• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Power outputs on GMRS radios

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I am still unclear if the basic FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios automatically change power settings based on the channels they are on.
Does anyone know?
Back in the day, the original FRS radios used 0.5w for ALL channels. I would expect that most of today's GMRS handheld radios are firmware-limited to only 0.5w on the 467 interstitials and either low or high power (if user selectable) on all the other GMRS channels.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I am still unclear if the basic FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios automatically change power settings based on the channels they are on.
Are you looking at any FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios in particular?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Why don't you stick to what you do best because interrupting the FCC Rules is not it.

OK, so can you link to the section of Part 95E that says Part 90 LMR radios are approved for use on GMRS?

I'm happy to be wrong here, but I'm not seeing the exception that you claim is in the rules. 95.1735 doesn't exist in the current rules.

95.1761, which is actually published, says the opposite of what you are saying.

mac66

Not really, but I did just buy a Walker's Razor ear muff radio. It is an FRS radio that attaches to Walkers Razor ear muffs for shooting. No where in the manual, instructions, or specs online or anywhere else does it say what the power is or even that it's an FRS radio but I know it is since it works on FRS channels. I'm assuming it's a 1/2 watt/2 watt radio. Most every other FRS of recent years say they are 1/2 watt/2 watt radios but I haven't seen one that has the ability to manually switch from 1/2 watt to 2 watt so I'm assuming it does it automatically.

I'm just curious

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
but I haven't seen one that has the ability to manually switch from 1/2 watt to 2 watt so I'm assuming it does it automatically.

These are consumer products, and they know that most users aren't going to ever switch to low power. So, rarely an option.

As for the specifics on that radio, it should have an FCC ID somewhere on it. You can run that through the FCC database and it should tell you want the power output is, and if it's a legal FRS or GMRS radio:

KK6HRW

Actual COMBINATION FRS/GMRS radios should be a thing of the past, if I understand the FCC’s current position. Not to say that (very) old stock may still be offered for sale.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
I don't know where you learned that but it's totally wrong.
No GMRS frequencies were ever Part 90 business frequencies, unless it was in the 1970s or earlier.
Business (and other non-individuals) used to be eligible for GMRS licenses before about 1987.
Heck, I know that I'm not totally wrong in my post. I did misread the Wikipedia page and got confused. However, I wasn't entirely wrong, because those three channels are shared with the Business Band Pool, but they are not a part of Part 90.
At least, according to what I read in the Wikipedia page.

I hate being wrong, even if I wasn't wrong. I know that I wasn't entire wrong, just got the facts out of order.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Heck, I know that I'm not totally wrong in my post. I did misread the Wikipedia page and got confused. However, I wasn't entirely wrong, because those three channels are shared with the Business Band Pool, but they are not a part of Part 90.
At least, according to what I read in the Wikipedia page.

I hate being wrong, even if I wasn't wrong. I know that I wasn't entire wrong, just got the facts out of order.

No, they are not shared with the business band pool.

Back up until about the 1990's, businesses could apply for, and be granted, a GMRS license. Often, on older radios, these "dot" channels were included to satisfy those licensed users.

The FCC eventually changed the rules so GMRS was for individuals only, and businesses could not receive NEW GMRS licenses. Existing businesses that were legally licensed on GMRS were grandfathered in and allowed to keep their existing GMRS licenses.

I haven't read the wiki, but it's possible it's not very clear on this matter.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber

Back up until about the 1990's, businesses could apply for, and be granted, a GMRS license. Often, on older radios, these "dot" channels were included to satisfy those licensed users.

The FCC eventually changed the rules so GMRS was for individuals only, and businesses could not receive NEW GMRS licenses. Existing businesses that were legally licensed on GMRS were grandfathered in and allowed to keep their existing GMRS licenses.

