CoMIRS question

stormycat

I have tried to figure this out over the past few months on my own with out asking questions. But I’m stumped. I travel on 91 from the CT line up into Franklin county very often and I have the new CoMIRS system programmed in and I get absolutely nothing from the CT line all the way up into Franklin county. I was under the impression that this system was up and running and I could monitor troop B and Franklin county fire and police dispatch. Any help would be appreciated thanks

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've always found Springfield to be on the very edge of the CoMIRS western MA system. In that area I always hear more on the analog system still in use along with the CoMIRS system.

There is a site in Franklin County, but I believe it to be mostly there for Franklin County public safety.

It's important to remember that P25 systems are more "granular" in that you will not hear all TGs on all "campuses" (sites). Technically what ties everything together is the Motorola radio core, which almost all of the P25 systems in MA use. Maybe it's actually ALL. Even though Worcester uses TGs that are consistent with CoMIRS, I'm not sure if they use the Motorola core as they are a Harris system.

W1KNE knows the system very well, as do a couple of other members.

Confused yet?

The best information out there is at this location. Massachusetts Commonwealth Interoperability Radio System - Scan New England Wiki

The expansion of CoMIRS is supposed to start coming on line next year, but big projects like this often run behind schedule.

Yeah I can pick up the state police system just fine. I’m trying to figure out if COMIRS is online for troop B and if I can pick it up in the Springfield area

pboissy

Premium Subscriber
I alway monitor CoMirs in the area you r referring to. Never have an issue. What type of station r u using?

creeperjeep

Lit GMRS
It's important to remember that P25 systems are more "granular" in that you will not hear all TGs on all "campuses" (sites). Technically what ties everything together is the Motorola radio core, which almost all of the P25 systems in MA use. Maybe it's actually ALL. Even though Worcester uses TGs that are consistent with CoMIRS, I'm not sure if they use the Motorola core as they are a Harris system.
I'd venture to say they're on the core with their *Motorola system.

cg

Premium Subscriber
CoMIRS is the entire system, there is the mostly analog Motorola Type II portion and the P25 Phase 1/2 portion.
The sites that are in the B South and B North Simulcast cells are located where I-91 coverage is decent top to bottom. However, remember that the Western MA P25 portion is designed as a mobile based system and coverage is designed for that. There have some additional sites built since the original buildout both in the Simulcast and as standalone sites.

All that said, to get nothing indicates programming issues at your end. Also, you don't mention the scanner used so there could be some simulcast issues if you are using a non SDS radio. However, to get nothing from a P25P1 TRS is odd.

Do you see bars with the control channel when you are in the area? Coverage is pretty good down towards Hartford so anywhere there north should be receiving it. I am in Granby (CT) and it is a strong CC signal here on 853.9000.

nikronzo

It is not, all of Mass is on the state Motorola core, State Police Analog/Digital sites and the satellite sites for Worcester, Cambridge, Metro700, Massport

stormycat

CoMIRS is the entire system, there is the mostly analog Motorola Type II portion and the P25 Phase 1/2 portion.
The sites that are in the B South and B North Simulcast cells are located where I-91 coverage is decent top to bottom. However, remember that the Western MA P25 portion is designed as a mobile based system and coverage is designed for that. There have some additional sites built since the original buildout both in the Simulcast and as standalone sites.

All that said, to get nothing indicates programming issues at your end. Also, you don't mention the scanner used so there could be some simulcast issues if you are using a non SDS radio. However, to get nothing from a P25P1 TRS is odd.

Do you see bars with the control channel when you are in the area? Coverage is pretty good down towards Hartford so anywhere there north should be receiving it. I am in Granby (CT) and it is a strong CC signal here on 853.9000.

Okay I thought this was a phase 2 system. I will bring my BCD396XT with me and see if I can get that to lock onto a CC. What I’m trying to use to monitor it with is a G5. That’s what I’m having issues with. but that fact that you have a good lock on a CC that looks to be on the western mass south site in granby means something is wrong on my end. you answered one of my questions as well as to what site covers the best down to the CT line

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. For some reason I thought Worcester was Harris.
It is not, all of Mass is on the state Motorola core, State Police Analog/Digital sites and the satellite sites for Worcester, Cambridge, Metro700, Massport

garys

Premium Subscriber