Considering a new Sanner Purchase

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
I have previously owned the Whistler TRX one. I would really like a scanner that only has a limited keypad much like two-way radio.

Are there any scanner like WS 1080 that can do P – 25 phase 2 well and have a limited keypad.

Also for purchase a Motorola APX radio for example how hard are they to program?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Not really. All the Uniden Phase 2 scanners have a full keypad. Not many options overall.

Closest thing to fit your bill might be a Unication pager, though, not a scanner.

Also for purchase a Motorola APX radio for example how hard are they to program?
Not to come across as harsh or rude, but if you have to ask this, you should not be touching APX programming or considering purchasing one.

If you scroll to the Motorola section of the forums you will find countless threads of users with limited knowledge receiving little to no help with programming these radios - with good reason behind it due to legalities and protection of the public safety radio systems people are attempting to scan.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
To me an obvious question..why do you want a limited keypad? Are you afraid you might hit a key by accident? Otherwise, unless you are in public safety, more is better, since you don’t have to use the keys but they are available. 😉
And per the last reply, I agree if you need to ask about Motorola you probably need to do a bit more research in other sources.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Are there any scanner like WS 1080 that can do P – 25 phase 2 well and have a limited keypad.
Not a scanner in the traditional sense but the Unication G4 & G5 pagers...
shopping

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have previously owned the Whistler TRX one. I would really like a scanner that only has a limited keypad much like two-way radio.

Your current options would be Whistler's WS1080. WS1095, or one of these with the paid upgrade: Pro-18, Pro-668, or PSR800,

Keypad lock is a feature of many Uniden scanners too
Yep. Uniden's BCD325P2 and BCD436HP are both Phase II capable, with a keyboard lock setting. When 'locked', the only functioning keys are Function & Hold. Also the scroll knob for volume setting only.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Yep. Uniden's BCD325P2 and BCD436HP are both Phase II capable, with a keyboard lock setting. When 'locked', the only functioning keys are Function & Hold. Also the scroll knob for volume setting only.
SDS100 as well.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
But we still don’t know why the OP wanted a “limited” keypad😕

Blackswan73

I used a Whistler 1095 on a 700mhz phase2 simulcast system with no problems. The 1095 is the mobile/base version of the 1080. No numeric keypad. Another good scanner that doesn’t have a keypad is the Home Patrol 2. Also works great on phase2 systems. Excellent audio

B.S.

Last edited:

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I feel it’s just a waste of space when you’ve got software. Besides public safety radios don’t have a number pad.
Ok…each to his own. Please take this the right way..scanners are not public safety radios and the space used can be a life saver if you are out somewhere away from a computer. I have been super thankful when I was at an event and could easily add a freq or search range….just me I guess.📻😀

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Ok…each to his own. Please take this the right way..scanners are not public safety radios and the space used can be a life saver if you are out somewhere away from a computer. I have been super thankful when I was at an event and could easily add a freq or search range….just me I guess.📻😀
100% agree. I usually do my initial programming with software, then make adjustments on the fly with the keyboard later. Add an aviation frequency here or change an alpha tag there. If there's a minor update to the database I sometimes find it's easier to do it by hand vs booting up the computer, plugging in the cable, etc. It's nice having a huge menu of options available like the SDS-100/436HP have too

I think a Unication pager would be the closest thing you can get to having limited interface.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
The G5 is technically not a scanner and is used as a pager by some so while expensive, is not really comparable to other scanners. While I have heard it is a very good receiver, I have not tried since it did not fit into my listening requirements but it might fit in yours. I looked at the software and it is very different. There are many posts on this site about it. Expect a totally different learning curve. My only suggestion is take your time to fully investigate if it would work for you..not just the keyless part. Best of luck!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I would like to own a G5 but when I read the programming process forget it,...It maybe fine for some listeners but I don't want to waste my time programming I would rather be monitoring,....

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I would like to own a G5 but when I read the programming process forget it,...It maybe fine for some listeners but I don't want to waste my time programming I would rather be monitoring,....
Not quite sure what you've read... I go months to years without changing any programming. It's even easier now with Radio Reference importing.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, I do not own a G5 but probably if I did, I, too would program it, and not touch it except to update a freq or talk group etc. I would use other radios for search and on the go changes. Like all programmable radios there is a relatively high learning curve which is part of the hobby. It took me awhile on the SDS radios but it was worth it. However, I would certainly take the time if the G5 fell into my monitoring needs.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I only had to really update the G5 when traveling to a new area for work once and also to add a P25 System when a local county switched from a very old Smartzone system.

With being a premium member of Radio Reference it only takes a few minutes to import into the software and reprogram the radio.

Really no different than importing radio systems from Radio Reference in ARC XT program.