Citizen, the real-time crime alerting app, is growing in big cities using Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I remember wanting to do the right thing once when I heard a police foot chase that was happening in my apartment complex in Kissimmee, FL. I heard the coms and went out to my balcony with my BC200XLT in hand and just happened to see the guy across the courtyard hunkering down on someone's patio behind their grill. I thought I'd be a helpful citizen and report it, called the PD. They took my info and then I heard the dispatcher say 'guy with a scanner called it in, says he has eyes on the suspect'...a split second later the shift sgt. calls and says 'find out where the scanner guy lives and check him out. I don't like that.' I was stunned. I guess he said it just to scare me, because no one ever showed up at my door, but I thought that a bit rude. Why would a police officer not appreciate a citizen's help in catching a criminal? I remember thinking, there's something wrong with that. Since then, I've always been a careful observer and a reluctant participant. I've reported my share of drunk drivers on the interstate in 17 yrs of professional driving, and a few crimes in progress, terrible accidents, and the discovery of a dead body (fellow driver took a wheel nap at rest area and never woke up) but I will always remember the scanner call that could have been ugly. Even tho I come from a family of LEOs, I had forgotten the unspoken rule and attitude which has only amplified in modern times - it's us (LEO) against them. No truer than it is today, unfortunately.

It took a family member and LEO to remind me of that. There is a fundamental wall....

JD
kf4anc

Danny37

Cops in NYC really despise the app. I've heard it from numerous cop friends who say everytime they're on a routine radio call, people just start showing up recording and interfering with their jobs. I think this was also a reason for them to set their eyes on encryption. As much as I love the app, I really wish they implemented a paid subscription to keep it sanctioned. Nearly every person I know has the app installed on their smartphone and the second the hear a siren they check the app.

Don't get me wrong, I love the app but it's a double edge sword.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I remember wanting to do the right thing once when I heard a police foot chase that was happening in my apartment complex in Kissimmee, FL. I heard the coms and went out to my balcony with my BC200XLT in hand and just happened to see the guy across the courtyard hunkering down on someone's patio behind their grill. I thought I'd be a helpful citizen and report it, called the PD. They took my info and then I heard the dispatcher say 'guy with a scanner called it in, says he has eyes on the suspect'...a split second later the shift sgt. calls and says 'find out where the scanner guy lives and check him out. I don't like that.' I was stunned. I guess he said it just to scare me, because no one ever showed up at my door, but I thought that a bit rude. Why would a police officer not appreciate a citizen's help in catching a criminal? I remember thinking, there's something wrong with that. Since then, I've always been a careful observer and a reluctant participant. I've reported my share of drunk drivers on the interstate in 17 yrs of professional driving, and a few crimes in progress, terrible accidents, and the discovery of a dead body (fellow driver took a wheel nap at rest area and never woke up) but I will always remember the scanner call that could have been ugly. Even tho I come from a family of LEOs, I had forgotten the unspoken rule and attitude which has only amplified in modern times - it's us (LEO) against them. No truer than it is today, unfortunately.

It took a family member and LEO to remind me of that. There is a fundamental wall....

JD
kf4anc

So much for PROTECT and SERVE

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have yet to get the app on my Apple phone. I do listen to Broadcastify on this computer and, at first, only to certain feeds where relatives are, then I found it helped out my news junkie habit. It was handy when listening to the fires in California and I was able to actually help someone evacuate and plan his route for him. Couldn't have done that without Broadcastify, and while still not a complete advocate, I admit I make exceptions. Now, when I see something worth monitoring that looks to be somewhat immediate and prolonged, I will hop on Broadcastify and look up the location and monitor their live feeds. I'll get my information any way I can.

JD
kf4anc

PS - my better half had a light-hearted suggestion. How about migrating a policy into the scanner laws in each state and make scanner feed monitoring only allowed in the general population by Fcc-licensed amateur radio operators(as well as emergency personnel, media, etc) Not only would it discourage app abusers, but it would motivate some to test for their tickets and invigorate the hobby. Something to think about huh.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I spent months convincing the powers to be to not go encrypted on our new system that is going live in a few months. Apps like this were brought up in discussion and why they were leaning towards encryption. I am sure when I retire in the next few months as the only one against encryption, things will change.

Danny37

I have seen absolutely no statistical reporting on criminals using scanner. My educated guess is that they are not that sophisticated.