I wasn't wrong, but I don't know where get your information from. I know I'm right, because I double checked on Wikipedia and those frequencies may not be shared now. But they were once. Don't Tell me that I'm wrong. I know what I read and understood what I read. True, I should have gone to the FCC site, but I didn't. I don't wish to go back and forth when I know what I'm talking about.

nd5y

Last edited:

rf_patriot200

These don't. They put out less than 0.5 W on all 22 channels so the transmit power doesn't change.
You have to do your research before you buy.
If the seller or manufacturer doesn't provide the FCC ID and full specifications and a user manual then don't be upset if what you bought turns out to be a chinese toy.
Ok, maybe those models do, but the models I've played with all revert to the half watt output from ch. 8-14 as they should. Power out was only able to be changed on 1-7 and 15-22.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Relatively new to GMRS but a question...

From what I read, GMRS rated radios are internally restricted to only transmit 5 watts on channel 1-7 and .5 w on channels 8-14. Channels 15-20 are open up to 50 watts.

So if you have a 5 watt hand held or up to a 50 watt mobile/base are the radios programmed to only transmit on the restricted power levels on those restricted power channels ?

If that's true for GMRS radios, can I assume if you had a ham radio that cover those frequencies those radios wouldn't be internally restricted as to power level? Or would they?

This question doesn't really have simple answer. Channels 01 through 07 Skip to 15 to 22 on simplex should not 5

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Relatively new to GMRS but a question...

From what I read, GMRS rated radios are internally restricted to only transmit 5 watts on channel 1-7 and .5 w on channels 8-14. Channels 15-20 are open up to 50 watts.

So if you have a 5 watt hand held or up to a 50 watt mobile/base are the radios programmed to only transmit on the restricted power levels on those restricted power channels ?

If that's true for GMRS radios, can I assume if you had a ham radio that cover those frequencies those radios wouldn't be internally restricted as to power level? Or would they?

I sincerely apologize for my off the wall Bone Head Answer. But you're correct, the First 7 channels are limited to 5 watts operating under Part 95 E GMRS and Channels 08 through 14 shall not exceed .500 mw or 1/2 watt.
Channel 15 through 30 shall not exceed 50 watts.
OTOH, Under FCC Part 95 B operating as an FRS rules and regulations, I'm not really too sure, but know the FCC requires Channels 01 through 07 to peek out at 2 watts while channels 08 through 14 remain at 1/2 watt. I assume 15 through 22 are required to be mandated like the first 7, 2watts.
I don't believe I'm entirely correct on this, but at least it's not a Bone Head Answer as my previous post.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OTOH, Under FCC Part B operating as an FRS radio, I'm not really sure, but the FCC requires Channels 01 through 07 to peek out at 2 watts while channels 08 through 14 remain at 1/2 watt. I assume 15 through 22 are required to be mandated like the first 7, 2watts.
I don't believe I'm entirely correct on this, but at least it's not a Bone Head Answer as my previous post.

You are correct. In addition to those FRS power limitations, FRS also requires a non-removable antenna on the radio.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
You are correct. In addition to those FRS power limitations, FRS also requires a non-removable antenna on the radio.

I'm not trying to put myself down, but it certainly feels good to get something right once in a while. Now, I may not have worded the way as the FCC has written Part 95 B and 95 E, but I just did my best to give a more intelligible answer.
Thank You!

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I sincerely apologize for my off the wall Bone Head Answer. But you're correct, the First 7 channels are limited to 5 watts operating under Part 95 E GMRS and Channels 08 through 14 shall not exceed .500 mw or 1/2 watt.
Channel 15 through 30 shall not exceed 50 watts.
OTOH, Under FCC Part 95 B operating as an FRS rules and regulations, I'm not really too sure, but know the FCC requires Channels 01 through 07 to peek out at 2 watts while channels 08 through 14 remain at 1/2 watt. I assume 15 through 22 are required to be mandated like the first 7, 2watts.
Yes, channels 15-22 max output power is 2 watts ERP by Subpart B rule for FRS type-accepted radios in order to not require a license.