Choosing a Third Radio (?)

K0WWX

I won't even go into how many shortwave radios I've had. The first really good one I owned was a Grundig Satellit 700, purchased new in 1993 for about $500. That made me realize that to get the most out of the hobby, you really have to have SSB capability.

I still enjoy picking up older radios if I see a "deal" at a hamfest. I'd love to find an R-8 at a hamfest.

As for new radios, everything I've read about the Belka has been extremely positive, and the opinions in this thread reinforce that. I still may get one, but I've found that when I need portability the Tecsuns are fine and a good value, plus having the FM band is a plus when you are traveling and in a hotel room, because you always have something to listen to. The fact that the Belka has now added AM makes it more appealing.

The new radio I'm most interested in is the Malahit DSP2. In this video, the performance with the GA-800 antenna is amazing. Plus, it can even decode CW and FT8. Not cheap, but if it lives up to this video, it still seems a bargain and almost too good to be true.

ditto1958

Interesting choice. Like you I thought the next radio I wanted hadn't been made yet and was leaning to something like the Qodoson with SSB and weather band. Or maybe the Tecsun PL330 or PL680. Let us know how you like it!
I posted some first impressions. The PL-660 is clearly a good radio despite my honest reactions on getting it out of the box. I thought about waiting for production of the PL-680 to resume, but I thought it would be nice to get one of the last PL-660’s before they are gone.

I’m looking forward to learning new radio. I know very little about SSB and sync.