I've rarely heard it myself but i watched that show "under arrest" that's based in Canada and it just seem like every other person owned a scanner. Mostly grow house operators from what they aired on the show.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
The idea that criminals are using scanners to evade capture after committing a crime is an "Urban Myth"! There are no successful bad actors getting rich because of monitoring police frequencies! Oh occasionally crooks are captured with their hot goods and a scanner, but that's it, their CAPTURED! The only bad actors who might think scanning would help them are those who plan robberies. They want to escape! Wife beaters, gang bangers and right wing racist murders have no interest where the local patrol car is!
The real reason is the police brass are fearful of inappropriate traffic being over heard by the news media and the public. When you see the effort to control the true story of poorly trained POs that fail to deescalate confrontations that lead to dead civilians and other "friendly fire" casulities, the ability to delay or deny the access to police communications is paramount!
Good police officers need not be fearful of what is said on the radio and good police departments know how to keep sensitive information off the air.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
It's odd how if they think scanners were so darn bad then how is it that even with a scanner in hand they still get caught.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bob1955

I did not see that hyperlink above, but like @iMONITOR said, this is just going to draw attention to the scenes. It may make them more aware, but people may unnecessarily show up.

Another reason why departments are goingView attachment 69562

I also don't see this article showing any importance in scanners, I only see the importance in encryption.

Kind Regards,
Kyle
Kyle- I couldn't agree with you more! You're 100% right. That thread SHOULD be removed asap.

JoeyC

They took my info and then I heard the dispatcher say 'guy with a scanner called it in, says he has eyes on the suspect'...a split second later the shift sgt. calls and says 'find out where the scanner guy lives and check him out. I don't like that.' I was stunned. I guess he said it just to scare me, because no one ever showed up at my door, but I thought that a bit rude.

This sounds to me like the sgt. was trying to get a better understanding of where you were exactly in relation to the suspect they were looking for. Without hearing how the dispatcher presented your information to the guys on the street it sounds to me like a bit of paranoia on your part.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
This sounds to me like the sgt. was trying to get a better understanding of where you were exactly in relation to the suspect they were looking for. Without hearing how the dispatcher presented your information to the guys on the street it sounds to me like a bit of paranoia on your part.

That's funny. 'Check him out' & 'I don't like that'... pretty self-explanatory, I would think. But, I guess there are conspiracy theories wherever you want to see them. It's one of those I-guess-ya-hadta-be-there things. And, you weren't.

ThomasB3131

It seems like if a civilian shows up on a scene without a scanner it would be ok, but if they have a scanner and show up on a scene it's just automatically bad.

Just a thought.

TDR-94

I've rarely heard it myself but i watched that show "under arrest" that's based in Canada and it just seem like every other person owned a scanner. Mostly grow house operators from what they aired on the show.

There was a "news doc" on a NJ police department and it's crack down attempts with a clip of "gang banger/drug dealers" using the scanner apps on their phones to monitor them.

Drugs Inc. had an episode in Alaska where a "drug dealer" was using a scanner to monitor a PD there.

There have been several shows through out the years with episodes of criminals using scanners.One of the PD's in my area catches the "hood rats" with the scanner app on their phones all the time. It's comical to them how it's delayed compared to their radios.

It's not a made up scenario like some would like to believe it is.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
There was a "news doc" on a NJ police department and it's crack down attempts with a clip of "gang banger/drug dealers" using the scanner apps on their phones to monitor them.

Drugs Inc. had an episode in Alaska where a "drug dealer" was using a scanner to monitor a PD there.

There have been several shows through out the years with episodes of criminals using scanners.One of the PD's in my area catches the "hood rats" with the scanner app on their phones all the time. It's comical to them how it's delayed compared to their radios.

It's not a made up scenario like some would like to believe it is.
The point being if it was any good for them they wouldn't have been apprehended.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GaRebel

Premium Subscriber
Another reason for encryption ! Stupid crap like this is killing the scanning industry. Why broadcast to the world? If you want to know you will get the equipment to know.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Years ago, I remember reading about a sophisticated white supremacist group called The Silent Brotherhood, up in the Pacific Northwest, that committed several bank robberies and armored truck robberies, and I read that they appointed one guy as their 'communications officer' and he had a few scanners and an HF rig and he would go to local Radio Shacks to get frequencies for whatever area they were committing their crimes. Was a pretty interesting read. This all happened back in the 80s I believe. Aside from armed robberies, they committed several murders, operated a counterfeit money ring, and they assassinated a Jewish talk show radio host in Denver named Alan Berg who often dissed them on the air. Nasty little group, but I remember they had a designated radio 'geek' who manned the scanners and outfitted them all with FM HTs to communicate during their heists. I am sure that most organized right-wing militias and survivalist groups are scanner savvy, just as I am sure your average street thug is not.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.