Icom: D Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Maybe someone can explain this better. I have three radios...ID51, ID31, and now the 705. I registered, did the call sign and then call sign plus Z. It says for each radio I should do a separate callsign enter. I'm totally lost. Does this mean create two more terminals under my call sign followed by let's say X and the other S? Then how do I program the call sign into my radio? Would I program my call and then put the "initial" in the 8th spot? Thanks everyone

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I don't think anyone can explain it. :) :) D-STAR has to be THE most complicated digital mode there is. DMR is a breeze compared to it.

But for what it's worth.... When I got my first D-STAR radio, I registered myself on the system. I just put a space in the box rather than an initial. All I have is that one registration.

Since then I've purchased two more D-Star capable radios and now have three. Perhaps I'm screwing things up by not registering them seperately, but they all work on the local repeaters just fine.

I 'think' if you want to run all your radios simultaneously through hotspots, then each has to be set up with a terminal. But I've never done that, so I don't know for sure.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Not really. Unless my local repeater killed the D Star access, which is possible, I have three D Star radios. According to those instructions three checked must be made. So does this mean programming the radio with my call sign, a space, and then a letter so I can access? This is where I get lost. I have one terminal marked simply as N2MWE and my radio is programmed N2MWE, yet it cannot access anything. I'll wait until I can access another D Star repeater and see what happens

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Have you tried to contact the owner of the D-STAR repeater that you are trying to access? They may be able to give you some insight into how to configure your radio to use their repeater.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
[/QUOTE]
Have you tried to contact the owner of the D-STAR repeater that you are trying to access? They may be able to give you some insight into how to configure your radio to use their repeater.
I plan to though they're not very responsive. I think it's this initial thing that has me confused. My ID31 a couple years back was N2MWE A. My ID51 was N2MWE I believe with a space. My old registration was terminated, and I re-registered. I never saw the Access Point Z before. Now my biggest question is do I assign this initial for each radio, and then reprogram my callsign in the radios with the initials. This is where I am lost

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If I had several mobile and handheld radios that offer D-Star, I would only register my callsign and use that same callsign for each radio. I would not use multiple initial letter extensions for each radio. By using the same one on each radio, if someone wants to contact me they just use my callsign for the destination. This will route them to the last (connected) repeater I used and then to me. I guess you could make people guess which radio you last used and the unique initial you assigned for each radio, but why do that? You're just goofing yourself and others.

For example, if I visit Colorado I would ID on a local D-Star repeater there so the system knows where I was last at and can route to me. My friends anywhere on the planet would simply use my same callsign as the destination...and it would route to me. Just because one can assign a unique initial for each radio does not mean they should. Still, I am not a D-Star expert and could be wrong.

You can enter N2MWE and two spaces in your radio, or N2MWE A (whichever is currently valid). Then just use that "one" for all of your radios...or not and make people guess and or decide it simply isn't worth bothering.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
If I had several mobile and handheld radios that offer D-Star, I would only register my callsign and use that same callsign for each radio. I would not use multiple initial letter extensions for each radio. By using the same one on each radio, if someone wants to contact me they just use my callsign for the destination. This will route them to the last (connected) repeater I used and then to me. I guess you could make people guess which radio you last used and the unique initial you assigned for each radio, but why do that? You're just goofing yourself and others.

For example, if I visit Colorado I would ID on a local D-Star repeater there so the system knows where I was last at and can route to me. My friends anywhere on the planet would simply use my same callsign as the destination...and it would route to me. Just because one can assign a unique initial for each radio does not mean they should. Still, I am not a D-Star expert and could be wrong.

You can enter N2MWE and two spaces in your radio, or N2MWE A (whichever is currently valid). Then just use that "one" for all of your radios...or not and make people guess and or decide it simply isn't worth bothering.

This makes more sense to me. Apparently D Star has changed quite a bit since I last used it a few years back. I'll sign in and fix it and delete the initial callsigns, except for Z which I understand one must have. Thanks.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Had a chance to play around a bit. I am able to access reflectors through my DVAP Dongle, but not the local DStar repeater. The sponsor email is no good, so I'm going to assume the DStar on my local machine is not connected to the network. Vagrant I programmed all my radios with just my call sign, same with the gateway reg. All radios are accessing through the DVAP. I'll have to wait until I pass through another D Star machine area and see what happens

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, Internet access at some locations can be unavailable, or too costly for the individual or club to sponsor for the repeater. A buddy and I run some low level Yaesu Fusion repeaters at our homes that we linked to his Fusion room. He is around 20 miles away and we are at the outer edge of the communities between us. Our combined coverage allows others to join in and cover a larger RF area, as well as others coming in via the Internet.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Yeah weird thing it used to work and used to very active, but no longer. I'm thinking since I got through on the DVAP my radio is programmed properly. Thanks and 73

Status
Not open for further replies.