Icom: Compatible auto tuner for Icom IC-7300

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have been looking for an auto tuner made by ICOM that will work with my IC-7300. I searched online but can't find anything but portable/mobile auto tuners. Didnt Icom make a tuner that came with the correct cable(s) for the 7300? I am using an LDG Z-100 plus and it is only good for less than a 30 watt digital signal. I need something with higher power. I am not sure I want to deal with LDG. I'd rather spend the extra $$ on an Icom tuner.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Why not use the built in tuner? And you said you're not interested in a portable which makes it sound like you're not looking for a tuner at your antenna feedpoint either...?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You mentioned you're not fond of LDG, but FWIW, the LDG IT-100 will work. It takes 100W and has a harness with the four pin Molex plug that fits on the back of the 7300. I use one with an IC-7000 in my mobile setup. Works well. https://ldgelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/IT-100Manual.pdf

I read somewhere they were discontinued.. Not sure if they are. If you look around you should be able to pick one up somewhere.

Last edited:

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Icom makes 1 tuner and 3 antennas listed for the 7300.
1634040495244.png

The AH-4 is designed for 80-6, depending on what you connect it to. Its intended to work with wire antennas, but isn't terribly wide banded.
1634040983021.png

The AH-2b is a mobile whip to be used with the AH-4, and the AH-740 has a mechanical tuning base.

If you have good success with your Z-100, look to the AT-600ProII, it will do 300W digital. It is also approximately priced the same as the icom, and has an antenna switch built in.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
As noted above, the Icom AH-4 tuner may be what you're looking for. It can be mounted anywhere, but it is designed to be mounted outside and it is designed to feed a whip or wire antenna. I have used one in the past to feed a long wire, a loop, and a 27 foot vertical "spike". It is a very versatile tuner and is rated for 120 watts with no limitations of SSB vs. digital like other tuners.

I also have had very good experiences with LDG tuners. They mate to Icom radios very well through the 4-pin Molex "TUNER" jack on the radio. You are correct that the LDG Z-100 Plus is rated "125 Watts, 30W Digital". However, the LDG AT-200ProII is rated for "250 watts SSB/CW, 100 Digital".

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK so the antenna I am using is a G5RV set up as inverted "V" in my backyard. Tuner is LDG z-100 plus, radio IC 7300. When I first set this all up a few months ago it worked fine. The built in antenna tuner in the 7300 will NOT tune the G5RV.....due to space it is the only antenna configuration I can do. All of a sudden I cant tune 80 meters. Also intermittent high SWR on other bands. I am thinking a relay must have failed. I am using good new coax about 90 feet. I have always kept power output below 30 watts but I am thinking something might have happened to the tuner. The Z-100 plus worked very well tuning all bands (except 160) little to no swr. Now all I can do is use about 10 -12 watts and tuner works OK tuning 40-10 meters. Still will not tune 80...shows dead short. I tested out signal using WSPR with 10 watts and got good results so gear is working. I suppose it may be easier to just go with a higher rated LDG tuner.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The AH-4 tuner is meant to feed a whip or end fed wire and its not so friendly driving coax. Icom made a number of desktop tuners with an SO-239 output connector like the AT-180 that should work fine with a 7300. The G5RV was designed as a 20m antenna with a little gain and it happens to be of a size that kind of works on 40 through 10m. I used to run one many years ago until I discovered the ZS6BKW which is a modern computer designed version that actually has a good match on most bands 40 through 10m without a tuner. 80m will work with a similar match to a G5RV somewhere around 5:1 or a little worse. I highly recommend you replace the G5RV with a ZS6BKW, I ran one for years and its an excellent upgrade from a G5RV.

