• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Companies using FRS radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Some local businesses in my area have been using FRS radios on channels 1, 2, and GMRS repeater channel 7. I was wondering how legal it would be for a company to use Family Radio Service radios for commercial operations, and if a company has a business license on a FRS/GMRS channel, am I (a licensed GMRS oporater) still able transmit on these channels. I don't want to annoy the businesses, so I'll stay away from their freq's anyway.

scanfreqer

Scanfreqer
Premium Subscriber
I thought the whole idea for getting a license was to transmit legally and would stop everyone from just grabbing a radio and use it. Business or not they should be held accountable.Main thing that comes to mind is immigrant bosses and play stupid with the laws, and say "we didn't know we need license?"

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I thought the whole idea for getting a license was to transmit legally and would stop everyone from just grabbing a radio and use it. Business or not they should be held accountable.Main thing that comes to mind is immigrant bosses and play stupid with the laws, and say "we didn't know we need license?"
FRS is license by rule.

And I knew I shouldn't have approved this as it will just become a big mess.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
The unfortunate way that FRS rules are written permits businesses to use. It is very unfortunate.

The problem started with FRS being authorized to share frequencies with GMRS. Licensed and unlicensed on the same channels? A recipe for disaster FRS should have been assigned their own stand-alone frequencies. Leave the licensed GMRS users and systems out of the mix.

rf_patriot200

Some local businesses in my area have been using FRS radios on channels 1, 2, and GMRS repeater channel 7. I was wondering how legal it would be for a company to use Family Radio Service radios for commercial operations, and if a company has a business license on a FRS/GMRS channel, am I (a licensed GMRS oporater) still able transmit on these channels. I don't want to annoy the businesses, so I'll stay away from their freq's anyway.
CTCSS/DCS tones will prevent you from bothering them, and them bothering you.

nd5y

CTCSS/DCS tones will prevent you from bothering them, and them bothering you.
Wrong. Tone squelch only prevents you from hearing anything that doesn't have the same tone. It doesn't prevent interference, it only hides it util there are two or more radios within range of each other with different tones transmitting at the same time.

kirk5056

Premium Subscriber
PL filters (CTCSS/DCS tones) DO hide other radios and interference 99.9 % of the time. I think that is all the OP really needs. The interference suggested above is only important if 1) two groups try to communicate at the same time. In my area you rarely can get ONE group using a channel, let alone more than one, at the same time. 2) the interfering radio (or RF source) has to appear to your listening group to be more powerful. FM Capture Effect weeds out weaker signals. Since the FRS radios the OP is complaining about are limited to 2 watts the likelihood of interference is VERY low. In radio, 99% is ok.

Last edited:

Hans13

PL filters (CTCSS/DCS tones) DO hide other radios and interference 99.9 % of the time. I think that is all the OP really needs. The interference suggested above is only important if 1) two groups try to communicate at the same time. In my area you rarely can get ONE group using a channel, let alone more than one, at the same time. 2) the interfering radio (or RF source) has to appear to your listening group to be more powerful. FM Capture Effect weeds out weaker signals. Since the FRS radios the OP is complaining about are limited to 2 watts the likelihood of interference is VERY low. In radio, 99% is ok.
Exactly.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
FRS stands for Family Radio Service Not BRS Business Radio Service. Leave it to the FCC to mess up again. What will they mess up next?
k5ziv
wrpu444

The FCC is only a regulatory agency when it suits them. They respond to interference complaints and safety-of-life issues (like interference with aircraft navigation systems and EAS compliance), but on things like FRS and GMRS, their policies and future plans follow the money. The FCC takes their direction from equipment manufacturers. If there's a rule change or new service that can be created that brings new revenue to Motorola or Midland or Baofeng, they're all about making it happen. It's rare to see input from end users carry the same weight in public comments that the equipment manufacturers get. Ther FCC is a facilitator of big business interests and it's been that way since the early 1980s.

rf_patriot200

Wrong. Tone squelch only prevents you from hearing anything that doesn't have the same tone. It doesn't prevent interference, it only hides it util there are two or more radios within range of each other with different tones transmitting at the same time.
Well that's true if you're close to the business or user, but as long as you're 1-2 miles away on a different tone you shouldn't have any interference since they're only half watt radios.

paulears

I think you’re missing the point. You have frs and in europe we have pmr446. We have it because licensing is too expensive. You give people the option for short range free radio and leave them to it. You charge big businesses with wide areas and thousands of radios HUGE amounts of money but give them protection. If the local supermarket buy a few frs radios they wont care about hobby users who want to use them like CB! That’s what CTCSS is for. Users who have CTCSS off are not really what it was designed for!

rf_patriot200

I think you’re missing the point. You have frs and in europe we have pmr446. We have it because licensing is too expensive. You give people the option for short range free radio and leave them to it. You charge big businesses with wide areas and thousands of radios HUGE amounts of money but give them protection. If the local supermarket buy a few frs radios they wont care about hobby users who want to use them like CB! That’s what CTCSS is for. Users who have CTCSS off are not really what it was designed for!
Sorry, didn't notice til now you were in the U.K. Yep, Pmr changes things.

paulears

No, it doesn’t? Frs in the us is the same as our pmr446. It’s free, unregulated and intended for a very different use to other telecom types. We too have hobby folk wa ring longer ranges and to talk to strangers, but the point of it is for small groups local to each other to communicate without outsiders. Being interfered with by the local shoe shop or burger restaurant is how it works

Status
Not open for further replies.