CoMIRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

skybug

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
17
Location
Massachusetts.
Hello, so I have had my SDS00 for some time now, very much enjoy this scanner. At some point I had put in the CoMIRS system but didn't catch anything. And Yes, I liev in Eastern Mass so not much going on in this part of the state as I have read a while back. Well I happen to put this system in again at the end of last week, set it for ID Search and picked up 25+ hits, a few of them had names on them, the rest came up as unknowns. This all happened on one day, ever since then, nothing. So on Monday before leaving for work I set the system on ID Scan and came home, nothing logged. Been quiet ever since. Has anyone tried to listen in on this system? Attached is the run I got on that one day. Is it an off and on system?
 

Attachments

  • CoMIRS_Run.GIF
    CoMIRS_Run.GIF
    201.1 KB · Views: 138

Lexmm

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
13
Reaction score
11
Location
Eastern Massachusetts
The CoMIRS Metro Boston 700 Overlay site is very active. Perhaps you are out of range. The signal doesn’t reach much beyond 128.
 

skybug

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
17
Location
Massachusetts.
I must have gotten lucky that day, I'm around at Rt. 495 area. As you can see, that was just a snipit of the log, the list was about a dozen or so longer with more hits. All of the unknowns were listed what they were here when I looked them up, just came up unknown in the log. That was using the ID Search, so the following day, I changed it to ID scan hoping it was show the names as well but received nothing the entire day, went back to ID Search, another day of nothing logged. Must have been a good signal day. Thanks
 

cg

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
1,783
Location
Connecticut
It doesn't matter if you are in ID Search or ID Scan, the TGIDs will show up if you have them programmed in. If you believe they are in the file, double check your programming

chris
 

StoliRaz

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
998
I've tried a few times then gave up. I also live by 495 but to the south. I've never received a single transmission from it, even with a pre-amp and 800mhz antenna. It really doesn't reach that far outside of the city unfortunately. Maybe someday I'll try again with an outdoor antenna. Just as well, I enjoy listening to the old analog system anyway. I feel like digital in general is all muffled half of the time, and one word responses like "control.." get chopped off frequently.
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,327
Reaction score
4,884
Location
Taxachusetts
Couple of Comments/Notes
Take those P25 TG's that you have as Unkown and multiply them by 16 and you get the Analog Equiv TG
which likely has been reported, but not in the P25 mode.

So your 2915 P25 TG = 46640 Analog which is Boston Muni Police Ch.02

CoMIRS is the entire Commonwealths Radio System, which is in two Flavors.
P25 [Phase I and II] and Analog [with some P25 Audio, but mostly Analog]

IF we take the Point Location of Rte-495/Rte-90 and consider the P25 Sites Only
- the chances of hearing the 700 overlay are Slim to None
- the chance of hearing the Framingham DOC Site - maybe [but you only will get Prison Data]
- the chance of hearing the Worcester [Mainly City of Worcester traffic] with the right location and beam maybe
- the chance of hearing the Cambridge or Massport Site - No Way
these sites are not designed for wide-area coverage as the old analog was, they are specific to the site/location

The main portion of the P25 Sites is Western Mass right now, so, unless you move this location to Rte-90 and Rte-128 for better 700 overlay monitoring, anyone in eastern mass will barely pick up MSP [for now] on the P25 network

Hope this helps
Hello, so I have had my SDS00 for some time now, very much enjoy this scanner. At some point I had put in the CoMIRS system but didn't catch anything. And Yes, I liev in Eastern Mass so not much going on in this part of the state as I have read a while back. Well I happen to put this system in again at the end of last week, set it for ID Search and picked up 25+ hits, a few of them had names on them, the rest came up as unknowns. This all happened on one day, ever since then, nothing. So on Monday before leaving for work I set the system on ID Scan and came home, nothing logged. Been quiet ever since. Has anyone tried to listen in on this system? Attached is the run I got on that one day. Is it an off and on system?
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
2915 is a mystery TG as there hasn't been a Boston Municipal PD in at least 20 years. I THINK it's City Hall Security, but it's not busy enough to for me to be sure.
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,327
Reaction score
4,884
Location
Taxachusetts

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
I'm not too sure that Wikipedia article is all that accurate. They were stripped of their police power and firearms when the agency was disbanded. As small number of them were accepted to the Boston PD, but only if they took and passed the municipal PD Civil Service exam. Surprisingly, a couple couldn't pass the BPD recruit background investigation.

