D&D Poer Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
D&D Power Inc. is currently under contract with National Grid, and is providing some of the electrical reconstruction work on the new North-South Arterial in Utica, NY. they are using Icom mobiles and portables in the UHF range. I was able to get my hands on one of the radios for a bit. they apparently have 4 channels, with 2 being primary, and everything is simplex. Now for the interesting part...using Close Call I picked up Channel 1 as 449.000 MHZ DPL of 306, and Channel 2 as 449.050 MHZ DPL of 306. I was not able to find the frequencies for channel 3 or 4. So my question is, are they actually using amateur frequencies, or are these Mirror Images?

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
What model radio are they using ? and what state are they from ? not listed in nys for a registered corp.

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Did you see the Icom portable model number?
It is possible they are on the ham bands, possibly illegally. Can you monitor those frequencies by direct input (not close call) and see for sure?
If so, and if they are not licensed hams, you should report it to the FCC.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
I would sure like to think you were seeing images of 464.500 and 464.550 MHz (which are common itinerant business frequencies). However, it wouldn't be the first time a business just picked amateur radio frequencies and started using them.

On a side note, 469.500 is 20.5 MHz. above the 449.000 channel you hit on. I suppose they could be using the 469.500 and 469.550 frequencies rather than the 464.500 and 464.550 frequencies.

I would suggest that you try monitoring 464.500 and 464.550 MHz. with the DPL you found and see if you can hear them from a distance. Also try 469.500, 469.550 and 449 channels you found.

Kevin

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
D&D Power is based out of Albany, NY. They have a temporary work shop set up in Utica for their duration here. The portables that were used is the IC-F4230, the Mobiles were IC-F6011. The trucks were all outfitted with the mobiles, but had 800 Mhz NMO antennas. I listened directly to 449.0 and 449.050, and still got the DLP of 306. still doesnt mean its not a mirror image though. I probably wont have the chance to look at the radio again, but it was enough to spark my curiousity... I figured since they were Albany based, someone in Albany would know. It says D&D Power on the trucks, but below that in smaller print it says Utility Transport LLC...

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Listed on the state corp site.....didnt find a fcc listing...Are your sure those "NMO's" are not 6 inch unity gain UHF antennas ? 800's would be like 3 inches if i am not mistaken...

UTILITY TRANSPORT, LLC
114 WOODS LANE
MENANDS, NEW YORK, 12204

the 6011 comes in two flavors .....400-470 and 450-512MHz the 4230 comes in 4 350–400 MHz 400–470 MHz 450–512MHz 450–520 MHz

Last edited:

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Guess it will be one of my unsolved mysteries. Thunderknight, I have no reason to report them, they are not causing any harm to me. And the possibility that its a mirror frequency. Thanks for the information guys.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Guess it will be one of my unsolved mysteries. Thunderknight, I have no reason to report them, they are not causing any harm to me. And the possibility that its a mirror frequency. Thanks for the information guys.

Seeing you are ham, I would think that any intrusions into our bands would be worthy of a report to the FCC.

I think an image seems unlikely, since you are hearing them at 449 and 449.05 and they are only using appx. 4 watt radios (handhelds). And mixing seems unlikely too since you are hearing them on 2 channels.

But, I didn't hear it so I can't say for sure.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
I understand and respect your point of veiw. I look at it like this: I have no solid evidence, Not causing interference on any area repeaters, and by the time that the FCC actually got around here to investigate, the new Arterial would be finished, and D&D wouldent be here. Im assuming that their radios were set up at a radio shop. the Power Up message says D&D Power, and the mobiles in the line trucks were professionally installed.

ion_op

You can look at it another way. Amateur radio is a secondary user of the 70cm band while the primary user is military. Either way it should be reported.

Mike

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
So my question is, are they actually using amateur frequencies, or are these Mirror Images?

I recently used the Close Call feature on my BCD396XT to determine operating frequencies on what was clearly a VHF High Band portable. The hits on the first 2 channels showed as VHF High Band but the last 2 channels showed as 700 MHz frequencies, which did not make sense.

I broke out my seldom used but reliable frequency counter, and got the proper VHF High Band frequencies on those last 2 channels.

.....still wondering why in Close Call mode, 2 channels were right on, and 2 channels were inaccurate.
Conditions were the same for all 4 channels.

D

DaveNF2G

They could be operating under an itinerant license held by the radio shop that provides their radios.

This would not authorize them to be using ham frequencies, either, but it might explain why neither D&D Power nor Utility Transport show up in the FCC database.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I think this actually happens alot. Back in my construction days i worked for a company and was handed an alinco portable to flag traffic. After some invesitgation i found it was smack dab in the middle of the 2 mtr band. When i confronted my supervisor i was told they buy them online and they are $75.00 compared to the "expensive ones from graingers" (jobcoms at the time) and they continued to use them for years....

Recently i have heard a group of hunters on a couple 2 meter channels. I have called in a complaint and as of 2 years no one has called me or come to check it. Kinda discouraging...

Status
Not open for further replies.