Choosing Simplex Frequencies in 2m and 70cm bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Ok, so here goes. Suppose you wanted to choose 10 frequencies that you could communicate with friends on in an emergency using Simplex only, no repeaters, and you want 5 frequencies in the 2m band and 5 frequencies in the 70cm band. This way, in an emergency your friends could monitor these 10 frequencies for communications. You can't just pick 1 channel as in a wide spread power outage you could have tons of people trying to get information and frequencies could be trampled on.

I know this is a bizarre question and reflects on my beginner status but hoping someone could help me out. The National Calling Frequencies will be swamped, we do not intend to use those.

Obviously we are trying to make 1st contact here, we could switch to another frequency if need be but you have to make contact first
You are absolutely making the task of identifying FM simplex frequencies MUCH MORE DIFFICULT THAN IT NEEDS TO BE. Please take a breath and relax.

Go to the BOTTOM of the page at SERA – Southeastern Repeater Association and look under the sub-head "Frequency Utilization Plans."

Click on the links for 144, 220 and 440 MHz. The three PDFs will have ALL of the generally accepted FM simplex frequencies.

HTH.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
I found a 2M simplex list that is split on 15KHZ (20 unique frequencies) and another list that is split on 20 KHZ (15 unique frequencies). I.E 35 frequencies will be in one or the other only.

5 frequencies will fall in both lists 146.460, 146.580, 147.420, 147.480, and 147.540.

Curious what others think.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I found a 2M simplex list that is split on 15KHZ (20 unique frequencies) and another list that is split on 20 KHZ (15 unique frequencies). I.E 35 frequencies will be in one or the other only.

5 frequencies will fall in both lists 146.460, 146.580, 147.420, 147.480, and 147.540.

The 15KHz vs. 20KHz split is another one of those wonderful places where ham radio can't agree.
Usually divided up by states, some chose 15KHz spacing, some chose 20KHz spacing.

But it really doesn't matter, 2 meter band isn't channelized. Your radio has a VFO, use whatever you want.

Yeah, I know, I know what you are asking. But even within states, no one seems to agree or follow it. I always used 15KHz spacing because that is what the damn ARRL repeater book showed for my state. Sure enough, I get some lid yelling "YOU'RE OFF FREQUENCY!!!!!" at me because he set up his internet gateway using 20KHz spacing in the simplex portion of the band, and everyone else was wrong. Fun to ignore him and listen to him get more and more upset.

There's usually not enough simplex traffic for it to really be an issue. The band plans are more or less gentleman's agreements. If your radio has enough slots, program in all the 15KHz spacing AND all the 20KHz spacing, that way you can piss off everyone equally. Or, program in those 5 common ones and you'll probably have 4 more simplex frequencies than you'll ever need.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Justp ut 10 channels in your radio. Dont worry about who or whats on the channel. If its for an emergency then use it. If you want to chat all day long then pick one on some list. Otherwise just use it an enjoy. People get too spun up over what each ham group says we should or should not use.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I just read it's possible to setup your radio for simplex communication to Transmit on one Frequency and Receive on another? Is that possible? This way any trouble makers can only hear 1/2 the conversation.

So the way I read it was this:

Ham 1 - Sets up Simplex channel to Transmit on Freq 1 and Receive on Freq 2
Ham 2 - Sets up Simplex channel to Transmit on Freq 2 and Receive on Freq 1

Can you program a Ham Radio channel to transmit on one frequency and receive on a different frequency altogether?

I was looking at Chirp and not sure it's possible ... ?
The problem is that the other end has to do the opposite for transmit and receive. And then a third station cannot do the opposite of both so can only communicate with one. Your idea is killed if there are more than 2 stations.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

Depends on your location. 146.47 is a common simplex frequency in use here.

Status
Not open for further replies.