Between MassPort PD and MSP, I'm surprised anyone else got in to do details at the Cruiseport.

But, I digress.
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,327
Reaction score
4,884
Location
Taxachusetts
Massport PD and MSP handle the actual Cruiseport and Black Falcon Ave
Muni Services handle the Parking Garage and Drydock Ave

I'm not too sure that Wikipedia article is all that accurate. They were stripped of their police power and firearms when the agency was disbanded. As small number of them were accepted to the Boston PD, but only if they took and passed the municipal PD Civil Service exam. Surprisingly, a couple couldn't pass the BPD recruit background investigation.

Between MassPort PD and MSP, I'm surprised anyone else got in to do details at the Cruiseport.

But, I digress.
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
Ahh, yes. I forgot that they guarded the gate at the BMIC. Or at least did. Part of that is owned by the city, part by MassPort. It's never boring in the city.
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,327
Reaction score
4,884
Location
Taxachusetts
Guess you have not been in there, since Retirement
Gate houses have long been removed [both sites] and they even have a Hotel that overlook the BPD/BEMS Marine station

Ahh, yes. I forgot that they guarded the gate at the BMIC. Or at least did. Part of that is owned by the city, part by MassPort. It's never boring in the city.
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
I have, but not within the last couple of years or so. I used to get in there to listen to the MCCA Hytera trunk, but there hasn't been a lot going on there since the start of the pandemic. Plus, a lot of what used to bring me into Boston I don't do any longer.

The last time I was there, I was amazed at how much it had changed. They even have parking meters in what used to be free spots! :eek:
 

skybug

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
17
Location
Massachusetts.
Hi folks, well I locked my sds200 on this channel and did pick up some from my location. I know someone said it didn't matter if I was on ID Scan or Search, from what I know about each, I thought, was the search will pick up anything out there and the scan just picks up the groups programmed in. But here is my capture, attached. Haven't been on the last few days, nice to see some talk on it.
1644628824431.png
 

skybug

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
17
Location
Massachusetts.
Hi folks, well I locked my sds200 on this channel and did pick up some from my location. I know someone said it didn't matter if I was on ID Scan or Search, from what I know about each, I thought, was the search will pick up anything out there and the scan just picks up the groups programmed in. But here is my capture, attached. Haven't been on the last few days, nice to see some talk on it.
View attachment 116569
Oh ya, and thanks for the info too.
 

garys

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
1,721
Location
Central Texas
That's pretty good coverage if you're hearing it in Tyngsboro. I wonder if that is normal or if the conditions were just right?
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,327
Reaction score
4,884
Location
Taxachusetts
As Gary said, Pretty Damn Good if this was from Tyngsboro as the nearest 700 known site to your would be Arlington

BTW 2963 is Suffolk Cnty Sheriff Prisoner Transport
2963*16 = 47408
Hi folks, well I locked my sds200 on this channel and did pick up some from my location. I know someone said it didn't matter if I was on ID Scan or Search, from what I know about each, I thought, was the search will pick up anything out there and the scan just picks up the groups programmed in. But here is my capture, attached. Haven't been on the last few days, nice to see some talk on it.
View attachment 116569
 

cg

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
1,783
Location
Connecticut
ID Search on a system that has been entered into the scanner with TGIDs programmed in, will find new groups that are not in the radio as well as allow those that are not locked out and turned on by QKs (if programmed)
ID Scan will allow only those programmed in, unlocked and turned on via QK (if so programmed)
I use only favorites so if you are using Zip code scanning, I can't say what happens there.
I run all trunked systems in ID search (for new groups)
 

skybug

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
17
Location
Massachusetts.
Chiming in on this and the reception on the signals. Been logging them almost daily, a few one day, 15+ other days. Was listening to Boston Fire and the Protection service this morning, was actually sitting here when one of the channels went active. Here is a snip of this morning log. This is currently being picked up on a Omni Antenna, have a directional for 700/800nhz that I'm going to experiment with soon and see what happens.
 

Attachments

  • 04092022.GIF
    04092022.GIF
    48.4 KB · Views: 46

skybug

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
17
Location
Massachusetts.
Well its been a while since I've been on. Seems that the CoMIRS is getting a little use now and then. Logging more hits lately considering the trees have all their leaves and usually my reception drops some but been getting more hits on this system now. On this run, some of the 800Mhz are logging now as well under this system.
 

Attachments

  • CoMIRS_Run.GIF
    CoMIRS_Run.GIF
    114.7 KB · Views: 41
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top