These are USB. Correct ? (not digital)

etc.

Thanks,
Bob

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
ARINC is a Collins Radio service.
Is this correct ?
Correct. ARINC was Acquired by Collins about 10 years ago. They're slowly dropping the ARINC brand name.
These are USB. Correct ? (not digital)
Correct. LSB and even AM is extremely rare (if not unheard of) in all civilian aircraft. The only digital mode is HFDL, but that is not on these freqs.
etc.
These freqs you listed are actually for MWARA. The US government contracted out communication services in our oceanic airspace. These freqs are used by Collins employees to relay requests and clearances between FAA Air Traffic Control and Aircraft.

LDOC stands for Long Distance Operational Control, and this enables carriers (for what I'm told is a shockingly large fee) to relay messages from aircraft to their dispatchers and vice versa. LDOC also allows phone patches between aircraft and their companies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Much thanks.
Just the info. I needed.

a. A bit more on LDOC would be appreciated: (I assume it is Not digital; true ?)

Is it also considered as MWARA ?

Run by Collins also ?

Freq's And modes ?

Sure is a lot (for me) to learn.

Thanks again,
Bob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
These links ought to blow your mind. Voice mode is USB. These links come from the UDXF website

Mike

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
a. A bit more on LDOC would be appreciated: (I assume it is Not digital; true ?)
LDOC is "Long Distance Operational Control". It is a way for pilots to set up phone patches with their company over the ocean. Using analog USB (like most, if not all HF aviation voice applications) they call on that freq and a Collins (formerly ARINC) radio operator takes the call and sets up the requested phone patch from a console in either San Francisco or New York.
Is it also considered as MWARA ?
MWARA is separate. MWARA is exclusively the bridge between pilots and ATC. Thus MWARA freqs are separate from LDOC freqs.
Run by Collins also ?
Correct. Both MWARA run on behalf of the US FAA oceanic air route traffic control centers such as New York Oceanic and Oakland Oceanic and LDOC are run by Collins.
Freq's And modes ?
Atlantic HF Assignments
ARINC HF/VHF Voice Coverage Atlantic/Carribean

All freqs on this chart are analog USB. All freqs on this chart are MWARA except for the handful on the right-center box labeled "LDOC FACILITIES". The labels on the other boxes such as "CAR-A" and "NAT-A" represent the MWARA regions those freqs serve. Although Collins will frequently combine up HF freqs during periods of lower traffic volume.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And to add to the terminology - groups of frequencies found in regions named like CAR-A and NAT-C are referred to as 'families'

Mike

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Is this correct ?
To be precise: Now it is Collins Aerospace (not Collins Radio and "Rockwell is gone) which is a subsidiary of RTX Corporation (which used to be Raytheon Technologies).

bearcatrp

Would I need a specific antenna to listen to 2.0 MHz or will my wire be able to listen that low? Have tried in the past to listen that low with my R8600 but hardly anything heard. Thanks

nd5y

Are the HF sites collocated with the VHF sites? Locations of HF sites?
They are all licensed to Aviation Spectrum Resources or Rockwell Collins.
Be aware that the FRN list contains expired and cancelled licenses.
Click the column headers to sort.
Click the callsign to see locations of individual licenses.
The HF frequencles listed on the FCC license are channel center. Subtract 1.4 kHz to get the USB dial (suppressed carrier) frequency.
There could be more FRNs that I can't find easily.

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

And Collins Aerospace, now owning ARINC, is a subsidiary of RTX Corporation (the old Raytheon). (Note also the old entity "Rockwell-Collins", which bought ARINC in 2013, no longer exists.)

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Are the HF sites collocated with the VHF sites? Locations of HF sites?
NO. many more VHF sites than HF.

HF transmitter sites:
Barrow, Alaska has VHF antennas at the HF site. (been there)
Riverhead, NY, Dixon or Delano CA (the old VOA site), and one in South America (Bolivia?)

Many more VHF sites without HF at various airports across the USA

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
They are all licensed to Aviation Spectrum Resources or Rockwell Collins.
Be aware that the FRN list contains expired and cancelled licenses.
Click the column headers to sort.
Click the callsign to see locations of individual licenses.
The HF frequencles listed on the FCC license are channel center. Subtract 1.4 kHz to get the USB dial (suppressed carrier) frequency.
There could be more FRNs that I can't find easily.
Note my post that the company "Rockwell Collins" no longer exists. It is now Collins Aerospace, a subsidiary of RTX Technologies (old Raytheon). I recently visit their two HF facilities used by their experimental license in Iowa.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Does not matter. I have been to their company headquarters and when I worked for the government worked with them at times. See also for example this page and note "was" in the first sentence.
To make things more confusing, click on https://www.rockwellcollins.com/
and note after that, "Rockwell", only "Collins Aerospace" appears on the pages. Even the company has trouble shaking the old name.