Daily Email Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzdiesel

I got my daily emails a few minutes ago. None of the links were in link form. I would've had to copy & paste. I don't know if it was on my end or the board. I hope I posted this in the right place.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
All of mine came in as links. That said, a few days ago we had mail server failure, you probably noticed we didn't get any overnight emails, and over the weekend we were having intermittent CloudFlair problems. I don't say that either of these is the cause of your problem, just adding information to the mix.

bezking

I got my daily emails a few minutes ago. None of the links were in link form. I would've had to copy & paste. I don't know if it was on my end or the board. I hope I posted this in the right place.
That typically has something to do with your email client. Who is your service provider and what are you using to read your mail?

zzdiesel

That typically has something to do with your email client. Who is your service provider and what are you using to read your mail?
My provider is New Wave Communications and I use Outlook 2010 for email. All other emails still have links enabled which is what is driving me bonkers. :confused:

zzdiesel

More weirdness. The links on every email to unsubscribe to threads are all in link form, but the others still are not. This is occurring on my desktop & my laptop.

tracker1

I'm seeing exactly the same problem on Outlook 2007. It started a few days back. I did some research and think my Outlook client is classifying radioreference emails as "Junk Email". See Block or unblock links in suspicious phishing messages - Outlook - Office.com. Just now I've right clicked on a radioreference email and added them to the "Safe Senders" list. I also went into Tools > Options > Preferences > Junk EMail and unclicked "Disable links and other functionality in phishing messages". We'll see tomorrow if that fixes it. I do believe the mail server failure is what initiated the problem though.

ScannerSK

Format of daily e-mail notifications changed?

Did something change specifically between December 2nd and December 3rd in the formatting of e-mail notifications? Starting December 3rd, the formatting of my e-mail notifications changed dramatically basically scrunching everything together into long lines. My service provider is SkyBeam and I am using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 SP3. Below is example of a notification prior to Dec. 3rd and an example of how notifications began to appear on Dec. 3rd.

December 2nd:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear ScannerSK,

You are subscribed to the forum Severe Weather / Storm Chasing, there have been 1 new thread(s) and 0 updated thread(s).
Severe Weather / Storm Chasing - The RadioReference.com Forums

The following threads are new:
Skywarn recognition day
http://forums.radioreference.com/severe-weather-storm-chasing/227053-skywarn-recognition-day.html
In forum: Severe Weather / Storm Chasing Started by: joen7xxx Last post: 12-03-2011 12:41 AM

The following threads have been updated:

All the best,
The RadioReference.com Forums

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this forum, please visit this page:
http://forums.radioreference.com/su...id=5120&auth=e76d56dfbb5982a5587147500fba2e6d

December 3rd:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear ScannerSK, You are subscribed to the forum Severe Weather / Storm Chasing, there have been 1 new thread(s) and 0 updated thread(s). http://forums.radioreference.com/severe-weather-storm-chasing/ The following threads are new: ************ Looking for new NOAA WX radio http://forums.radioreference.com/severe-weather-storm-chasing/227060-looking-new-noaa-wx-radio.html In forum: Severe Weather / Storm Chasing Started by: mjw357 Last post: 12-03-2011 08:53 AM The following threads have been updated: All the best, The RadioReference.com Forums ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unsubscription information: To unsubscribe from this forum, please visit this page: http://forums.radioreference.com/su...id=5120&auth=e76d56dfbb5982a5587147500fba2e6d

Last edited:

zzdiesel

I'm seeing exactly the same problem on Outlook 2007. It started a few days back. I did some research and think my Outlook client is classifying radioreference emails as "Junk Email". See Block or unblock links in suspicious phishing messages - Outlook - Office.com. Just now I've right clicked on a radioreference email and added them to the "Safe Senders" list. I also went into Tools > Options > Preferences > Junk EMail and unclicked "Disable links and other functionality in phishing messages". We'll see tomorrow if that fixes it. I do believe the mail server failure is what initiated the problem though.
This is a good thought, but I don't think this is it. Usually a link still appears to be a link when Outlook disables it. It just won't work. The links discussed here are like regular text. :confused:

zzdiesel

Did something change specifically between December 2nd and December 3rd in the formatting of e-mail notifications? Starting December 3rd, the formatting of my e-mail notifications changed dramatically basically scrunching everything together into long lines. My service provider is SkyBeam and I am using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 SP3. Below is example of a notification prior to Dec. 3rd and an example of how notifications began to appear on Dec. 3rd.

