Chester Co Pa Using SDS 200 Harris audio variable

Fred1

I had a SDS 200 for over two years. Some talkgroups audio is fine. Fire ok. Pd audio is low then sometimes it’s ok. Has anyone else noticed this? I live in Western end of county. Main sites is West Simulcast. Is there some adjustment I can do. I mentioned this before. Someone said they have agc off or low.

73 Fred

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Par for the course with Phase-II systems & TDMA talkgroups on consumer grade scanners. If you notice one talkgroup's audio is consistently lower than the others you can try compensating for it by raising channel volume offset up a level or two, may or may not work. I monitor the east simulcast from time to time & occasionally notice the same. Never had a need to mess with volume offset though, YMMV

maus92

Premium Subscriber
On the Harris system I use, the dispatch audio is very loud and sometimes distorting, while the user / subscriber side is generally lower in volume and clear. It forces the user to "ride the gains" to ensure clarity, sort of a PITA.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
The chester system does not have any AGC for audio which is why it sounds this way.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I only get to listen while traveling so I have a very small window with the new Chester system. It sounds decent from my limited listening. Butt that’s a very small window. And I only monitor fire/ems, so…

My home county just went P25 last year and has similar issues. Unfortunately I don’t notice it by TG. It happens on certain radioIDs. And there’s no way to adjust volume based on radio ID so it’s either be stuck listening to the speakers explode when certain offers are on calls or turn the volume down and not be able to hear 98% of the traffic on the TGs.

weyforthr

I wonder if Uniden has considered adding a "digital receive audio leveler" as a paid upgrade. If the (amateur) folks at OpenGD77 could do it for free for low-budget DMR radios, why can't the (professional) brains at Uniden accomplish something similar? Why indeed...

Ubbe

I wonder if Uniden has considered adding a "digital receive audio leveler" as a paid upgrade. If the (amateur) folks at OpenGD77 could do it for free for low-budget DMR radios, why can't the (professional) brains at Uniden accomplish something similar? Why indeed...
It's a bit of a mystery why most Uniden scanners have audio AGC and some even allow its settings to be tweaked, but SDS scanners do not use any audio AGC at all.

/Ubbe