Choosing A Second Radio

13dka

My oldest Belka DSP was handed over to a friend who didn't report any button failures so far, the encoder had become a little erratic after a while tho (doesn't give impulses over a few degrees of its turning radius or something). The encoder of my -DX got a bit of that disease too but no button issues either. My two v3 Belkas (yes, I have paid for all of them and no, I don't want to cook a soup with them :)) have no button or encoder issues.

The first new v3 Belka I got had developed an issue that turned out to be a bad solder joint and I had to send it in for repairs. Since it apparently enjoys traveling so much it became the one I dragged around everywhere for almost 2 years now and I dropped it numerous times from ~3ft height onto various undergrounds, grass, metal (car door sill panel), asphalt/concrete because it hopped out of my breast pocket when I got out of the car or the suction cup I use to fix it to the side window fell off with the radio. It took that all without obvious blemishes.

Not surprising given the 1.5mm aluminum top+bottom shells / 1mm side panels, at that small size this means it could be one of the most mechanical robust receivers ever. It also has (tested) excellent shielding properties, nothing gets in w/o an antenna connected. However, nothing is made to outlast you anymore.

Should a button fail or an encoder need replacement - the construction is tiny but also very simple and accessible, and it's made of components commonly available on the consumer market. The buttons are regular "tactile switch" standard SMD parts and you can replace that with the best one you can find, just like the encoder.

ditto1958

Mine is going on 2 years with no wear. But I don't use it that much to the point am considering selling mine. Its a real sensitive radio but I bought a Afedri Lan-IQ SDR that has a waterfall display that took its place.
Man, those waterfall displays will prolly tempt me one day, lol 😇
My oldest Belka DSP was handed over to a friend who didn't report any button failures so far, the encoder had become a little erratic after a while tho (doesn't give impulses over a few degrees of its turning radius or something). The encoder of my -DX got a bit of that disease too but no button issues either. My two v3 Belkas (yes, I have paid for all of them and no, I don't want to cook a soup with them :)) have no button or encoder issues.

The first new v3 Belka I got had developed an issue that turned out to be a bad solder joint and I had to send it in for repairs. Since it apparently enjoys traveling so much it became the one I dragged around everywhere for almost 2 years now and I dropped it numerous times from ~3ft height onto various undergrounds, grass, metal (car door sill panel), asphalt/concrete because it hopped out of my breast pocket when I got out of the car or the suction cup I use to fix it to the side window fell off with the radio. It took that all without obvious blemishes.

Not surprising given the 1.5mm aluminum top+bottom shells / 1mm side panels, at that small size this means it could be one of the most mechanical robust receivers ever. It also has (tested) excellent shielding properties, nothing gets in w/o an antenna connected. However, nothing is made to outlast you anymore.

Should a button fail or an encoder need replacement - the construction is tiny but also very simple and accessible, and it's made of components commonly available on the consumer market. The buttons are regular "tactile switch" standard SMD parts and you can replace that with the best one you can find, just like the encoder.
1. Does the fellow who makes and sells the Belka sell spare parts? Does he repair them?

2. How much do the radios cost? I guess I’m thinking if I were a really serious radio guy and relied on a Belka, I’d prolly have a spare one or two on hand.

13dka

I sent it to Alex and he repaired it of course, yes. Spare parts can be sourced off the usual local and international electronic components retailers and online stores, even Amazon. The price is $140 w/o shipping and taxes but international shipping is suspended for the time being.

ditto1958

Thats too bad. Even though it’s not for me, it’s clearly an excellent radio and it’s too bad he’s not selling a bunch of them here.

bearcatrp

He is in Balarus which may have import restrictions due to the war. Tell your friend to make me an offer that I can't refuse for mine. You can email him to see if anything has changed too for shipping to the USA.