• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CPS programing Issue/question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimyhatt

Hey All,

I have been programing moto gear for years and am pretty familiar with the CPS/RSS platforms. I have programmed everything from the Maxtrac to APX lines of radios and typically everything goes smoothly. I have a MCS2000 model 2, high-power VHF radio that I have programmed that lives at a remote cabin. I brought it down a few weeks ago to update the programming in it.

Well get it all set up today after dragging the old XP machine out. Everything seems to go as planned, but in CPS I can only read the radio and save the cqodeplug. Weird. CPS lets me read and save the cqodeplug and I can change some settings (like com ports, etc) but I can't make any changes to the actual programing fields. All the tabs have a red circle with slash, and all the field are grayed out or just can't be changed. I dug thru the help file with no luck. This isn't something I have seen before, so I am not sure whats going on. Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

RKG

Some radio shops lock codeplugs they create via a password option. This forces the customer to come back to the same shop for any programming upgrades or maintenance. I consider the practice unethical, and the shops in my area know that if they do it to any of my clients, they'll never work again for anyone I take on.

Supposedly there are ways to extract the password, or null it, via hex editting. Since I've never faced the problem, I don't know the specifics

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Codeplug

It has been awhile since I programmed a Motorola, but I recall a similar problem if something in the codeplug was incorrectly programmed. This was to prevent writing the file to the radio and possibly bricking it.

jimyhatt

Yes, unfortunately this isn't the case. These are my radios, and I programed them last.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CPS. The weird thing is I can read and write the file to the radio with no problem. I just can't change any of the fields....

Not a huge deal, I was able to dig out another computer and it worked totally normally. Something about this one computer that it just didn't like..

Chalk this one up to the Motorola gods just didn't want it to be....

dan212

Chalk it up to the windows Gods

jimyhatt -

Chalk it up to Windows as much as Motorola. Could be a driver issue. Could be anything about the install or other crud on the machine. This is windows after all and all things being equal, the fact that you can use another windows machine indicates that there is something mangled in the windows instance you are having trouble with.

You can try uninstalling and reinstalling. Be sure to reboot between steps. Make sure that the drivers are installing. Force install the drivers by hand if you have to (test that it isn't working first). You might also look at the Windows Event log for a hint at what is going wrong.

Since newer versions of CPS use the network interface to communicate (which is actually very cool), check that you don't have a firewall setting causing you angst or an an IP address conflict between your LAN/WIFI connection and the IP connection you have with the device. PM me for help on how to deal with this.

Or just use the other machine if you can't be bothered :) :)

What version of windows are you running? What version of CPS? How old is the machine?
You didn't say if you had been able to use this machine with previous versions of the software. If so, something definitely got mangled between updates of something.

I have been a programmer for about 30 years. Windows is better than it used to be. But this is still windows. I run windows only in a virtual machine. I have a VM just for the Motorola software and other VM's for other purposes that require windows.

All too often one driver or package will scramble another. Sometimes updates from the same vendor. The whole thing, registry and DLL's and all remain - ummm delicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.