OK so the antenna I am using is a G5RV set up as inverted "V" in my backyard. Tuner is LDG z-100 plus, radio IC 7300. When I first set this all up a few months ago it worked fine. The built in antenna tuner in the 7300 will NOT tune the G5RV.....due to space it is the only antenna configuration I can do. All of a sudden I cant tune 80 meters. Also intermittent high SWR on other bands. I am thinking a relay must have failed. I am using good new coax about 90 feet. I have always kept power output below 30 watts but I am thinking something might have happened to the tuner. The Z-100 plus worked very well tuning all bands (except 160) little to no swr. Now all I can do is use about 10 -12 watts and tuner works OK tuning 40-10 meters. Still will not tune 80...shows dead short. I tested out signal using WSPR with 10 watts and got good results so gear is working. I suppose it may be easier to just go with a higher rated LDG tuner.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Here is some more info about the issue I am having.....attached is picture of radio transmitting with what I "believe" to be approx 10 watts. I am on 15 meters. If I raise power much past 12 or 13 SWR shoots up. Also picture of the power setting on the IC 7300....I am "assuming" 10% means about 10 watts since its a 100 watt radio. And power supply drawing what looks like approx 8 amps. Radio displays LESS than 8 amps....is it possible these meters on radio are not correct and I mighta BLOWN a relay in tuner? I have ALWAYS kept RF output NO MORE than 25%, thinking that is approx 25 watts. Since LDG tuner is only rated to 30 watts (digital) I assumed I was safe doing this. BTW running FT8 mostly. If I keep power level to 10-12% everything behaves fine, no swr. Still cant tune 80 meters.....is it possible some mechanism in the tuner which tunes low, like 80 meters is fried? So I am stuck with a low TX output.

Attachments

• Amperage.jpg
    Amperage.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 9
  • rfpower.jpg
    rfpower.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 12
  • display.jpg
    display.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 12

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The AH-4 tuner is meant to feed a whip or end fed wire and its not so friendly driving coax. Icom made a number of desktop tuners with an SO-239 output connector like the AT-180 that should work fine with a 7300. The G5RV was designed as a 20m antenna with a little gain and it happens to be of a size that kind of works on 40 through 10m. I used to run one many years ago until I discovered the ZS6BKW which is a modern computer designed version that actually has a good match on most bands 40 through 10m without a tuner. 80m will work with a similar match to a G5RV somewhere around 5:1 or a little worse. I highly recommend you replace the G5RV with a ZS6BKW, I ran one for years and its an excellent upgrade from a G5RV.
I will look for information on the ZS6BKW....The inverted V is the best option for me. I have a yard with one pear tree in backyard! No other trees. I have middle of G5RV mounted up on two 11' sections of thick bamboo pole which is tied up with rope in the pear tree. Each end of antenna is attached to fence poles on either side of backyard. Its not up very high but works good. Would the ZS6BKW be same size as what I am using? I cant fit anything longer without running excess wire along top of wood fence. Here is how antenna is set up in pictures....feedpoint up in top of tree maybe 25 (?) feet up. Other pic shows how I ran outta room and had to run rest of wire along fence, about 6 or 8 feet. But it still works fine.

Attachments

• 20211012_124246.jpg
    20211012_124246.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211012_124304.jpg
    20211012_124304.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 15

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Will the AT 180 connect to my IC 7300 with the supplied cables it comes with? Looks like this tuner is discontinued!!!

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The ZS6BKW is about 94ft long with about 41ft of ladder line, similar to a G5RV size but better. The AT-180 is probably discontinued but there should be new and used ones for sale. It should have the 4 pin Icom tuner connector compatible with the 7300.

Will the AT 180 connect to my IC 7300 with the supplied cables it comes with? Looks like this tuner is discontinued!!!

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Have you changed or upgraded coax lately? A G5RV has a terrible match on 80m which is difficult for some tuners. When you have a lot of coax like RG58 or RG-8X the coax is lossy and makes the match look better. I've seen lots of times where someone upgraded from RG-8X to LMR400 and now the tuner cant match the antenna because there is less loss and the tuner is now seeing the bad match which is out of range of the tuner.

