Contacting Ham operators without being one myself?

Thanks, Rich. Well, things have progressed quickly! Since I posted this, I got my tech and general licenses, and a radio to get on the HF bands. I started with a monoband dipole for 20m, but just put up a 40/30/20/15/10 trap dipole (in my attic, so it's a bit of a compromise, but it works). SWL-ing was fun, but it's definitely better when I can actually reach out to contacts around the world. (y)

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
eQSL supports logging for SWL'ers! I've received a few from Europe. eQSL.cc - The Electronic QSL Card Centre

There are some folks that exclusively use eQSL. Many of those are overseas. Also there are many that only use LoTW.

My ratio of logs to confirmations:
eQSL 2275/1106 48.6%
QRZ 2256/1708 75.7%
LoTW 1786/1341 75%

No idea why the numbers vary, as I diligently log to all three! Here's a sample QSL from a SWL:
1657031975630.png
With eQSL, the system generates a generic call sign for SWL's.

swlqsl

I only have an SDR (and a portable) reciever, so I'm not able to transmit, nor am I licensed. However, I have been picking up a lot on the ham bands. I came across this site to look up call signs: Callsign Database - QRZ.com

It's a cool site, and I see people have logbooks, but unfortunately, I guess I can't participate since I'm not a ham. Is there another site like this where I could give reception reports to people, or just say hi. I picked up a guy in Slovenia this evening, and found him on the QRZ site, but no way to say hello. Or are the ham guys not interested in reception reports from listeners only?
Hi I am new here but noticed your Question out there - We are a site like QRZ just launched for Shortwave radio people & we work with eQSL with our site you get SWL tools and contest info and a profile page like on QRZ.... with eQSL we show you how to get the most out of Shortwave listening... take care CJ

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Old timers will remember that certain countries once required potential amateur operators to send and receive QSL cards to active hams as part of the requirements to apply for a license. I remember getting a QSL card from a Russian SWL in the 1970's and was thrilled.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks, Rich. Well, things have progressed quickly! Since I posted this, I got my tech and general licenses, and a radio to get on the HF bands. I started with a monoband dipole for 20m, but just put up a 40/30/20/15/10 trap dipole (in my attic, so it's a bit of a compromise, but it works). SWL-ing was fun, but it's definitely better when I can actually reach out to contacts around the world. (y)

If one of your goals is to get copious numbers of QSL cards, that's likely not going to happen these days - Either people don't log, or they log to LOTW (Logbook of the World), QRZ.Com and/or EQSL.CC and simply do not send out QSL _cards_ unless specifically requested -- and oftentimes with a requirement to send some money.

I'd recommend that you find a logging program that you like and start logging all of your contacts. And you should choose a logger that supports uploading to LOTW (if you want to qualify for ARRL-specific awards), eQSL.CC (for some CQ awards), and QRZ.Com (for their own awards). I'd venture to say that even in this day and age, striving for awards is a major thing for most people on HF or working in contests or chasing grids or counties, etc. So, you want to be able to upload your QSL data to those places so that when the people you QSO with upload theirs, the QSL credit is given to both parties. If you don't log and don't upload to the major places, you're doing a disservice to the other hams who are working you and are needing your state on a particular band, or needing your grid square, or needing your county.

Sure, you could just go rogue and be in it all for yourself and not care about ever providing a confirmation to somebody else . But if you care about awards, or care about others who are working toward awards that may work you hoping for credit, then you'll want to upload your logs to those places.

Me personally, I only give a damn about awards provided by LOTW/ARRL. But I know others that I make a QSO with care about QRZ or EQSL / CQ awards, and so I upload all my QSOs to all three places so that those people can get QSOs (between me and them) confirmed. It's just the "right" thing to do.

Mike

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I only have an SDR (and a portable) reciever, so I'm not able to transmit, nor am I licensed. However, I have been picking up a lot on the ham bands. I came across this site to look up call signs: Callsign Database - QRZ.com

It's a cool site, and I see people have logbooks, but unfortunately, I guess I can't participate since I'm not a ham. Is there another site like this where I could give reception reports to people, or just say hi.

SWL, Ham, or whatever.
If you send me a QSL card I will send one back.

About once a year I get one thru the ARRL W8 Buro.

Just make sure your return address is clear on the card.

Dan AI8O

swlqsl

If one of your goals is to get copious numbers of QSL cards, that's likely not going to happen these days - Either people don't log, or they log to LOTW (Logbook of the World), QRZ.Com and/or EQSL.CC and simply do not send out QSL _cards_ unless specifically requested -- and oftentimes with a requirement to send some money.

I'd recommend that you find a logging program that you like and start logging all of your contacts. And you should choose a logger that supports uploading to LOTW (if you want to qualify for ARRL-specific awards), eQSL.CC (for some CQ awards), and QRZ.Com (for their own awards). I'd venture to say that even in this day and age, striving for awards is a major thing for most people on HF or working in contests or chasing grids or counties, etc. So, you want to be able to upload your QSL data to those places so that when the people you QSO with upload theirs, the QSL credit is given to both parties. If you don't log and don't upload to the major places, you're doing a disservice to the other hams who are working you and are needing your state on a particular band, or needing your grid square, or needing your county.

Sure, you could just go rogue and be in it all for yourself and not care about ever providing a confirmation to somebody else . But if you care about awards, or care about others who are working toward awards that may work you hoping for credit, then you'll want to upload your logs to those places.

Me personally, I only give a damn about awards provided by LOTW/ARRL. But I know others that I make a QSO with care about QRZ or EQSL / CQ awards, and so I upload all my QSOs to all three places so that those people can get QSOs (between me and them) confirmed. It's just the "right" thing to do.

Mike
I use eQSL and I have a call sign from www.swarl.org - it works pretty well when I reach out to HAMs I get pretty good responses via eQSL. I also have a youtube channel so if I record QSO between to HAM's they can check out that we actually heard them or decoded them on FT8 via my XHDATA Shortwave radio - so I usually get pretty good replies - Also eQSL has a eDX Award that SWL's can qualify for so far I have 31 countries and counting. It can be done you just have to do things a bit different to stand out - check out my website www.swlqsl.com see my call sign and profile page with some of the SWL awards we have thanks. CJ.. you can see my results also on eQSL just search VK2021SWL awards will show...