Davis county newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie1313

I use a Whistler 1040 and it works well (for now) and it is not expensive.
It works with p25 digital, so when I travel to Idaho, Wyoming, or any of our national parks, I get reception.
Hill AFB is also p25 digital.
If you get a 1040, I can program it for you with Win500.
you get:
Unified Police, Salt Lake City, Other Salt Lake cities, Davis County, Weber/Box Elder, Cache/Rich, Tooele/Summit, Utah County, Washington County, SE Utah, Idaho ICAWIN, Wyoming WYOLINK.
NOTE: Tooele & Summit are distant from each other, each with a small amount of talk groups.
So, as I travel along Interstate 80 from Wendover to Evanston, as one site goes out of range,
another site comes into range. Example: Wendover Peak, Delle, South Mtn., etc.

I realize you spoke about Hill AFB, but since I am employed there, I do not discuss their radio system on any public forum. I'm sure everyone here can understand.

Your travels are pretty much the same as my travels. If we could clone that that would be awesome.

I'll message you.

Sondeesrider

Congratulations.
I know of five ways to program your WS1040:
1. Buy it pre-programmed for your area.
2. Buy the Win500 software and program it yourself. (maybe a day or two)
3. Have someone with Win500 upload a program to your WS1040. (30 seconds)
4. Have another person with a 1040, clone your scanner from theirs. (30 seconds)
5. Spend a week with the 1040 keypad and program it manually.

I can either clone your scanner, or make you a different program.
If you want to do that, then we would need to agree to meet at some public place.

If you want your own program, then we should discuss the details privately.
You will have to specify what channels you want, and what sites.
The topography of Davis County is such that full coverage is not possible
from a single site. Example: somewhere north of Fruit Heights, Davis Simul
is not receivable, you would need Francis Peak.
Learning very quickly that the manual way is not the way to go. I have Apple computers so I thought I would do this manual boy was I stupid. Will be posting my own little question soon

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I'm jumping in here late. I have SDS100, TRX-1&2, and the GRE500. The SDS is (for me), an extremely complicated radio to program using Sentinel. Both my TRX-1's are out on loan to family wanting to monitor the "protests" in SLCo. The GRE is used for daily listening in S Davis Co.
A get together sounds nice.

Premium Subscriber
Now I have nothing to base this against, as my last scanner 15 years ago was programmed by a local.... I find one of the neatest things of my SDS100 is the programming via Sentinel.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Now I have nothing to base this against, as my last scanner 15 years ago was programmed by a local.... I find one of the neatest things of my SDS100 is the programming via Sentinel.
I know my biggest issue with Sentinel,,,, is I'm an old dog, attempting to learn a new trick. I found marksscanners web site, and it has helped. Along with a manual. I will learn. With the new radio management methods, I miss being able to go straight to what i want. "manual" "punch in memory location" "enter" you are now listening to the 1 channel you want.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I know my biggest issue with Sentinel,,,, is I'm an old dog, attempting to learn a new trick. I found marksscanners web site, and it has helped. Along with a manual. I will learn. With the new radio management methods, I miss being able to go straight to what i want. "manual" "punch in memory location" "enter" you are now listening to the 1 channel you want.
Example--I had to research how to add the "wildcard TG" to the SLC PS system, and am now hear more TG's.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
My Whistler 1040 showed up today. Haven’t even opened the box yet.

Now to figure out programming...
How ya doing? I assume you have opened the box by now. Do you have software to program it, yet? (not the box, what was in the box) I also have WIN500 and will share my "code plug". I use a PSR500 for day to day listening in South Davis Co.

shadowerr

Premium Subscriber
I'm jumping in here late. I have SDS100, TRX-1&2, and the GRE500. The SDS is (for me), an extremely complicated radio to program using Sentinel. Both my TRX-1's are out on loan to family wanting to monitor the "protests" in SLCo. The GRE is used for daily listening in S Davis Co.
A get together sounds nice.

Jumping in way late too.... I hope you're wrong @gldavis about the programming being complicated on the SDS100. I just got the SDS100 but haven't have the time to dive in yet other than watching a few videos. I have a PSR-500, which I love and is fairly easy to program and a RS PRO-96. The last Uniden I bought was a SC150 which is still in use today. Thanks to all for keeping this hobby alive & well.

Premium Subscriber
@shadowerr

I really like Sentinel. Play with it and things will eventually make sense.

I am a visual learner, so the YouTube videos help. Recently "The Scanner Guys Live" did a show specifically on Sentinel.

Heck, I even learned a few new things from that episode about Sentinel, and I've been using it for a year and a half!

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Learn something new each day. I was unaware of the "no coverage" situation. That does explain a few things.
For Hoodie1313 - How ya doin'? Get it figured out yet?
We are here to help. Just let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.