Control One Broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I notice in the Radio Reference database for Orange County a listing of 151.085 MHz, tagged as "Control One Access/Broadcasts." I have plugged this frequency into my trunking analog scanner hoping that I might pick up a RED channel crime broadcast occassionally, but alas, to no avail.

I remember during the Yorba Linda fire back in 2008 hearing a daily summary of acerage burned over this frequency, but since then I haven't heard much.

Is this is a frequency I should be concerned with?

Dave
KA6TJF

Mike_G_D

I rather like the Control One VHF frequency. Though it is not a rebroadcast of the RED talk group it does broadcast a lot of countywide road conditions which could be useful for some in the area. And, as you said, when major countywide disasters strike it also proves useful. I kind of wish San Diego county would do the same - it's a nice simple one frequency basic analog FM broadcast that gives fairly immediate information about general road conditions and various other issues during major disasters. It's good for those without a trunk tracking scanner who want basic road info, etc. Rather like the NOAA weather broadcasts do for weather information. I, personally, think it's a nice idea and should be considered by all counties - one simple analog VHF FM channel for major issue broadcasts. Good for hams with VHF PS receivers and outside agencies with basic VHF interop capability.

-Mike

judas12

I notice in the Radio Reference database for Orange County a listing of 151.085 MHz, tagged as "Control One Access/Broadcasts." I have plugged this frequency into my trunking analog scanner hoping that I might pick up a RED channel crime broadcast occassionally, but alas, to no avail.

I remember during the Yorba Linda fire back in 2008 hearing a daily summary of acerage burned over this frequency, but since then I haven't heard much.

Is this is a frequency I should be concerned with?

Dave
KA6TJF

is their a PL Tone?

SCPD

QRT
Thanks. I have heard a few Sigalert broadcasts over this frequency. Now I know what its main purpose is.

Dave
KA6TJF

MikeyC

The PL is 136.5

It's also used as a patch from the TRS system on big fires and other situations where they need to communicate with VHF users. Recently I was in Santa Ana and they had it patched to a fire tac doing nighttime helicopter ops with various regional fire copters.

judas12

The PL is 136.5

It's also used as a patch from the TRS system on big fires and other situations where they need to communicate with VHF users. Recently I was in Santa Ana and they had it patched to a fire tac doing nighttime helicopter ops with various regional fire copters.

cool thanx

Markb

Premium Subscriber
The primary purpose for OC ACCESS is for incident interoperability. Most of the cooperators surrounding OC are on VHF (CalFire, USFS, Corona FD, Long Beach FD and others). This system allows these cooperators, most of which don't have 800Mhz capability to set up a patch to any OC talkgroup. This applies to law enforcement as well - the patch can be set up on most CLEMARS channels as well as OC BLUE 460.525. For example, if a pursuit crosses the county line, Corona PD can set up a patch to RED or whatever and comm wise, the pursuit transitions seamlessly to OC law agencies.
As for the sigalert broadcasts, my best guess is that they do this for the news media outlets and other ancillary groups or agencies who may not have P25 digital capability since the old RED channel was transferred back to the state.

Mark

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You are right. They only patch the red channel with OC access 151.085 for special incidents. A few days ago ORCO Fire was doing a rescue of a hiker up in the Holy Jim Canyon on 5-Echo Talkgroup and the fire department was not sure if their 800mhz radios were going to work way up in the canyon so their Batallion Chief assinged to that incident requested from ORCO Fire Dispatch to patch 5-Echo Talkgroup seamlessly to 151.085 OC Access to VHF coverage. To my understanding 800mhz frequencies are direct signals and they are line of sight and VHF signals bounce off the atmosphere and have a longer coverage. It was cool. I was able to listen on VHF 151.085 and 800mhz TRS. But I kept it on 800mhz and monitored their 5 Echo talkgroup. They didnt have any trouble with their radios. The incident timer on that call was at least 3 hours. They were trying to get Duke helicopter and ORCO Fire helicopter out there, but the cloud cover and the rain conditions hampered the incident and they just had to have their fire department personnal go up the trail until they found the hiker and walked him down. Pretty Cool stuff when you turn on you scanner hear incidents like that.