Here is some more info about the issue I am having.....attached is picture of radio transmitting with what I "believe" to be approx 10 watts. I am on 15 meters. If I raise power much past 12 or 13 SWR shoots up. Also picture of the power setting on the IC 7300....I am "assuming" 10% means about 10 watts since its a 100 watt radio. And power supply drawing what looks like approx 8 amps. Radio displays LESS than 8 amps....is it possible these meters on radio are not correct and I mighta BLOWN a relay in tuner? I have ALWAYS kept RF output NO MORE than 25%, thinking that is approx 25 watts. Since LDG tuner is only rated to 30 watts (digital) I assumed I was safe doing this. BTW running FT8 mostly. If I keep power level to 10-12% everything behaves fine, no swr. Still cant tune 80 meters.....is it possible some mechanism in the tuner which tunes low, like 80 meters is fried? So I am stuck with a low TX output.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Have you changed or upgraded coax lately? A G5RV has a terrible match on 80m which is difficult for some tuners. When you have a lot of coax like RG58 or RG-8X the coax is lossy and makes the match look better. I've seen lots of times where someone upgraded from RG-8X to LMR400 and now the tuner cant match the antenna because there is less loss and the tuner is now seeing the bad match which is out of range of the tuner.
The coax is the same since I first installed over Summer. The tuner was tuning 80 perfectly with no problem before. I figured lmr-400 was overkill for HF since I am not running much power.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with my IT-100 and IC7100 earlier this year. The tuner was WAY out of warranty but I followed the instructions on the LDG website to return it for repair. Turns out that indeed a relay had failed. They fixed it and shipped it back. I emailed them asking "How much for the repair?" and got a reply of "No charge". FYI - Even though the IT-100 has been discontinued it has been replaced by new, improved model in the same price range. LDG, MFJ have reasonably priced auto tuners designed for your IC-7300. Two things to be mindful about when you compare tuners: 1) What is the max RF power rating for continuous duty (digital modes)? and 2) Does the tuner stop at 30 mHz, or does in include 6 Meters (50 mHz)? Get your IT-100 repaired, buy a new tuner with more power handling ability, and sell your IT-100 to help cover the cost of the new one.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with my IT-100 and IC7100 earlier this year. The tuner was WAY out of warranty but I followed the instructions on the LDG website to return it for repair. Turns out that indeed a relay had failed. They fixed it and shipped it back. I emailed them asking "How much for the repair?" and got a reply of "No charge". FYI - Even though the IT-100 has been discontinued it has been replaced by new, improved model in the same price range. LDG, MFJ have reasonably priced auto tuners designed for your IC-7300. Two things to be mindful about when you compare tuners: 1) What is the max RF power rating for continuous duty (digital modes)? and 2) Does the tuner stop at 30 mHz, or does in include 6 Meters (50 mHz)? Get your IT-100 repaired, buy a new tuner with more power handling ability, and sell your IT-100 to help cover the cost of the new one.
OK I tried more troubleshooting and the BIG question is, is my problem a BLOWN tuner or worse a BLOWN (partial) radio??? I am not a technician and do not have any other HF antennae to try out. Much cheeper to replace tuner. Before I go out and spend the money on a better tuner, I want to make sure my radio is OK. But having no test equipment or the knowledge......What makes this even more difficult is my antenna, a g5rv in an inverted V WILL NOT tune with the IC 7300 internal tuner. I was able to tune 15 meters with low (15 watts) power with the internal tuner. Flat swr. So I NEED an external tuner since my g5rv is not resonant. It worked VERY well for months before things went to hell. Radio/tuner had no problem tuning all bands with mostly flat match from 80 to 10. Now it wont tune 80 even with low power. It will tune the rest of the bands with only 10-12 watts power. The LDG Z-100plus has a 30 watt limit on digital. Since day 1 I have only run the radio rf output between 15 and 28 watts, or 15% to 28% according to meter on rig. The most amperage draw on my Astron 35M was no more than 10 amps. So I am assuming I have NOT gone too high with transmit power. I am thinking the problem is the TUNER. The RADIO is showing no symptoms that I can see, but how do I know I didnt blow a final in the radio???? I have no way to test. Someone mentioned transmitting full power into a good dummy load. So I am holding off buying a new tuner till I am positive radio is not damaged. I like the idea of sending in my tuner for repair. I could sell it and buy a better one. I went outside and thoroughly checked antenna and coax. No issues. Coax is NEW, 100' of "218xATC RG8X foil/braid low loss high flex non contaminating PVC, UV resistant direct burial. Made is USA" I bought coax from reputable ham dealer online. Radio and tuner grounded with strap to cold water pipe. Bear in mind this set up worked FINE for MANY months since I first got the gear and set it up back in May. All of a sudden a few days ago, I couldnt tune 80 and other bands would only tune with low power (10-28 watts/percent) I thought it could be the JUMPER CABLE that came with the tuner. It is a short piece of thin coax with pl-259 on one end and a male BNC on the other. Why would LDG have a jumper cable like that??? A BNC??? I ordered a high quality jumper cable that will be here this weekend. I am sorta doubting thats the problem but I dont like that crappy cable. All connections tight and clean. Never ran full power on this radio (phone/CW) So maybe someone has some tips on checking to somehow see if my radio is not the issue. Then I can assume its the tuner.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
If you are getting any power out on other bands, your radio is likely just fine. Your antenna in that configuration can change it's resistance & capacitance based on many different things (humidity, temperature, water content in your wood fence, the leaves changing color and drying out, etc...). I have found, at times I can squeeze 160m out of my EFHW at low power, and other days it doesn't work, based on other factors outside my control like the weather. Similar to you GR5V, my EFHW is no where near resonant or a good match for 160. Like prcguy said, your antenna is a terrible match on 80m as it is, when the weather makes the match worse, your tuner can't keep up.

