Choke or Balun for End Fed Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I would REALLY suggest avoiding the 100 ft of coax run! But I think I have completely misunderstood something because your most recent concerns aren't making sense to me. I've made this diagram of my assumptions based upon your descriptions thus far. Tell me what's not right... EFHW on house.png

prcguy

If the OP can get the height drawn here it would work well. I would however attach any ground wire on the radio side of the choke balun so it doesn't introduce noise up to the antenna.

I would REALLY suggest avoiding the 100 ft of coax run! But I think I have completely misunderstood something because your most recent concerns aren't making sense to me. I've made this diagram of my assumptions based upon your descriptions thus far. Tell me what's not right... View attachment 83538

I would REALLY suggest avoiding the 100 ft of coax run! But I think I have completely misunderstood something because your most recent concerns aren't making sense to me. I've made this diagram of my assumptions based upon your descriptions thus far. Tell me what's not right... View attachment 83538
That diagram is correct in all ways. My concern lately was after thinking about this setup, not being able to run that ground wire because of the height. I’ve seen where the ground wire shouldn’t be so long as it will began to act as an antenna. But now I see I don’t need that wire at all.
Before I measured the eave height, I assumed it was a bit higher up, after the 1/4 wave height was mentioned. That was the reason for bringing up the 100ft. coax plan, to get both ends up to about 36ft.

If the OP can get the height drawn here it would work well. I would however attach any ground wire on the radio side of the choke balun so it doesn't introduce noise up to the antenna.
That diagram looks doable when I stare into my yard. If the ground needs to be between the choke and the radio, I can come up with something to make that work. It’s a rental house, so I can’t do too much altering or tapping into electrical stuff and being in the military, I’ll be moving in 3 years too so this isn’t “permanent”.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Look closely at the pics of the MyAntennas EFHW-8010P and you'll see the wing nut for the ground wire that I referred to in the diagram as "Ground wire from wing nut on transformer to ground". That ground connection is most likely on the radio side of the balun / transformer. Here is the web page with the pics - EFHW-8010P

prcguy

The MyAntennas EFHW series ground connection is parallel with the SO-239 ground on the box. Connecting that to your house ground can bring RFI riding on your AC lines right to the antenna. Its better to ground on the radio side of a good choke balun in the feedline which will reduce the chance of noise pickup.

Look closely at the pics of the MyAntennas EFHW-8010P and you'll see the wing nut for the ground wire that I referred to in the diagram as "Ground wire from wing nut on transformer to ground". That ground connection is most likely on the radio side of the balun / transformer. Here is the web page with the pics - EFHW-8010P

The setup should arrive today and it isn't suppose to rain here until tomorrow, I'll update you later if it actually shows up on time and let you know how it all worked out. Thanks for the help, this is quite the learning curve for me!

Got it up, made a couple contacts on 40 meters. First one 549 miles away in New York, a second in Tennessee at 1,254 miles. I guess that means it works. SWR is about 2:0 on 40meters and 1:1 on 20 meters.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Sweet... especially considering there was nothing exceptional about propagation on those bands today!

Pick a band that you can hear other New England stations on, pick a freq/time and let me know. It would be fun if we could make a contact.
That would be nice, I have yet to hear any other station around me yet, but I have my ears out for it.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
That would be nice, I have yet to hear any other station around me yet, but I have my ears out for it.
??? - You should be hearing plenty of other "1 land" and "2 land" hams if you listen at the right time, band, and mode (phone, digital, or CW if you're so inclined). Try 80M in the morning or evening. Or 40M nearly anytime in the daylight. Are you running any digital modes (FT4/8, PSK, JS8)? They are busy nearly all the time. If you're searching only for SSB phone the number of stations will be much more limited. Another bonus to running digital on FT8 / FT4 / JS8 is that you will be able develop very specific data regarding how your antenna is working on each band. Rather than a "59" report on every QSO such as you get with phone contacts, you'll have a specific RSSI from every station that hears you.

Status
Not open for further replies.