• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

compatible flash on orions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbski100

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to run an 800 and vhf orion together. Single control head with dual radio and light and siren.
From what i have been reading here my flash will need to be the same in both mobiles.

What are my options for making this happen? Can I read the flash of the most updated unit and copy it to the other unit? If so how is it done?

If not then are ther other options other than going to Macom to get the most recent or compatible flash?
I have no real issue going somewhere for it, but am looking for the quickest way to resolve my dilemma.

Thank you.

Tom B.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Yes, you can read the flash from one and copy it to the other.

Use the Radio Maintenance Tools to "write code to file" (first hook up the donor radio to the programming cable, etc.) and also as part of the ROUTINE backup process that you should do with ALL radios,
also "write ADI/DSP to file" and read and save both the tracking data and the feature encryption data,
using the icons near the top of the screen.

Next, do the same thing for the target radio. Back up its code and DSP.

Now, first read the target radio, make any changes you may wish, and program it, but before you
program, a screen pops up that gives you the option to update the radio code. Use this feature to
navigate to the code you saved out of the other radio, select it, and continue. You may have to select
a DSP file as well. Select the same DSP that was already in that radio before if you don't know that
you have to change it.

After the radio is updated with new code and DSP, it'll then get the new file. The change is now complete.

Elroy

WCRadioGuy

Reading code from a radio and putting it into another is not recommended. Reading the code from a radio can cause the code to become corrupt and when putting it the new radio can render the radio inoperable. It would be better to get a fresh code that has not been pulled from another radio. PM me, I'm sure I have what you need.

Yes, you can read the flash from one and copy it to the other.

Use the Radio Maintenance Tools to "write code to file" (first hook up the donor radio to the programming cable, etc.) and also as part of the ROUTINE backup process that you should do with ALL radios,
also "write ADI/DSP to file" and read and save both the tracking data and the feature encryption data,
using the icons near the top of the screen.

Next, do the same thing for the target radio. Back up its code and DSP.

Now, first read the target radio, make any changes you may wish, and program it, but before you
program, a screen pops up that gives you the option to update the radio code. Use this feature to
navigate to the code you saved out of the other radio, select it, and continue. You may have to select
a DSP file as well. Select the same DSP that was already in that radio before if you don't know that
you have to change it.

After the radio is updated with new code and DSP, it'll then get the new file. The change is now complete.

Elroy

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Corruption in the read file is almost always due to interference from outside sources (like the tech at the next bench over is keying a 100 watt mobile radio into an antenna rather than a dummy load) or due to people attempting to do other tasks with the computer while reading the file. I've pulled radio code and
DSP code out of every radio I've encountered to add to my library, and on the occasions where I've
read it twice and compared the results, it's always bit-for-bit accurate.

I use only authentic M/A-Com or GE programming hardware and am fully confident that the files I
extract are entirely serviceable. I've never ever encountered a corruption issue with any code or DSP
that I pulled from one radio and put into another.

Elroy

JungleJim

Reading flash from the radio is not recommended by Macom because they have to cover their own rear ends if you hose a radio. In fact they have removed the "write code to file" and "write DSP to file" from Radio Maintenance R19 and later. We've all had to do it though and you will have no problem.

Just make sure both radios have the same type logic board, 256k or 512k as the flash codes are different and not compatible. In the flash code name is a series of five numbers. The middle one indicates the board revision. A "3" indicates a 256k logic board and a "4" is a 512k board.

Further, avoid any flash codes ending in "99". Those codes are for radio testing and site monitors. They do not support all the normal operating features and options.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I've noted that in Ver. 20 and RPM, that feature is omitted.

Fortunately, the read code feature in version 18 does just fine. It'll read the code and DSP out of a radio that's got the very latest and greatest J2R15 series code and F9 series DSP. Of course, 18 doesn't
know what to do with those files, but the update feature in 20/RPM does.

Elroy

tbski100

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your replies. I learn a ton from all these posts.

Ok so i got the orion 800 radio in the mail today. And as of right now i do not think the flash version is my biggest problem.

I powered the radio and save the tracking and other info in radio maintenance. Then i went o program it and noticed there are no features programmed in the radio. It was supposed to have quite a few features. Tried several times and there is just nothing there.
And after further checking out the unit i see it is a 256K and my VHF one i was gonna link to it is a 512K. So that not good either based on what i am reading here.
And to top it off there is no sticker what so ever on the bottom of the unit.

I am contacting who i bought it from for a refund but not sure how that is gonna go.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Does the radio even have an ESN? It'll show in the "GET STATUS" screen after using that button.

If it does, your feature encryption string is probably lost or corrupted. With the ESN to work from,
the TAC might...MIGHT...give you the assigned feature string if you ask nicely.

Elroy

Status
Not open for further replies.