December 2nd:
Dear ScannerSK,

You are subscribed to the forum Severe Weather / Storm Chasing, there have been 1 new thread(s) and 0 updated thread(s).
Severe Weather / Storm Chasing - The RadioReference.com Forums

The following threads are new:
Skywarn recognition day
http://forums.radioreference.com/severe-weather-storm-chasing/227053-skywarn-recognition-day.html
In forum: Severe Weather / Storm Chasing Started by: joen7xxx Last post: 12-03-2011 12:41 AM

The following threads have been updated:

All the best,
The RadioReference.com Forums

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this forum, please visit this page:
http://forums.radioreference.com/su...id=5120&auth=e76d56dfbb5982a5587147500fba2e6d

December 3rd:
Dear ScannerSK, You are subscribed to the forum Severe Weather / Storm Chasing, there have been 1 new thread(s) and 0 updated thread(s). Severe Weather / Storm Chasing - The RadioReference.com Forums The following threads are new: ************ Looking for new NOAA WX radio http://forums.radioreference.com/severe-weather-storm-chasing/227060-looking-new-noaa-wx-radio.html In forum: Severe Weather / Storm Chasing Started by: mjw357 Last post: 12-03-2011 08:53 AM The following threads have been updated: All the best, The RadioReference.com Forums ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unsubscription information: To unsubscribe from this forum, please visit this page: http://forums.radioreference.com/su...id=5120&auth=e76d56dfbb5982a5587147500fba2e6d
Thanks. You explained it well. I was afraid I was the only one.

ScannerSK

This is unusual...

I am guessing this issue is related to Outlook and a change in the message format from Radio Reference. When I copy one of the correctly formatted e-mails to my desktop it does not change at all when I open it. However, when I copy one of the incorrectly formatted e-mails to my desktop and then open it the format changes dramatically and looks a little more like normal however possibly double spaced!

Possibly Outlook is applying some type of automated rule based on a hidden or unusual character being sent in the recent e-mails? What is the first character in the body of the e-mail (a space or a paragraph character)?

Shawn

ScannerSK

One additional item I noticed is that all the improperly formatted Radio Reference notifications (every notification since Dec. 3rd) have a from e-mail address that begins with the word "bounces". I wonder what that means?

Radio Reference notifications prior to Dec. 3rd have a from e-mail address of "The RadioReference.com Forums [forums@radioreference.com]".

There must be a few kinks Radio Reference is still working out with the new server.

Shawn

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Email notifications

It does look like every line is now double spaced.
I am also seeing this and wonder if it was intended. The new "format" is a lot harder to read. I get my email via Outlook, Eudora and web-based clients. It's not the client.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Did something change specifically between December 2nd and December 3rd in the formatting of e-mail notifications? ...

One additional item I noticed is that all the improperly formatted Radio Reference notifications (every notification since Dec. 3rd) have a from e-mail address that begins with the word "bounces". I wonder what that means?

Radio Reference notifications prior to Dec. 3rd have a from e-mail address of "The RadioReference.com Forums [forums@radioreference.com]".

There must be a few kinks Radio Reference is still working out with the new server.

Shawn

I am also seeing this and wonder if it was intended. The new "format" is a lot harder to read. I get my email via Outlook, Eudora and web-based clients. It's not the client.

Folks, despite the flurry of changes you are seeing, and gmclam, despite your insistence on it not be client related, I am pretty sure nothing changed on the site side of the notifications. Now, on November 27th, close to midnight (CST) the mail server died. It was replaced and restored by mid-morning on the 28th. But that should not have caused any change in the notifications (other than missing one "overnight" group of notifications) and if so, the dates don't seem to match.

Based on what folks have said (ref the quotes above) I looked at my notifications from the 1st through the 4th and don't notice any change in the format, links, etc. Since my mail comes directly from the site (my address is @radioreference.com) I don't have a web-based way of looking at the email, but when I get it, it looks just the same. Now, I am not using any of the clients you folks have mentioned, I use Apple Mail.

It is quite apparent something is going on, but I would look to the MS versions of these clients first for an explanation. I wish some of the other staff members (not using Apple hardware/software) would jump in here. If there is/was a change in the actual format going out it might not be apparent to Lindsay (who also uses Apple hardware/software).

ScannerSK

I noticed all the properly formatted notifications (notifications prior to Dec. 3rd) state in the header message: "Received: from util1.radioreference.com (66.135.49.33 [66.135.49.33])"

The improperly formatted notifications (all notifications from Dec. 3rd onward) state in the header message: "Received: from o1.email.radioreference.com (173.193.133.198 [173.193.133.198])"

The first address (66.135.49.33) references ServerBeach located in San Antonio, Texas.
The second address (173.193.133.198) references SoftLayer Technologies located in Dallas, Texas.

Shawn

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We moved our notification emails to a new mail delivery service called "SendGrid" which does a better job of getting the emails to users and preventing the emails from being classified as SPAM.

On unintended consequence is that plain text emails tend to run through Sendgrid as double spaced. We're looking in to it.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.