correct frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeydad

I'll try this question here because I am not sure where it should go. I was advised it should go to my local forum but I don't think it belongs there.

I was trying to get some local transit transmissions but I am not picking any of them up. I was told that that they might have been re-banded. What I am wondering about is when I use one of the scanner software packages that are out there, and go to the radio reference downloads, how do I know for sure that I am getting the correct frequencies. How are the databases checked for accuracy? I for the most part, have had good luck with the downloads from RR. What do I need to do?

I'll try this question here because I am not sure where it should go. I was advised it should go to my local forum but I don't think it belongs there.

I was trying to get some local transit transmissions but I am not picking any of them up. I was told that that they might have been re-banded. What I am wondering about is when I use one of the scanner software packages that are out there, and go to the radio reference downloads, how do I know for sure that I am getting the correct frequencies. How are the databases checked for accuracy? I for the most part, have had good luck with the downloads from RR. What do I need to do?

Hello, great question...how does RR get updated freq's, do you get updates from the radio techs? and how do you know if these updated freq's are are correct?

Greg V

hfxChris

Database Admin
We get all of our updates and new information from users just like you guys. Anybody who wants to is free to submit their information to RR, so we can update the database appropriately.

And to hockeydad, I think whoever advised you to ask your question in your local forum is correct, somebody should be able to answer that question there.

wb0wao

And with the addition of the PRO-107 (and I am sure future models of scanners) using the RR database as a primary source document, it is now more important than ever that we make sure that the database is correct as well as current. As for myself, I just went through the Cape Girardeau County database listings to verify them. I did find several incorrect listings that were removed as well as some changes to existing entries. Thanks to StarCom21 for putting up with my numerous submissions! Right now, I would say that the major frequencies - police, fire, ems - are pretty much 99% accurate (there are a couple that I have not been able to positively verify).

Bottom line is that we are the ones responsable for the accuracy of the database - not the database admins.

Dennis

mciupa

Bottom line is that we are the ones responsible for the accuracy of the database - not the database admins.
Dennis

However, we do expect that the local DB admins have some expertise and can weed out or dispute questionable data.

hockeydad

I want to thank those who replied. I did make a discovery last Friday, much to my chagrin.
I had been using the Butel software since I had purchased my scanner GRE PSR 600 last July. I hadn't up to recently had a lot of time to spend with it. I tried the Win500 software. It to uses the RR for frequencies. So, can some one explain to me why do the frequencies I was missing from the Butel software now come in like gang busters? I also tried the PSREdit and I thought that one also got some of the frequencies I was missing. I beleive now my issue was not with faulty download freq's but with the software I was using.
I know from reading other postings that some other people were not happy with the Butel software. I'm not here to bash them, I am just curious why one works better than the other, using the same database?

Status
Not open for further replies.