It seems the Z-100 did a good job and got you started. I'd second the recommendations above, send it in for repair, then sell it. Buy something "oversized" for your use, consider a factor of safety of 20%. Your 7300 can do 100W, make sure whatever you buy will handle digital of at least 120W. If you anticipate an amp in the near future, make sure you are covered now. 200W amp, get something rated at 240W, 500W amp, get a 600W rated tuner, etc.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
If you are getting any power out on other bands, your radio is likely just fine. Your antenna in that configuration can change it's resistance & capacitance based on many different things (humidity, temperature, water content in your wood fence, the leaves changing color and drying out, etc...). I have found, at times I can squeeze 160m out of my EFHW at low power, and other days it doesn't work, based on other factors outside my control like the weather. Similar to you GR5V, my EFHW is no where near resonant or a good match for 160. Like prcguy said, your antenna is a terrible match on 80m as it is, when the weather makes the match worse, your tuner can't keep up.

It seems the Z-100 did a good job and got you started. I'd second the recommendations above, send it in for repair, then sell it. Buy something "oversized" for your use, consider a factor of safety of 20%. Your 7300 can do 100W, make sure whatever you buy will handle digital of at least 120W. If you anticipate an amp in the near future, make sure you are covered now. 200W amp, get something rated at 240W, 500W amp, get a 600W rated tuner, etc.
I put the antenna up (there are pictures up above in this thread) back in late May/early June. Its been working perfectly since. All of a sudden a few days ago......:( I did send a repair request to LDG, found the original boxes it came in. I am waiting to hear back from them and will send the tuner in for repair. I would like to get one of the higher capacity rated LGD tuners. I know the G5RV is pretty non resonant. I am very limited as to what I can put up as far as antennae. If I had my wish I'd be using ladder line. But there is no way to get it into my shack where the whole thing is going to not look pretty unsightly (wife). Right now I am using a 100' length of good coax, direct burial, buried in a 15 foot slit in the ground. Then it comes up out of the ground and along side the deck, up along the side of house and into my window. No kinks or bends. I almost always use no more than 25 to 28 watts on FT8.....dont see the need to run more power since I am making loads of contacts. I am wondering if I simply replaced the g5rv twin lead section with the same length of coax. Or just put up a regular 80 meter dipole that I can tune 80-10. Then the tuner may have less to complain about. But yard is not wide enough for a full length 80 meter dipole without having to run a few feet along fence on one side like in picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.