CHP Low Band - BCD996T

kg6ifv

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I have a BCD996T scanner with firmware 3.02 and I cannot hear the CHP Low Band channels. Whats the "magic" setting? I also have a BCD325P2 handheld scanner and the firmware update for that radio somehow fixed the "what ever" and I can hear CHP Low Band channels on that radio.

Please help...

Thanks,
Mike - KG6IFV

kg6ifv

Premium Subscriber
yep... very wideband scanner antenna... external... squelch set to 0 too... nothing. I even checked the frequency for the city I'm in and it's correct.

wtp

if the squelch is 0 then the radio would not scan and would just produce static as that means it is off.
unless you meant even if it is turned to 0.
try the old, when scanning, hit the hold button, type in a frequency, and hit hold again.
HOLD, FREQ, HOLD.
it is a temporary thing and is gone when you do anything else. squelch on 2, and you should not see ATT on the screen.
that means attenuation is on and cuts the signal to 1/100th of the original.

if you are listening to the trunked system try a back of the set antenna as the system is simulcast and that causes reception problems.
in fact the more you can receive the worse it can get.
it is from receiving out of phase signals and they can cancel each other out.

Last edited:

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Is your Redding location accurate? If so, first do a weather scan and make sure you can hear NOAA weather on 162.550 so at least we know the basics of the antenna system are intact. Next plug in 42.440, with no CTCSS/PL tone, and modulation set to FM (not NFM). Like you said, even a handheld with rubber duck can typically get CHP Redding while in the valley and surrounding foothills. That should work on even a conservative squelch setting sitting on the valley floor in Tehama or Shasta counties. Let us know what you find.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If it's a discone, they are often poor performers on low band.
I am using a discone and have great results with CHP (and other DX signals). They are omni-directional and have no gain, but the real underlying issue is that they "hear" everything. This includes FM/TV broadcast, cell towers and pagers. You must filter out the strong signals in order for your receiver(s) to have a chance. I am using a filter from ScannerMaster that removes everything below 25MHz and FM broadcast.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am using a discone and have great results with CHP (and other DX signals).

They can work well in areas with a strong signal. But they usually rely on the top whip for low band. Those are usually tuned for 6 meter band for the ham guys, and they have a small ground plane. With a good dedicated low band antenna, you may find you hear more than you are now.