• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Community watch radios

SmileySixguns

I've been talking to many of my neighbors for some time about various radio communications for our neighborhood. I've managed to build enough enthusiasm to get some of them to buy a variety of GMRS and FRS radios. Some of the folks already had some FRS radios that they primarily used when traveling with family, and I've built enough enthusiasm amongst some of them to get them to be licensed with GMRS. We've conducted range tests and in our specific spot we're about to clearly chat at approximately 1 mile apart. We can easily cover our entire neighborhood's range. During Helene, we all had our radios on in the event we needed to come to each other's immediate aid.

rf_patriot200

I've been talking to many of my neighbors for some time about various radio communications for our neighborhood. I've managed to build enough enthusiasm to get some of them to buy a variety of GMRS and FRS radios. Some of the folks already had some FRS radios that they primarily used when traveling with family, and I've built enough enthusiasm amongst some of them to get them to be licensed with GMRS. We've conducted range tests and in our specific spot we're about to clearly chat at approximately 1 mile apart. We can easily cover our entire neighborhood's range. During Helene, we all had our radios on in the event we needed to come to each other's immediate aid.
MURS radios would be a good choice for this as well.

SmileySixguns

We discussed what radios most everyone already had, and the GMRS and the FRS versions were what most everyone already had, so we just went with them.

We actually have 1 Sheriff's deputy and 1 town police officer and a TSA agent in our community. We have kind of a campground atmoshpere within the community. We almost all chit chat with one another. The odds of us having actual problems with outsiders is relatively small, but not zero. But the radios do give us the ability to very rapidly respond to just about anything and call in all sorts of backup if we aren't enough

WX9RLT

Top Dawg
We discussed what radios most everyone already had, and the GMRS and the FRS versions were what most everyone already had, so we just went with them.

We actually have 1 Sheriff's deputy and 1 town police officer and a TSA agent in our community. We have kind of a campground atmoshpere within the community. We almost all chit chat with one another. The odds of us having actual problems with outsiders is relatively small, but not zero. But the radios do give us the ability to very rapidly respond to just about anything and call in all sorts of backup if we aren't enough

Sure is nice to hear there are good people still out there in this world.
Definitely, not in my area!

Police literally, got rid of our neighborhood watch groups.
When they encrypted. They refused to get our community involved and provide information or suspect descriptions.
And crime has skyrocketed.

Not long ago, a man was running from police.
Many citizens saw him and called police.
Police said "nothing was going on"
Even though, they were actively looking for him.
So our community, was in the dark.
The man, kicked in the door of an elderly woman, raped her and killed her.
Then stole her car and literally drove right on by the police and got away.
He was later caught in a community that was transparent...

I am a firm believer in transparency and community involvement.
Sadly, since encryption. Police gave our community the middle finger.
And these types of crimes, happen often now.
And our police deny the crimes.
Absolutely no justice for the victims, or our community.
Neighborhood watch groups are vital in community relations and safety!

The family radios would be best.

We used these: GXT1050VP4
Worked perfect, for what you are looking for!

Last edited:

SmileySixguns

Neighborhood watch groups are vital in community relations and safety!
Absolutely! You just never know what situation may arise. I think part of the problem is you get a combination of egos and budgets. The ego folks don’t want anyone else’s help because they think it diminishes their importance. One of our group even has a pretty nice drone and can put eyes in the sky for us in a matter of minutes. I don’t think anyone coming here and causing very much trouble would fare very well for very long lol