. As far as training we have some of the best in the business in this area because they deal possible chemical accidents.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Kd8,this may have been a long time thing that has been going on,and I sincerely believe NOTHING was done in a timely matter and a lot of deception was involved with this company. I think it will all be seen once this has been said and done. Also has anyone heard as my son heard on CNN,that someone has died from the tained water??

MOTOROLANUT

disaster

When you look at all the years chemical companies around nitro have been operating, its only a miracle this has not happened sooner. All everyone can do is say a prayer at this point for the southern WV folks. Hopefully help comes soon and in time if negligence was discovered then the guilty prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Blackink

I heard on the morning news, up here in the state of Vermont, that the water may never be safe to drink from that river again.

OK, so now people will have to drill wells? And how far away from that river does the well have to be drilled in order to never have to worry about that chemical seeping into the well water?

Not a good situation, no matter how you try and look at it.

Blackink

Like I said, it was on the morning news here in Central Vermont.

But as the media likes to over blow things, it might just be trying to "pump up" the seriousness of how bad things could get there.

I'm sure I couldn't find a link to it as it was something that she said as she was describing the situation down there.

I'd like to think it doesn't get that bad but that chemical will seep into the surrounding ground around that river bank and how long will it be before it's safe to drink the water again?

fredva

Feed Provider
I heard on the morning news, up here in the state of Vermont, that the water may never be safe to drink from that river again.

I don't doubt that you heard that, but I would question the accuracy of that report. Tests are being done regularly and the concentration of the chemical in the water is going down. First test said 3 ppm, now it's at 1.7 ppm. The question is how low it has to go before it is considered safe again. The CDC believes it is 1 ppm, but other officials may want it to go lower. wsaz.com is my source.

Status
Not open for further replies.