Coax switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
I would like to get some advice on my best solution for this:
I have 3 antennas on my tower.
2 700/800Mhz Yagi's and 1 Omni X.
I have 3 runs of LDF4-50 feedline into the house, jumping down to LMR400 and then to RG6 into my scanners.
I would like to hook the coax into a switch and be able to select which antenna to use. Thank you for your input.

WB9YBM

I have 3 antennas on my tower.
2 700/800Mhz Yagi's and 1 Omni X.
I would like to hook the coax into a switch and be able to select which antenna to use. Thank you for your input.

The majority of switches I've seen go up to only 30MHz so be sure to check what frequencies they're rated for.

prcguy

You might do better with something like this designed for high frequencies. This is a coaxial relay with four inputs and one output. It needs 28V continuously then a 5v signal to select the port and you can remote the switch anywhere and have a little box with a four position switch and 5v power supply at your radio to select the antenna. These are surplus for $24 and you can't even get a cheap CB switch for that cheap. This is just one of many similar solutions and the new prices are in the hundreds of $$.

You have wonderful feedlines from your antennas to the house, why would you throw a wrench in it by going to RG-6? Keep it all 50 ohm then use short jumpers with SMA to the coaxial relay then SMA to BNC to your radio.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I will check out the RCT switch in the link, thanks.
I did not think I was throwing a wrench in my setup as there are many comments on here about a short run 4-5ft of RG-6 and 75 ohm would not affect anything much at all?
I will check out the Diawa gear too, thanks.

prcguy

Some people have a mish-mash of parts, different impedance coax, TV amplifiers, etc, where it really doesn't matter what else they do. You on the other hand have a setup that many people dream about, why would you compromise it at the radio? I see it like you have a new Jeep Gladiator 4WD truck with winch and lots of off road accys and you finish it off with some 13" rims and low profile tires so it cant drive over a speed bump without scraping.

I did not think I was throwing a wrench in my setup as there are many comments on here about a short run 4-5ft of RG-6 and 75 ohm would not affect anything much at all?

CanesFan95

I use an Alpha-Delta that works good on VHF/UHF/700/800. It's got a middle position that disconnects from your radios and puts the antennas to ground, if you have a ground wire going to a ground rod that you can attach.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
What coax would you use then going from my LDF4-50 into a coax switch and then from the coax switch into my scanner(s)?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
There is an ultra flex version of the LMR-240 as well, if you need it. It uses stranded instead of a solid core. Short jumpers of LMR-240UF are very convenient.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Gadgetmann,
Assuming you are going to replace your short jumper cable(s) to your scanner, if time and materials presents itself try some old cable vs. new cable comparison with weak and marginal signals. I often go down that path just to see if everyday casual 'whatever radioing' I'm doing I can tell the difference.
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.