D-Star entries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
71
I was listening to a digital signal on my HP-1 that was labelled as 'D-Stars'. I am familiar with the technology and the policy regarding Ham repeaters. I'm guessing it was some sort of emergenct net.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=5957
444.07500 RM Bay Net 5 Bay Net 5 (D-STAR Digital Only) D-STAR Emergency Ops

How should these systems be entered in the database? Could we get an 'official' DS modulation type? Or maybe these should be tagged as 'Data' or 'Other' so they aren't loaded into HP-1 or PSR-800.
 
Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
Messages
6,204
Reaction score
73
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

There already is a mode for it and it is already listed as such
 

lbfd09

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
492
Reaction score
1
Location
California
Are you actually able to understand the conversations over the D-Star repeaters? The vocoder used in D-Star is the same as used in P25. There are some mods that will allow a commercial P25 radio to decipher D-Star instead of P25.

Are you able to decipher the conversations on D-Star or just able to hear the data stream? If the latter, best for those to not be listed on RR. If this unit is able to receive D-Star, wow, what a great feature.

That is the WW6BAY D-Star repeater.

:confused:
 
Last edited:

b52hbuff

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
71
Awesome! Can you let me know where I could have found out about it?

I searched the database forum for 'star' and 'd-star' and didn't see a mention here. Then I went to the administrators guide, to see if there was an update. Guides are here:
Database Administrator Handbook - The RadioReference Wiki

...and it shows that 1.4 is the current version. I looked there and I see:
6.2.5.6. FREQUENCY MODES
When adding or editing conventional frequencies, you must specify the “mode” in which the frequency is used. If multiple modes are used on a given frequency, create a separate frequency entry for each mode with an appropriate description.
The modes currently supported by the RR database are:
 1 – FM, frequency modulation analog voice
 2 – P25, Project 25 digital voice
 3 – AM, amplitude modulation analog voice
 4 – FMN, narrowband frequency modulation analog voice
 5 – Telm, data
 6 – TRBO, digital voice (“MOTOTRBO”)
 7 – NEXEDGE, digital voice

So it looks like you're already on top of this, but I wanted to know how I might have missed it and how I can learn about new modulations...
 

b52hbuff

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
71
Are you able to decipher the conversations on D-Star or just able to hear the data stream? If the latter, best for those to not be listed on RR. If this unit is able to receive D-Star, wow, what a great feature.

:confused:

The HP-1 did not decode the D-star data stream. I don't have any experience with D-star and the only reason I made a guess is because of the alpha tag.
 

kma371

QRT
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
Messages
6,204
Reaction score
73
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

The admin guide needs to be updated because dstar is mode 6 now
 

ST-Bob

Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2010
Messages
528
Reaction score
2
Location
Worcester, MA, USA
But of course D-Star is used primarily by amateur radio operators and Ham frequencies mostly do not comply with the DB Administrator's Handbook guidelines for inclusion in the database. Unless the frequency/repeater qualifies as one of the following then it should not be in the database.

o ARES
o RACES
o Skywarn
o Emergency management/homeland security

As far as I'm aware, D-Star is used primarily for general-use or club repeaters where a group of hams want to experiment with digital comms. Since it's an exclusive type of communication which is not common to most ham radio equipment I can't see how it would ever qualify for use under the categories above. It would be of little use for emergency communications due to the relatively few amateur operators who posses the equipment to utilize it.
 

wa8pyr

Retired and playing radio whenever I want.
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Joined
Sep 22, 2002
Messages
8,333
Reaction score
5,280
Location
Ohio
As far as I'm aware, D-Star is used primarily for general-use or club repeaters where a group of hams want to experiment with digital comms. Since it's an exclusive type of communication which is not common to most ham radio equipment I can't see how it would ever qualify for use under the categories above. It would be of little use for emergency communications due to the relatively few amateur operators who posses the equipment to utilize it.

Actually, there are a number of wide-area systems available for emergency use now; one of these has nodes throughout Ohio, and many EMA/Homeland Security agencies are being equipped to use it.
 

kma371

QRT
Joined
Feb 20, 2001
Messages
6,204
Reaction score
73
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

ST-Bob said:
But of course D-Star is used primarily by amateur radio operators and Ham frequencies mostly do not comply with the DB Administrator's Handbook guidelines for inclusion in the database. Unless the frequency/repeater qualifies as one of the following then it should not be in the database.

o ARES
o RACES
o Skywarn
o Emergency management/homeland security

As far as I'm aware, D-Star is used primarily for general-use or club repeaters where a group of hams want to experiment with digital comms. Since it's an exclusive type of communication which is not common to most ham radio equipment I can't see how it would ever qualify for use under the categories above. It would be of little use for emergency communications due to the relatively few amateur operators who posses the equipment to utilize it.

If you looked at the freq in question, you would see that it follows the guidelines otherwise we would be having this discussion :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top