Csq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am confused... my police dept fire and ems are not showing ANY pl or dpl!! they are on a repeater, i think, 458.0375 and 453.0375 i can hear them better on 453.0375 and kinda crapy on 458.0375. anyways they dont show a pl or dpl! they have four channels... and none of them do. they both sound the same, so... help! i hear about people programming pl tones to mute when the repeater turns off! how do i? someone told me they might be on csq. is that bad?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
CSQ means "Carrier Squelch". This means there is NO PL/DPL tone. It's not a bad thing, you just don't need to enter a PL tone. The most likely reason for no tone is that there is no chance for interference from other agencies on that frequency.

The reason you are hearing it scratchy on 458.xxx is because that is a repeater input frequency. Don't listen to those. You will ALWAYS get better reception on the output frequency, in your case, 453.xxx.

Hope This helps,

elk2370bruce

For any repeater, there is both an input and an output frequency. It sounds like the 453.0375 is the output frequency that you want to listen to. You should so go to the top of the RadioReference screen and click on the database icon. Once there, click on your state and then look for the systems you want sorted alphabetically by county. PL's or DPL's are listed there as well. Good luck in your hunting expedition. The tracks are very marked here.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Csq

CSQ = Carrier Squelch. It means NO tones are used at all.
Not all repeaters/frequencies are toned, and this appears to be
the case here. It is only bad in the sense that you will hear everyone
within your range of reception that uses that frequency.

The reason they sound crappy on 458.0375 is that is the frequency
that the portable/handheld radios are transmitting on (rpt input).
The closer you are to a transmitting unit, the better the reception will be.
If reception of the repeater output 453.0375 is poor, then you need to
look into getting a better antenna, or using an outside antenna if you are not
using one already.

no i can hear them fine. this is only on the police channel but sometimes i hear this weird it kind of sounds like french or some other language almost. but i cant understand what they are saying. is this becuz they are on csq? sorry if i am asking stupid questions i just got it yesterday.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
84676868 said:
no i can hear them fine. this is only on the police channel but sometimes i hear this weird it kind of sounds like french or some other language almost. but i cant understand what they are saying. is this becuz they are on csq? sorry if i am asking stupid questions i just got it yesterday.
You are going to have to fill in some more details before we can help you with this.

First off, put the fact that they are CSQ out of your mind, this has nothing to do with it.

Now, what department/agency are you trying to listen to?
What scanner are you using?

From what you describe it sounds like you are either trying to listen to a
department that uses voice inversion scrambling or its a digital signal and
you may have a non-digital scanner.

Lets us know who you are trying to listen to, so we can get a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.