Culver City contracts with South Bay RCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Culver City has elected to have South Bay Regional Public Communications Authority (RCC) take over dispatching for Fire and Police services.

Press release:
https://local.nixle.com/alert/5758901/

=

p.s. - tentatively looking at a February 2017 cutover.

Last edited:

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
when is this going to start, also are they going to stay on there UHF trunk system or move over to the conventional 500 that South Bay uses.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
As posted, the tentative target cutover is February.

They will continue to use ICIS for primary comms, just the act of dispatching will no longer be inhouse, instead performed by RCC down in Hawthorne.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
What goes around... comes back?

Consolidated public safety answering point and dispatching is the future.
Ah yes, just as it was (supposed to be) 48 years ago in that part of the county. In 1968 the 10-city "South Bay-Centinela Valley Chiefs of Police Association" began planning a consolidated communications center, records management system and even a regional crime lab. (I'm just focusing on the Police side here; Fire ran kind of parallel, but overall smoother in many respects)

Big dreams often have a habit of falling down in mid-flight, and such was pretty much the case with South Bay.

Redondo Beach PD was the prime mover at first, but for some reason I don't remember they turned it over to Torrance by 1973. They - now watch this - got Culver City and Inglewood PDs to join in the grant-writing and other organizational chores. Unfortunately a tiff developed between Inglewood and Torrance about which of the two cities would host the dispatch center, and for that among other reasons Torrance dropped out entirely in mid-1974. El Segundo Chief Jim Johnson, a really dedicated guy who'd been interested in the whole idea took over. His first big headaches were decisions by Culver City and Inglewood to drop out in the Spring and Summer of 1975, leaving 7 cities to carry the built-in financial load that was to have been shared by 10.

After we went "live" in July and August of 1977, four of the remaining PDs fell away - PV Estates, Redondo, Hermosa and El Segundo - but the latter two departments eventually came back. And now Culver City. Hopefully things will run more smoothly this time, politically, operationally, and technically. Fortunately SBRPCA and all the departments have almost a half century of increasing working together, with routine stuff and emergency/disaster interoperability.

If my HTML work works, here's a couple of those early headlines:

South_Bay_Blues_1968-75.jpg

If the image doesn't show, try this: http://users.snowcrest.net/marnells/South_Bay_Blues_1968-75.jpg

Last edited:

uwsurfer

Culver City Police and Fire now quiet

The transmissions on my scanner stopped yesterday as the city migrates to the new joint powers dispatch center. There are new radios that are reportedly on the same frequencies & I'm guessing it's not a one for one conversion from old to new.

Anyone know yet what the details are so we can get our scanners tuned in again?

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
South Bay is officially dispatching. Definitely doesn't sound like the Culver City I heard yesterday, that's for sure.

Fire Department renumbering has also occurred, to fit with South Bay's format.
Engine 1 is now Engine 41
Rescue 1 is now Rescue 41
BLS 3 is now Ambulance 43
Etc etc.
WPMN535 is stated at the end of fire dispatches even though its the ICI System :)

Police transmissions begin with "South Bay to Culver City 2A43" etc.

disp10

Premium Subscriber
South Bay is officially dispatching. Definitely doesn't sound like the Culver City I heard yesterday, that's for sure.

Fire Department renumbering has also occurred, to fit with South Bay's format.
Engine 1 is now Engine 41
Rescue 1 is now Rescue 41
BLS 3 is now Ambulance 43
Etc etc.
WPMN535 is stated at the end of fire dispatches even though its the ICI System :)

Police transmissions begin with "South Bay to Culver City 2A43" etc.

Anybody know if Culver City is now in Fire Mutual Aid Area G?

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Culver City remains in Area-A with Beverly Hills and Santa Monica.

Status
Not open for further replies.