SDS100/SDS200: DCS intermittent squelch tail

sacscan

I have a bank of conventional 800 MHz frequencies programmed in my SDS200. All but one use CTCSS. The one frequency that uses DCS sometimes has an annoying squelch tail. None of the frequencies with a CTCSS tone programmed have this issue. I have my squelch set on 2. Is there any solution?

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
It may just be something to do with that particular channel. I have a similar thing that happens on my county's FIRE/EMS channel that's on a P25 trunked system. That particular P25 talkgroup keys up the conventional FIRE/EMS repeater. Also, any of the old analog radios that key up the repeater will broadcast on the P25 system. About 50% of the time, there is a very loud squelch tail and some static that carries over with it, even though the conventional repeater uses CTCSS. It's pretty annoying, but it affects subscriber radios the same.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
That annoying squelch tail may be a data burst. The burst is audible and contains information such as radio ID. These data bursts can appear at either the fro t of a transmission or the rear.

RFI-EMI-GUY

DCS squelch tail elimination is via a 136 Hz tone sent at the end of transmission. If that tone is not present there will be squelch noise. The other explanation is poor design of the SDS receiver.

sacscan

I was unable to edit my post not long after making it, so I need to make a correction. I went through that bank of 800 MHz conventional frequencies again, and there are actually two that have a DCS tone programmed (a State Parks one with a DCS of 115, and a college PD one with a DCS of 026). However, only the frequency with the 026 DCS tone has the intermittent squelch tail. I'm guessing that it's an issue with that particular repeater then.