Database submissions reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Guys and gals -

This is not pointed to any one specific person, as lately in this state (and a few others I manage) the submission format, information and quality has been less than ideal or a struggle for me and other admins. Its a post a long time coming, but since I have today off...

When submitting information for review to the database, please keep these in mind:

-Is the information already in the database?
--If the agency is state or federal, please submit under that section, and not with a specific county

-Please do not submit town information under "Statewide"

-National (NIFOG) freq's are listed in the national database and will not be duplicated under the towns/states. If non-standard PL's etc are used, they may be included locally.

-Please submit as much information as possible, including PL/DPL/NAC codes, if possible. Please also note how you came across this (personal monitoring, job, employee, etc). This helps to understand what might have been acquired with unclear submissions.

-Please state the use of the freq. Do not submit "33.80 - Fire" when it is known that it is a "Fire Dispatch", or "Fireground 2". The more specific you can be (even examples of what you are hearing) will go a long way to properly categorize the information in the right spot

-Information taken from other websites or forums is not allowed to be included in the database. This is done to play nice with other hobbyist sites. If you posts on here and there, then by all means send us a submission. If you happen to read someone else's work and submit "I saw this on www.xyz.com so we need to add it", that's a no go. Its considered unconfirmed information.

-DO NOT submit FCC only based information. This means if you ware scrolling thru recent license grants and see that ABC EMS just got a new channel, do not take that information and submit it. It use needs to be verified.

-DO feel free to look up FCC callsign information and/or lat/long information for trunked sites if it is known to be in the same place. DO be careful on what you submit and make sure that what you are seeing if for the proper sites. Some wide area trunking systems have blanket callsigns and multiple sites/information can overlap.

-DO NOT ask questions via the database. If you are reading this now, you ARE in the right spot to ask questions

-HAM radio submissions: Include the repeater output AND input freq (and in/out PL's if used). Also include the TOWN/COUNTY/SITE in which the repeater is located. There are non-hams the admin the DB and they may not know what 147.000+ means. If it is a club repeater, include that information and will be listed space permitting. This allows a proper listing of the repeaters and an easy to identify location for those who are not familiar to the area. "Bob's Peak" may not be on every map, but the Town of Anywhere is.

Please check your private messages or email after submitting information. I mainly use the "submission notes" option to keep track of why things when into the database a certain way. This leaves a short conversation between the submitter and I on why things are listed in the database. I only use this to seek clarification of submitted information. Failure to reply may result in a "poor" or "rejected" submission. After a certain threshold, a high negative rating may prevent a user from submitting information. This is done to maintain the quality and integrity of our information and not as a punishment.

Just remember the old saying, "Garbage in, garbage out". Lets all help to keep this a great resource for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.