Icom: Cleaning the IC705 screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Just curious...what should I use to get the damned fingerprints off the screen when I'm done. Thanks!

MDScanFan

I just use a microfiber cloth like the ones used to clean glasses. It seems to work fine.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Working in IT since 1979 I spent a good amount time cleaning computer displays as well as keyboards. I was very particular about keeping electronic equipment clean. In fact I was obsessed with it and still am today. I learned it was much easier to not get it dirty to begin with than it was to clean it after it got dirty.

I actually wash my hands prior to handling my equipment at home as well in the workplace when I was still working, especially after eating. I've seen it all, people working on computers eating chicken wings, corn on the cob with butter, glazed donuts, french fries, ETC. In the early years you had to be careful what you used to clean computer monitors as many of them had an anti-glare coating on them that was somewhat vulnerable to any kind of chemicals or solvents. The most effective cleaner I ever used was Windex window cleaner. It never damaged anything. I would wipe it dry with a paper towel immediately after cleaning. I never sprayed it directly on the screens or keyboards. Years later I started using isopropyl alcohol, again with great success, no problems. Be careful not to scrub as you'll risk scratching the screen. Use this information at your own risk. It's a good idea not to get things too wet or leave anything on for any length of time. I've tried lens cleaner for eyeglasses but it was not an effective cleaner and was expensive.

k6cpo

For cleaning my phone or tablet screen, I use either 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol or a product called "Invisible Glass." The Invisible Glass is similar to Windex, but less prone to streaking. I use it on my glasses and computer monitor screens also. Along with these I usually use a microfiber cloth.

MDScanFan

I have never had to use anything more than a microfiber cloth to remove fingerprints. For reference, the manual states:

"Touch screen maintenance • If the touch screen becomes dusty or dirty, wipe it clean with a soft, dry cloth. • When you wipe the touch screen, be careful not to push it too hard or scratch it with your finger nails. Otherwise you may damage the screen."

Status
Not open for further replies.