Chicago FD Digital System Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9TZO

Premium Subscriber
I am new to scanning P25 digital systems and now have a BCD436HP scanner. My question is should I be able to pickup the CFD digital system in Elgin with a discone antenna at 30'? I know that that scanner has location settings, but I think I have that all disabled. I can receive fine with the scanner when at work in downtown Chicago. I just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong or if it is just a distance issue.

JT-112

Reception of CFD at distance has become a bit more problematic with the shift to UHF and simulcast P25.

There are areas with phase cancellation outside of the coverage area where reception is really difficult. Other people get lucky and they don't run into that.

If you're having issues, try another antenna location.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The CFD system is really not designed for scanners so. You may not hear it the best outside of the city much. I usually have no problem hearing it on my XTS5000 in an XTVA in Lake County. There are times that it is hard to hear and only comes up with an ID# and garbled voice.

N9TZO

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the information. Once summer gets here I can get the discone higher and the beams back up and see how that works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.