CONSTANTLY REPROGRAMMING

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayzdarr74

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2022
Messages
77
Reaction score
9
Location
Mercersburg Pa
This is a dumb question but is it bad for the scanner to repeatedly reprogram it as you are learning, or can it be infinite?
 

ofd8001

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
8,512
Reaction score
1,643
Location
Louisville, KY
It is perfectly fine to change your programming how ever often you want to. Few people ever have their scanners "just so".

Trying different things is really the only way to learn how to program and also see what works the best.
 

jayzdarr74

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2022
Messages
77
Reaction score
9
Location
Mercersburg Pa
It is perfectly fine to change your programming how ever often you want to. Few people ever have their scanners "just so".

Trying different things is really the only way to learn how to program and also see what works the best.
I really appreciate your response and I understand. Yes, this has been quite a learning process!! Have a great day :)
 

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 15, 2004
Messages
2,063
Reaction score
788
Location
Parker Co., TX
YEP...learned the hard way! Now, if the scanner uses a mini SD card, I remove it to program in the PC and then back into the scanner.
As much as I am always learning and changing my programming, I sure wish the BCD996P2 had a mini SD card.
 

jayzdarr74

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2022
Messages
77
Reaction score
9
Location
Mercersburg Pa
YEP...learned the hard way! Now, if the scanner uses a mini SD card, I remove it to program in the PC and then back into the scanner.
As much as I am always learning and changing my programming, I sure wish the BCD996P2 had a mini SD card.
I see. Yes well I think I've put as much in it as I'm gonna hear. I live kinda in the boonies some so.... ya know.
 

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Feed Provider
Joined
Jun 5, 2016
Messages
1,086
Reaction score
355
Location
Kings County, CA
I was always reprogramming mine when I first got them. Now that I have them just right, I only adjust them 1-2 times a year.
 

Randyk4661

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 27, 2019
Messages
690
Reaction score
612
Location
Garden Grove, CA
I've had my SDS100 for over two years now.
I'm always adding something new to it as I use it while driving for work.
I would think that if you aren't changing or updating the programming often, there isn't anything additional you can listen to in your area or you aren't listening as much as you use to.
 

wtp

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,470
Reaction score
3,152
Location
Port Charlotte FL
not to worry,
some solid state memory does have somewhat of a lifetime.
it is something like 100,000 read/write cycles.
so you should have some time.
 

aaron1964

Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
76
Reaction score
7
Location
San Diego, California
YEP...learned the hard way! Now, if the scanner uses a mini SD card, I remove it to program in the PC and then back into the scanner.
As much as I am always learning and changing my programming, I sure wish the BCD996P2 had a mini SD card.
Hi, I am wanting to program my SD card separately from my SD 100 and 200. I travel to a couple cities often and just want to slip the SD card in for the city I'm going to. Doesn't it erase the programming on Sentinel each time you re program an SD?
 

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Feed Provider
Joined
Jun 5, 2016
Messages
1,086
Reaction score
355
Location
Kings County, CA
Hi, I am wanting to program my SD card separately from my SD 100 and 200. I travel to a couple cities often and just want to slip the SD card in for the city I'm going to. Doesn't it erase the programming on Sentinel each time you re program an SD?
You should be able to save the configuration on your computer as a file and open it as needed.
 

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
12,188
Reaction score
4,573
Location
Dallas, TX
Hi, I am wanting to program my SD card separately from my SD 100 and 200. I travel to a couple cities often and just want to slip the SD card in for the city I'm going to. Doesn't it erase the programming on Sentinel each time you re program an SD?
No, it does not erase anything on Sentinel when you re=program a card. Unless you intentionally delete a Favorites list in Sentinel, its still there, unchanged, unless you manually edit (or delete it). Of course, if you 'read the scanner' back into Sentinel, then Sentinel may give you the notice that the list in Sentinel differs from the one in the scanner. You then have the option to either copy the changed info into the Favorites list in Sentinel, ignore the changes or copy with a new name.

All the lists you've created are still available in Sentinel, unless you intentionally remove one or more of them. You can have multiple Favorites lists, but you can go into your Profile, & change which lists will be downloaded & scanned by default, or simply downloaded, but not being scanned unless you change that via the Set Scan Selection process in the scanner. When writing to the scanner, or to an extra card in an external card reader, you do have the option to delete all the lists in the scanner (or on the card) before Sentinel writes to the card.

I have multiple lists in Sentinel, by use the profile to select which ones to load at any specific time. I have my 'local area' lists, for systems in my home area, but also have several other lists for use when visiting a friend out of town.
 

RichM

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2004
Messages
188
Reaction score
221
The only risk is damage to the USB port on your scanner.
For minor tweaks and changes I just program manually. For small changes/additions it’s faster and a good skill to know how to do. By the time I fire up the computer, load the software, plug in the scanner, download the current database, type in the changes, upload the changes and then save the file I could have made multiple changes manually. I only use software for major programming changes and/or scanner back up which usually only happens a couple times a year.
 
Last edited:

aaron1964

Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
76
Reaction score
7
Location
San Diego, California
No, it does not erase anything on Sentinel when you re=program a card. Unless you intentionally delete a Favorites list in Sentinel, its still there, unchanged, unless you manually edit (or delete it). Of course, if you 'read the scanner' back into Sentinel, then Sentinel may give you the notice that the list in Sentinel differs from the one in the scanner. You then have the option to either copy the changed info into the Favorites list in Sentinel, ignore the changes or copy with a new name.

All the lists you've created are still available in Sentinel, unless you intentionally remove one or more of them. You can have multiple Favorites lists, but you can go into your Profile, & change which lists will be downloaded & scanned by default, or simply downloaded, but not being scanned unless you change that via the Set Scan Selection process in the scanner. When writing to the scanner, or to an extra card in an external card reader, you do have the option to delete all the lists in the scanner (or on the card) before Sentinel writes to the card.

I have multiple lists in Sentinel, by use the profile to select which ones to load at any specific time. I have my 'local area' lists, for systems in my home area, but also have several other lists for use when visiting a friend out of town.
Thanks! I'll give it a try. I haven't really delved into Sentinel because I'm not very computer literate and I get frustrated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top