SCPD

QRT
OC Blue

Mark, you mentioned OC BLUE on 460.525. I was once told that Orange County abandoned entirely its 460 MHz system. Does Orange County law enforcement still use some 460 MHz channels and, if so, can you list them for me?

Thanks,

Dave
KA6TJF

Mick

I used to hear 155.940 123.0 with CHP San Diego Co. Sigalerts. Have they stopped broadcasting them?

I rather like the Control One VHF frequency. Though it is not a rebroadcast of the RED talk group it does broadcast a lot of countywide road conditions which could be useful for some in the area. And, as you said, when major countywide disasters strike it also proves useful. I kind of wish San Diego county would do the same - it's a nice simple one frequency basic analog FM broadcast that gives fairly immediate information about general road conditions and various other issues during major disasters. It's good for those without a trunk tracking scanner who want basic road info, etc. Rather like the NOAA weather broadcasts do for weather information. I, personally, think it's a nice idea and should be considered by all counties - one simple analog VHF FM channel for major issue broadcasts. Good for hams with VHF PS receivers and outside agencies with basic VHF interop capability.

-Mike

Mick

I am still hearing occasional activity on these frqs:

460.025 156.7 CLEMARS Orange County
460.150 103.5 Or. Co. Sheriff’s Academy; Amber TA
460.300 103.5 Orange County (Maroon)
460.525 103.5 “Ch. 1” “Blue” Or Co: 5800’s Reserve SAR, 5900’s Bloodhounds

Mark, you mentioned OC BLUE on 460.525. I was once told that Orange County abandoned entirely its 460 MHz system. Does Orange County law enforcement still use some 460 MHz channels and, if so, can you list them for me?
Thanks,Dave
KA6TJF

CommLt

Feed Provider
460.025 is the old "RED" channel also known as CLEMARS. It still to my knowledge simulcasts the old and new RED channel broadcasts.

OC ACCESS 151.085 has been used for years using the old Plectron system and alert the media, schools, etc. to Sigalert traffic bulletins. This is still used and I scan it in the car. It is used now also as the interoperability channel patching 800 (or VHF) as mentioned before. It is intended for out of county units coming in on mutual aid. OCFA uses frequently for local resources in order to exercise the system and get personnel used to using it. Units in the mutual threat zone now all have VHF capability.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
460.025 is the old "RED" channel also known as CLEMARS. It still to my knowledge simulcasts the old and new RED channel broadcasts.

OC ACCESS 151.085 has been used for years using the old Plectron system and alert the media, schools, etc. to Sigalert traffic bulletins. This is still used and I scan it in the car. It is used now also as the interoperability channel patching 800 (or VHF) as mentioned before. It is intended for out of county units coming in on mutual aid. OCFA uses frequently for local resources in order to exercise the system and get personnel used to using it. Units in the mutual threat zone now all have VHF capability.

When ORCO moved all LE to 800 MHz, they gave up the 460.025 pair as "RED" but retained the infrastructure as CLEMARS, which is now used throughout the Southern California area (ORCO previously had a 75 mile 'exclusion' zone in the CLEMARS plan).

Mike_G_D

Interesting info! I didn't know the CLEMARS 460.025MHz channel rebroadcasts the RED talk group in OC. I haven't ever heard them do so at least in recent years.

Also, I have been wondering about the SD County frequency that is listed as "Sig Alerts" in the RR database that K6CDO and Mick wrote about. I have never heard any voice activity on it at all and K6CDO's response clears up the reason why. I think it needs to be removed from the database now - at least as a voice frequency.

It's too bad, actually. I wish they did still use it as what Mick said with voice traffic. As I said, I really like the OC Control One Access frequency idea and wish SD County had something similar.

Thanks for the info to all!

-Mike

Last edited:

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
How much infrastructure / coverage is available on 151.085? Peter Sz

monitor142

OC VHF Access is a countywide simulcast system with multiple voted/transmitter sites. It works very well for the more remote areas of OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.