CW31 on Shortwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
I'm picking up CW31 which I think is a TV station in Sacramento on 26.110 MHz in FM!!! Never heard this one before. It's now approaching 1800 UTC and the signal just went off the air. Strange!?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not at all. You are hearing a feed signal that's evidently getting bounced via F skip (or perhaps E). I believe these are referred to as Interruptable Feedbacks or something similar to that.

There's been a report on Spaceweather that a couple of coronal mass ejections (CME) are in the process of (if they haven't already) hitting our ionosphere, so conditions are going to be a bit unsettled for a few days.

Anyway, that's a nice catch. There aren't too many of these on the air. You MIGHT even write the station (enclose a couple of stamps for return postage) and see if you can get a verification.

Mike

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
Excuse my ignorance but what would they be feeding on 26 MHz? I monitor SpaceWeather regularly and know that the sun is a little more active these days but I don't see anything really unusual. However, propagation was pretty good this morning with a lot of 11 meter activity from Mexico to Canada and all the US so maybe there was something going on.

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the link. Since getting this ICOM R-71A with the FM adapter I'm experiencing a whole new world of HF DXing! Great stuff!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is called an STL, Studio-Transmitter Link. Also called a Broadcast Auxiliary Station. CW-31 would be KMAX-TV, out of Sacramento, CA.

A list of some of them here:
VHF-Lo STL North America

T!

That's not quite what I was thinking of, but close enough, I was thinking of another name sometimes associated with stations like this - an IFB... Thanks Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Excuse my ignorance but what would they be feeding on 26 MHz? I monitor SpaceWeather regularly and know that the sun is a little more active these days but I don't see anything really unusual. However, propagation was pretty good this morning with a lot of 11 meter activity from Mexico to Canada and all the US so maybe there was something going on.

From what I understand these old 26 Mhz STLs are holdovers from the old days before satellite links became commonplace. I think I read somewhere that these freqs were kept up as a backup facility. Perhaps CW31 was having issues with their satellite linkups. Hard to say. That's why I suggested writing them - it would be interesting information to have.

Mike

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
I only heard about 2 minutes right at the end of their transmission and really didn't have time to get a recording. It took a few seconds to figure out it was FM! Luckily I heard the CW31 call sign or I wouldn't have had a clue what it was. I'll send them an email just for kicks.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
I agree with Mike about the letter.

Use to be you could catch a distance station, whether they be TV or radio broadcast, send them a letter discribing what you heard and they in turn would send you a nice QSL card, or a letter thanking you for sending them a report on their transmission at that time.
Do the stations still send out QSL cards or letters like they use to? Back in the early '60s was the last time I sent any reports in.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Sometimes these stations will reply - and enclosing a couple of US Stamps in the letter won't hurt, either.

Mike

jimvm

Kmax cw31 qsl

The chief engineer at KMAX is Bob Hess, a ham (W1RH).
One of their remote sites where the 26.11 MHz is coming from is near Georgetown.
See AG6AU repeater for pictures.

jim vm

ridgescan

Gees-when I reported catching NFM studio links out of Texas in the 25 megs last year, I was warned more than once that I was not to video, log, nor even mention it because technically it was "illegal" for a guy like me to be intercepting those transmissions. Here you guys are telling him to shoot for a QSL. lol

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
What am I missing here? It seems perfectly legal to receive these transmissions:

ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS PRIVACY ACT UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 18 : CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I : CRIMES
CHAPTER 119:
Sec. 2511:
(g) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter or chapter 121 of this title for any person :
(i) to intercept or access an electronic communication made through an
electronic communication system that is configured so that such electronic
communication is readily accessible to the general public;

ridgescan

What am I missing here? It seems perfectly legal to receive these transmissions:

CHAPTER 119:
Sec. 2511:
(g) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter or chapter 121 of this title for any person :

Join the club. Just commenting on my own experience. Go here and read from post #23 on down.
http://forums.radioreference.com/shortwave-broadcast/205914-nfm-broadcast-2.html

n5ims

CHAPTER 119:
Sec. 2511:

You're missing the legal defination of "readily accessible to the general public" as defined by US law, specifically Title 18 ("CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE"), Part 1 ("CRIMES"), Chapter 119 ("WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS INTERCEPTION AND INTERCEPTION OF ORAL COMMUNICATIONS"), Section 2510 ("Definitions"), Paragraph 16 ("‘‘readily accessible to the general public’’ means, with respect to a radio communication, that such communication is not ...") (see sub-paragraph E for this type).

18 U.S.C. 2510 - Definitions

or more specifically http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/pdf/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap119-sec2510.pdf

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ah, but you're both missing something. If the station replies that it cannot respond due to the 'broadcast being not readily available to the public' idiocy, that's still a QSL...

Besides, being on 26 Mhz, NFM and not encrypted in any way, it's hardly hidden, regardless of what the dimwit law might say. Since the CE is a ham, you might get a more sympathetic ear...

I'd still try it - Mike

Token

The specifics of the station received in this thread, its power level, location, and service, can be found here:
ULS License - Broadcast Auxiliary Remote Pickup License - KMK282 - SACRAMENTO TELEVISION STATIONS, INC - Frequencies Summary

First, do I believe it is wrong to listen to such stations? Nope, not at all. Is it legal to listen to such stations? This is where I get very unsure. This argument comes up periodically, and sometimes people say it is legal and sometimes they say it is not. I don’t know. But, there are no videos on my YouTube channel of such stations ;) Now…my log book might be a different story…

Seriously, even if this is technically illegal (to monitor a broadcast ultimately intended for public consumption but NOT on a frequency intended for public use) do the appropriate authorities have nothing better to do than go after a half a dozen radio hobbyist? Are there no more important things for them to be pursuing? I rather doubt anyone will spend time going after someone for listening to these links.

What I have seen is this:

18 U.S.C. (s) 2510 (16)
“readily accessible to the general public” means, with respect to a radio communications, that such communications is not –

(E) transmitted on frequencies allocated under part 25, subpart D, E, or F of Part 74, or Part 95 of the Rules of the Federal Communications Commission, unless, in the case of communication transmitted on a frequency allocated under Part 74 that is not exclusively allocated to broadcast auxiliary services, the communications is a two way voice communication by radio;

I think, but am not sure, that the above says it is technically illegal to monitor these auxiliary broadcast links.

Simplified, as I read it, something is deemed not readily accessible to the public, and so it cannot legally be listened to, if it is transmitted on a frequency allocated under Part 25, subparts D,E, or F of Part 74, or Part 95, and if the transmission is not a two way communication by radio.

To me this means if it is transmitted on one of these specific frequencies and it is a two way radio communication and it is not encrypted it is fair game, but other than that it gets a little less cut and dried. These auxiliary stations are not two way radio communications. And, these RP stations are indeed allocated under subpart D of Part 74. Section 74.402 (a)(2) clearly defines the frequencies (specific channelized frequencies from 25.87 to 26.47), including specifically 26.11 MHz.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.